Top Ten Tuesday–Favorite Authors!

Another Top Ten Tuesday over at The Broke and the Bookish!

1. Jonathan Safran Foer – As if you all already didn’t know this!
2. Jack Kerouac — I know alot of people hate him but I can’t get enough of him and the rest of the Beat generation.
3. Sylvia Plath- Loved The Bell Jar. Still need to read her poetry! From the snippets I’ve read, I like!
4. Jane Austen– This is probably going to be on everybody’s list!
5. Lois Lowry– I read The Giver more times than I’ve ever read any other book. Her other books are good but the Giver is the best!
6. JD Salinger- Love him or hate him. LOVE him. Something about his characters always resonates with me. What does that say about me? I don’t know.
7. Markus Zusack — When you can bring me to tears and make me go through a WHOLE box of tissues, you win. His books are extremely moving and I never want to put them down.
8. Carolyn Keene — Umm..Nancy Drew! Enough said! These books will always be a favorite!
9. Nicole Krauss– Ok, what can I say, I’m a tad obsessed with her and her hubby, Jonathan Safran Foer. Her writing is beautiful and her stories are incredibly moving!
10. Gabriel Garcia Marquez– I was always scared to read him but I fell in love with his overly verbose style! :)

What about you? Who are your favorites? What MAKES an author your favorite? I find that my reasons are different for each!

Comments

1. Hey Jamie, nice list! Just a heads up though, Lois Lowry is a woman.

2. LOL that's what I get when I'm doing this at work. Although, up until I joined Goodreads, I really did think it was a man! I guess I can't get away from that thinking! Thanks for pointing that out! :)

3. TNBBC Super Mod says:

Not surprising that JSF was your number one!

Mine would look something like this: Jose Saramago, Jules Verne, Cormac McCarthy, Per Petterson (even tho I have only read one of his novels so far!), Glen Duncan, Christopher Moore….

Hmmm.. that is only 6!!!!

4. April (BooksandWine) says:

Let's be BFFs and hang out, because your list is a list after my own heart.

NANCY DREW HOLLA ATCHA GIRLLLLL.

AH, and the Beats. I love the BEATS. I basically love all of the authors on this list!

5. None of them made it onto my list primarily because of the one's I've read, I've only read one of their books. Of those (Foer, Kerouac, Salinger), I'd choose Kerouac. I loved "On the Road", and thing of IT as "the Great American Novel." I have Marquez' "One Hundred Years…" on Mount TBR.

6. I've never read The Giver. I must do so soon.

7. Yep, Jane Austen made my list! Also The Giver really is so amazing – one of the first dystopian YA novels and definitely still one of the best.

8. Oh! I haven't read The Bell Jar, but I've read (most of) her Unabridged Journals. You definitely need to check that anthology out. It's incredible.

9. tediousandbrief says:

I need to someday finish a Jane Austen novel and read Bell Jar. I had it out from the library for the longest time, but couldn't get to reading it.

Kerouac's On the Road is one of my best friend's favorite books of all time. She got me to buy a copy and read it and I just couldn't get into it. :(

10. IngridLola says:

AWESOME list Jamie. These are some quality choices (in my opinion.) I love Sylvia Plath (& Ted Hughes) so much!

11. I just listened to a podcast about Gabriel Garcia Marquez and I got really excited so I think I'll take the plunge quite soon.

12. I don't have any of these authors on my list. However, Lois Lowry was a favourite of mine when I was younger!
    My list is at http://lusravesandrants.blogspot.com/2010/10/top-ten-tuesday.html

13. bibliophiliac says:

A very diverse list. Can you believe I forgot Jane Austen? It was that bad of a day at work!

14. readerbuzz says:

A big yes from for Lois Lowry and especially The Giver. She is on my list.

My complete list is at http://www.readerbuzz.blogspot.com

15. Christine Marie says:

Love your list! Carolyn Keene started my love affair with books. Lowry has written the most resounding books ever, and I didn't know she was a she! Haha :)

16. christina says:

Love me some Krausse and did not realize that was her husband!

17. Christine Marie says:

Hi! I just gave you a blog award! Please check it out at http://istinnn.blogspot.com/2010/10/blog-award.html

18. You just reminded me that i always wanted to read The Giver.

Cassandra Clare is my favourite author of the moment. I've had a few people say that I write like her too – what a great compliment

19. I've wanted to read The Bell Jar for ages. My friend read it a couple years ago and loved it. And yay Nancy Drew :) I haven't read them in ages, but I loved those books when I was younger!