Top Ten Tuesday, as always, is hosted at my other blog — The Broke & the Bookish
This week’s topic: Top Ten 2016 Debuts
I chose to talk about debuts that are published from January to June because 1) I have so may I’m excited about next year and 2) some of them don’t have covers and let’s be real we are all here for the pretty covers instead of a blank NO COVER rectangle I would have made.
SO IN NO ORDER AT ALL:
- The Girl From Everywhere: TIME TRAVEL (omg so many time travel books in 2016 and I’m pumped). I am already loving the locations and the time periods referenced in the summary — modern day NYC, Honolulu in 1868 and mythic Scandinavia.
- A Fierce And Subtle Poison: This one showed up randomly in my mailbox and the cover was SO striking. Then I read the summary? MAGICAL REALISM + MYSTERY. Thank the book gods.
- Into The Dim: More time travel, yo! EEEEEP. Scotland and time travel and a main character trying to save her mother (in 72 hours) who is trapped in the 12th century. *empties wallet*
- The Serpent King: I’ve been following Jeff for a little bit on Twitter and he’s a really top notch dude and I’m sooooo excited for his book as I’ve heard sosososoooo many amazing things! It seems like one of those contemporary books that will be a favorite for me from what people say!
- Suffer Love: I LOVE Ashley (go follow her on Twitter!!) and cannot wait to read this! Looks like a fun and complicated romance!!
- Ivory and Bone: I first heard about Ivory and Bone after I met Julie at a event locally and I went to follow her and saw her book was coming out and immediately was like OMG NEED. Set in a prehistoric age? TAKE ALL MY MONEY, JULIE.
- Where Futures End: I can’t even explain what this book is about so here is part of the summary: “One year from now, Dylan develops a sixth sense that allows him to glimpse another world. Ten years from now, Brixney must get more hits on her social media feed or risk being stuck in a debtors’ colony. Thirty years from now, Epony scrubs her entire online profile from the web and goes “High Concept.” Sixty years from now, Reef struggles to survive in a city turned virtual gameboard. And more than a hundred years from now, Quinn uncovers the alarming secret that links them all. Five people, divided by time, will determine the fate of us all. These are stories of a world bent on destroying itself, and of the alternate world that might be its savior–unless it’s too late.” HOLY EFF.
- These Vicious Masks: “Jane Austen meets X-Men in this thrilling Victorian adventure” YEP YOU BET THIS IS ON MY LIST.
- The Love That Split The World: Friday Night Lights meets The Time Traveler’s Wife. Two of my favorite things in life???????
- Love, Lies & Spies: 19th century + spies + romance!
- The Year We Fell Apart: God this one is going to kill me. A girl coping with her mother’s cancer diagnosis, makes mistakes — including destroying her relationship with her best friend — and trying to learn and right her past mistakes. Looks like an emotional one fo sho.
- Assassin’s Heart: Fantasy! Assassins! Yeay!
- If I Was Your Girl: This sounds like a beautiful book about a transgender girl falling in love with a guy and navigating this secret she’s kept about the fact she was physically born Andrew and not Amanda and wondering if he can see her for who she is.
- The Way I Used To Be: :In the tradition of Speak, this extraordinary debut novel shares the unforgettable story of a young woman as she struggles to find strength in the aftermath of an assault.” Speak is one of my all time favorite books and this looks to be another powerful one albeit going to be hard to read.
- Sword & Verse: A world where literacy is a capital offense? Take me to the jails then! This fantasy sounds awesome!
- The Museum of Heartbreak: Reminds me a tinge of Jenny Han’s To All The Boys I Love Before in a way. Looks like a super cute contemporary and I’m curious to see what her little museums of heartbreak looks like and how it helps her deal with life things.