Top Ten Favorite Places to Read

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted every Tuesday (imagine that!) at my other blog–The Broke and the Bookish! This week it is all about our favorite or the coziest places to read! I am the queen of having different reading spots. During Readathon, I changed my position about a bajillion times and I’m always trying to create the coziest places possible. I was going to be ambitious and post actual pictures of my reading spots but then I realized that that would require far too much effort! 😛

1. Next to my fireplace — Oh my gosh. In the winter (and sometimes in the fall and spring..because I’m always frigid), I push a button…and FIRE appears in my fireplace. I love the smell of real fireplaces but let’s be honest..instant gratification wins. I love curling up with a good book next to my fireplace. The downside is that I always want to fall asleep because I get too cozy and I have to fight with my dog and cat for the closest spot to the heat.

2. In my bathtub— I just did this last Saturday because I was freezing and because it’s so relaxing. I added a glass of wine, bubbles, and some background music and read Dash and Lily and it was a perfect night in my book!

3. In my lounge chair outside— I love reading outside! Anywhere outside but mostly my comfy chair. Ask anybody that knows me..I read outside whenever I can! I have this lounge chair that is incredible and this summer, since I was underemployed, I read outside (and tanned!) every day that it was sunny out. Ok, well not EVERY day but most of the days. This is probably my favorite spot. I actually bought a baby pool this summer so when I got too hot I’d read in that!

4. On the beach-– I will say that sometimes this is annoying to do because the sun glare and trying to avoid a sunglasses tan but when I finally get comfortable it is the best! I love it. Minus getting pooped on by seagulls. True story. Happened two summers in a row.

5. In the pool— Ok, I don’t have a pool but my neighbor’s do and they work all day and give me full access to it. I spent a lot of time reading in the pool during the summer in my time of underemployment. I know some people are afraid of getting their book wet or something but I’m good. Only one time did I almost drop my book and that was because a bee was straight up attacking me.

6. In a coffee shop— I love reading in coffee shops. It feels like something out of a movie and besides coffee and books go well together. But I’ll be honest..I don’t get a ton of reading done here. I’m a people watcher.

7. My round chair — I have this really comfy round chair that I had in my college dorm and still have today. It’s so comfy to curl up in it and it was definitely a safe haven in college for me.

8. In my bed — I love reading in my bed with all my covers piled on me. I don’t typically fall asleep while reading but sometimes if I’m reading something that is slow I will.

9. In a park — I love when my boyfriend and I go to parks and read. Well, he doesn’t read, he’ll sleep or do something else. The best memory of this was this past May when we were in Santa Monica. I actually have a picture:

10. On the train— I love when my boyfriend and I go to NYC for the day for many reasons but I love reading on the train–it’s about a 90 minute ride. Sometimes you get annoying people who talk too loud on the phone but typically it’s in the morning so people are quiet!

Comments

1. Ha I'm glad you mentioned almost dropping your book in the pool because that was my first thought–NOOOO don't drop it! I wouldn't have enough balance to pull that off.

I can't do anything water related & reading. It's just too risky! I applaud you for your efforts though. And btw – love the pic of you reading in Santa Monica! My sister used to live there & I'd visit often – don't you just love it?

3. I get very nervous about water and books, so that doesn't work for me either. I've tried to read in the pool and tub, but it doesn't usually last long. Audiobooks would be nice with a bath, though.

4. Stephanie :) (Books Are A Girl's Best Friend) says:

I usually only read on my bed or on the bus but in the pool sounds fabulous. You must be the Queen of balance! I love your photo, it looks very relaxing 🙂

5. Great post! I like to read in the tub, in the pool, outside, and at parks too! And on planes… love to read on planes….

6. I'm impressed- I can't read in the tub. Not that coordinated!

7. Ummmm… I totally want an instant fireplace. That is so awesome. I get so jealous every time you mention it!

8. TwoBibliomaniacs says:

Nice List. I’m definitely a big fan of the beach, however an umbrella is a must. Sorry to hear about your multiple seagull encounters…

Have a good day!

9. Your list of places sounds so relaxing and I love the baby pool. That's a great idea!

10. smellincoffee says:

I've watched Cosmos from the bathtub, but never read a book in there…I would be terrified of dropping it, however relaxing the experience!

Parks are great places to read. 😀

Yay! Another person who likes to read in the bathtub! I love to read in the tub. It's so relaxing.

12. IngridLola says:

oh man … in the pool sounds great. this is such a great list.

13. 1girl2manybooks says:

Fantastic list! I'm starting to really wish I had a fireplace! Haven't had one since I was 7 so I never really got the chance to read properly next to one.

14. ChristaJLS says:

I love reading in the tub and in coffee shops as well.
    Great list!

15. Music4Betty says:

If I had a fireplace, that would be my reading spot.

Great list 🙂

16. Wish I had a fireplace, but I do enjoy reading outside the best, I think.

17. The1stdaughter says:

Okay, I think it's almost comical that we both mentioned Dash & Lily in our posts today. LOL That book is fabulous!

Anywho…I can't believe all the water in these posts! There's no way for me! I'm terrified I'll drop it, I'm such a klutz it's terrible. Fabulous list!

18. I'm going to Europe over winter break and of all things I'm really looking forward to reading on the train rides from city to city!

19. So many people have been listing their fireplace as a favourite place to read beside and I am so jealous! I wish I lived in a place that had a proper winter so I could have one too!

20. bibliophilica says:

Totally agree with your number 6. I love reading in coffee shops even though I know I don't read "at my best" there. Somedays I find myself, upon leaving work, being seized with the impulse, "I think I'll just stop at the coffee shop and read for an hour or so before driving home." Plus there's the added benefit of avoiding the worst of the rush hour traffic.

I find myself people watching too much as well, though. And I'm always uber-curious if other people in the shop are reading something. "I wonder what they're reading? Do they read as much as I? Should I talk to them?" (I almost never do).

One final point: since I do a large amount of reading on my iPad now, you won't find me reading in the pool. One slip of the hand and I would be having a very, VERY bad day…

-Jay

21. AngelicNytmare says:

I love how alot of people said the tub, The picture is really pretty. I went to visit a friend of mine in San Jose and it was beautiful. She's tried tons of times to get me to move out there.