Top Ten Tuesday: The Holiday Edition!

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at my other blog– The Broke and the Bookish. This week it is top ten books for the holidays! Now it might seem like it’s early to talk about the holidays BUT this is the time that I like to start getting into the mood! After Thanksgiving you can officially find me rockin’ the Christmas tunes and movies!

I couldn’t really think of 10 books so I’m doing a “top ten things that will be getting me in the holiday spirit!”

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares1. Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares: This book has been on my TBR list for a while especially after going to see David Levithan and Rachel Cohn at my local indie. This book is set during the holidays time and looks like a hilariously cute read that I am most excited for!

2. The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus — I won this via Goodreads Giveaway program so I’ll be reading this. I miss believing in Santa Claus! Those were the good ol’ days before college loans and car insurance.

3. How the Grinch Stole Christmas! — I will be reading both the book AND watching the original movie! And just maybe I’ll watch the newer version. We’ll see. This was my mom’s favorite thing to watch during Christmas so I must carry on that tradition.

4. The Original Christmas Classics (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer/Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town/Frosty the Snowman/Frosty Returns/Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol/Little Drummer Boy/Cricket on the Hearth): My boyfriend bought me this last Christmas because he knows my love for all my favorite childhood Christmas movies. SO excited!

5. Maybe This Christmas/Maybe This Christmas Tree/Maybe This Christmas Too cds– I am typically a lover of all the classic songs and scoff at all the new versions of my favorites but these cds are AMAZING. Let’s just name drop right now– Phantom Planet, Death Cab, Polyphonic Spree, Bright Eyes and Coldplay. And that’s just dropping a few names!

6. Hanson’s Snowed In cd— Don’t hate! This brings back very great memories. I used to be obsessed with Hanson and to my HORROR (and secret delight) my MOTHER bought this cd when it came out and my tween self was all like, “OMG I can’t believe my mother is trying to be cool and listen to the same music I am! EW.”

7. Mint Chocolate Hot Chocolate — I have stocked up on hot chocolate already. This one happens to be my current favorite! A mug of hot cocoa and a book in my hand while curled up by the fireplace just oozes “Christmas time.”

8. Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris — I read this last year during the holidays and will probably do so again as it is so short and I need my holiday snark.

9. Christmas with the Rat Pack — It would be a travesty to not spend Christmas with Frank Sinatra and the gang. Seriously. C-L-A-S-S-I-C! And Dean Martin is pretty dreamy.

10. Elf — I LOVE Will Ferrell and this movie has very much made it into my “getting in the spirit” tradition! But let’s be honest…Zooey Deschanel is the real reason I watch this one! She is my dream best friend. Ok, ok, if I had to ever declare a girl crush it would be on her! 🙂

and because I can:

11. The Glee Christmas album — I love Glee. I love Christmas music. The end.

An honorable mention that I probably won’t get to this year– Little Women. I love reading this one during the holidays!

VERY IMPORTANT EDIT: Sometimes when I write these up I’m a moron. I forgot two of my favorites–Home Alone and Love Actually! Thank you to Liz from Consumed by Books for reminding me!!

What about you guys? What things get you in the holiday spirit? Do share!  And if you want some suggestions for a great eclectic Christmas mix…email me. I’m the queen of mixtapes and Christmas music! 🙂

Comments

1. I watched Elf last night!
    I may or may not listen to the *NSYNC Home for Christmas CD at least once during the holiday season.
    My favorite 'classic' Christmas movies are The Year Without a Santa Claus, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman.

2. This is a great list! However, I would have to add that Home Alone and Love Actually are also holiday essentials for me.

3. smellincoffee says:

I just received "Christmas with the Ratpack" late last week! Big Ratpack fan, especially of Sinatra. Have you ever read the section about Christmas in the Netherlands in Sedaris' "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim"? Fun stuff.

4. maunderings says:

I really love Dean Martin's "Making Spirits Bright" and I agree he's super dreamy!

5. 1girl2manybooks says:

Home Alone is the best holiday movie!

6. Ahh Liz..I would definitely agree with you additions!

7. I love children's picture books. I couldn't fit all the ones I love into this Top Ten list. I wish I could have added A Christmas Memory and Gift of the Magi and The Little Match Girl.

Here are my choices for Top Ten Books to Read During the Holidays.

8. Okay, this week I am totally doing a Top Ten Tuesday. Excited!

9. THE HANSEN CHRISTMAS CD. OMG. haha that's the best thing I've seen in a long time!! 🙂

I may have to do a list similar to yours, I can't think of 10 holiday books.

10. Carmel @ Rabid Reads says:

Haha Hanson! 😉 Nice call on Elf. I loved at movie. It was hilarious! Which reminds me, I should rewatch it this holiday season! Great take on the list. Check out my Top Ten Tuesday if you get a chance!

11. Mrs. DeRaps says:

I want to read Dash + Lily's Book of Dares! And, I'm planning to purchase the Glee Christmas Album. Thanks for the awesome list!

12. April (BooksandWine) says:

I am DYING to read Dash and Lily's Book Of Dares, but I feel like I need to read Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist first. ALSO, I listen to the Glee Christmas album at work on youtube constantly.

AND YAY for the Christmas classics you listed! I love THE GRINCH, seriously, who can top Boris Karloff, or however you spell it.

ALSO yay for mint hot chocolate. Mint is my favorite.

13. I have a feeling the Grinch is going to make it on a lot of lists, but it's such a fun story. And I think I need to check out Holidays on Ice.

Thanks for reminding me of all of the great Rankin & Bass movies as well. I had to update my list!

14. Anne Bennett says:

I hadn't hear of Dash and Lily's book of Dares. I'll look into it.

15. livethroughbooks says:

That's a great list. I sort of changed my list to my favorite childhood holiday stories, since I don't really read holiday books now. But I also included the numerous movies I watch this time of year :o)

16. pathichose says:

I am reading books I loved as a child, like a do every year around this time. I leave my favorites for last The Velveteen Rabbit and The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I'm also excited for the classic Christmas cartoons to be shown on tv, and for the radio station that plays only Christmas songs between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'll also break out the Kenny G. Christmas album, and the Glee Christmas album will be a must soon.

17. The1stdaughter says:

Okay…Okay! I get it, I NEED to read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares. LOL. I have seen it everywhere recently and everyone has said how amazing it is. So yeah… :o)

Love this list! I'm so excited for the holidays this year for some reason. It may be that my kids are finally old enough to really get into it and I'm loving all the "Santa" requests. Whatever it is, I love the addition of the list. Great choices!

18. Must Love Books says:

How in the world did I forget LOVE ACTUALLY?????? That is one of my all time favorite movies!!!! Great list 🙂

Those are great ways to get into the holiday spirit. Even though I'm not one to watch Christmas movies, I do love Elf (also because of Zooey Deschanel) and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I'm planning on reading it for the first time this year. Your CD list sounds interesting and I'll have to take a look at it because those are some of my favorite bands.

20. Peppermint Stick ice cream! Had some at my friend's house the other day and it just TASTES like Christmas!

21. I had difficulty coming up with my list too – I can think of more Christmas movies than books! Little Women made my list though 😀

22. IngridLola says:

BAHA I love number 6

23. "Buddy the elf, what's your favorite color?"

24. Miss Sigh...anide in the Word Emporium says:

This is a great list. You inspired me to listen to Christmas with the Ratpack and I loved it: I like Dean Martin anyway, but he is especially dreamy while singing Christmas Songs – his voice makes me shiver!

25. Bev Hankins says:

Gotta love the Grinch! I gave the list a little mystery twist of my own.

26. I watch Love Actually every Christmas Eve, and Little Women always makes me think of Christmas! 🙂

27. Bibliophile says:

Great list. I also found it difficult to come up with 10 books, so I filled up my list with movies.

28. I love Christmas, though I've never found any great holiday books. I read A Christmas Carol which was an okay read and Christopher Moore's The Christmas Angel, which was hilarious and I loved it but you really have to be in a particular mood to read it because it has very weird humor.

The Grinch is a must-see for Christmas (both the animated show and Jim Carrey). And I always have to watch a marathon of Lifetime Christmas movies.

Music: Mariah Carey's Christmas C.D.!!

29. Elf + Glee + any type of hot chocolate = a very warm fuzzy me.