Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at my other blog– The Broke and the Bookish. This week it is top ten books for the holidays! Now it might seem like it’s early to talk about the holidays BUT this is the time that I like to start getting into the mood! After Thanksgiving you can officially find me rockin’ the Christmas tunes and movies!
I couldn’t really think of 10 books so I’m doing a “top ten things that will be getting me in the holiday spirit!”
1. Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares: This book has been on my TBR list for a while especially after going to see David Levithan and Rachel Cohn at my local indie. This book is set during the holidays time and looks like a hilariously cute read that I am most excited for!
2. The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus — I won this via Goodreads Giveaway program so I’ll be reading this. I miss believing in Santa Claus! Those were the good ol’ days before college loans and car insurance.
3. How the Grinch Stole Christmas! — I will be reading both the book AND watching the original movie! And just maybe I’ll watch the newer version. We’ll see. This was my mom’s favorite thing to watch during Christmas so I must carry on that tradition.
4. The Original Christmas Classics (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer/Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town/Frosty the Snowman/Frosty Returns/Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol/Little Drummer Boy/Cricket on the Hearth): My boyfriend bought me this last Christmas because he knows my love for all my favorite childhood Christmas movies. SO excited!
5. Maybe This Christmas/Maybe This Christmas Tree/Maybe This Christmas Too cds– I am typically a lover of all the classic songs and scoff at all the new versions of my favorites but these cds are AMAZING. Let’s just name drop right now– Phantom Planet, Death Cab, Polyphonic Spree, Bright Eyes and Coldplay. And that’s just dropping a few names!
6. Hanson’s Snowed In cd— Don’t hate! This brings back very great memories. I used to be obsessed with Hanson and to my HORROR (and secret delight) my MOTHER bought this cd when it came out and my tween self was all like, “OMG I can’t believe my mother is trying to be cool and listen to the same music I am! EW.”
7. Mint Chocolate Hot Chocolate — I have stocked up on hot chocolate already. This one happens to be my current favorite! A mug of hot cocoa and a book in my hand while curled up by the fireplace just oozes “Christmas time.”
8. Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris — I read this last year during the holidays and will probably do so again as it is so short and I need my holiday snark.
9. Christmas with the Rat Pack — It would be a travesty to not spend Christmas with Frank Sinatra and the gang. Seriously. C-L-A-S-S-I-C! And Dean Martin is pretty dreamy.
10. Elf — I LOVE Will Ferrell and this movie has very much made it into my “getting in the spirit” tradition! But let’s be honest…Zooey Deschanel is the real reason I watch this one! She is my dream best friend. Ok, ok, if I had to ever declare a girl crush it would be on her! 🙂
and because I can:
11. The Glee Christmas album — I love Glee. I love Christmas music. The end.
An honorable mention that I probably won’t get to this year– Little Women. I love reading this one during the holidays!
VERY IMPORTANT EDIT: Sometimes when I write these up I’m a moron. I forgot two of my favorites–Home Alone and Love Actually! Thank you to Liz from Consumed by Books for reminding me!!
What about you guys? What things get you in the holiday spirit? Do share! And if you want some suggestions for a great eclectic Christmas mix…email me. I’m the queen of mixtapes and Christmas music! 🙂