Today over at my other blog, The Broke and the Bookish, is my favorite day of all–Top Ten Tuesday! Today is especially awesome. We are talking about the baddest of the bad in literature. I could only think of seven. I’m sure there are more but my mind came to a blank and I realize I need to read some more books with bad guys in them!
In no particular order:
1. President Snow from The Hunger Games: Ooh what a sick man! Exploiting children by having them brutally kill each other brings him delight along with being a monster of a dictator that rules by fear. A very memorable bad guy! I can just smell his rotting evilness as Collins describes his mannerisms and what he looks like.
2. Humbert Humbert from Lolita: I think the scary thing about this one is how there are creeps like this lurking around and preying on innocent children and they really believe they aren’t in the wrong—I’m looking at YOU creepy man on Amazon trying to sell a a pedophile how-to guide. The worst part is throughout the book he is trying to plead his case for how things went done and he makes himself so charming and likeable so that you forget what a monster he is. Gives me the creeps.
3. Lady Catherine de Bourgh from Pride and Prejudice — I despise Darcey’s aunt. She might not be your typical picture of a villain but I think she is a complete monster. Her condescending attitude and the way she tries to control everything. Let’s just give her the ICE QUEEN award! You could also through Caroline Bingley as runner-up for that one!
4. Raskolnikov from Crime and Punishment: He murders two little old ladies just to prove his theory that devises a theory about how “extraordinary men are above the law because in their brilliance they think “new thoughts” and so contribute to society.” (Taken from description on Goodreads). I only read half of this book because my copy got lost in Europe somewhere but he’s a criminal for sure but you won’t loathe him the way you loathe other bad guys!
5. *possible spoilers* Ares from The Lightning Thief: He’s the Greek God of War and Bloodlust. Enough said. But really, he is a pain in the butt for Percy and his pals in this book. And he really is badass..he was dressed in black leather and rides a Harley! I wanted to put another character from this book but I would never want to ruin a big twist for someone!
6. Mrs. Lockton from Chains: Another one in the running for the Ice Queen award! She treats Isabel like an animal and is just HORRIBLE! You will want to punch her in the face. I understand that it was part of the mindset of the day to treat slaves like that but she was really just awful.
7. Hadrian from Angel Star: Dark angel! He is creepy and yet he somehow is so charming and mysterious in a way. Kind of a hot bad guy from the way he is described. 🙂
Who are some bad guys that you’ve come across? Do you ever find yourself rooting for a bad guy or at least feeling a little enticed by them?