What reading challenges are YOU doing in 2011?!

I need suggestions. I’ve decided that I want to embark on some challenges for 2011 for something different to do. I’m all about mixing it up in the new year. I’m thinking about doing the Debut Author Challenge that Kristi hosts. I’m pretty much up for anything. As most of you know, I read just about anything so I’d like my challenges to be varied. I saw a historical fiction challenge somewhere that looked fun. I want to read more historical fiction in 2011.

I’m such a procrastinator and I know I should have started looking into this well before now but 2010 just wasn’t the year to change that bad habit of waiting until the last minute. 😛

What challenges are you doing??  I need suggestions! Feel free to plug your own challenges! Also, WHY do you do reading challenges? Do you like having specific books to read? Do you like to set goals? Etc. etc.

Comments

1. Small Review says:

Here's a list of all the challenges I'm *trying* to do in 2011. Challenges There are eleven. I may be in way over my head, but I'm hoping a lot will be crossover books.

I signed up for these challenges mostly because they looked fun. I love lists and, even better, I love crossing things off my lists. I feel happier when I'm accomplishing goals, so these challenges seem like a nice way to cross stuff off a list, feel all accomplished, and still do something I actually enjoy doing.

I'm also hoping that through talking about these challenges with other people participating in them I'll be introduced to new books to add to my TBR.

2. Would love to have you join "The Three Rs Challenge". Read, Review, Recognize is being hosted by Gina from Hott Books, Julie from Reading Without Restraint and myself, Cheryl from CMash Loves To Read. You can see what we have planned, the criteria, our vision, and signup at it's own blog site which is here: http://readingreviewsrecognition.blogspot.com/. Hope you decide to join us!!

3. Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) says:

HI!
    I am doing the Memorable Memoir Challenge hosted by Melissa at The Betty and Boo Chronicles, The Read from my Shelves Project hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea and I am doing my own very first challenge,
    The A-Z Mystery Author Challenge at Red Headed Book Child!

Have a great new year!
    Michelle

4. readwriteandlive says:

I'm working on two reading challenges, both starting right away in January. I have the Harry Potter reading challenge from http://2readornot2read-loves2read.blogspot.com/
    I am also doing a Dickens reading challenge on my own blog as part of a school thing. I don't have the list yet, but check my blog in a couple weeks if that interests you.
    I'm sure I'll participate in more, but I also have writing challenges to worry about, so can't do anymore reading at the moment.
    Good luck with whatever you decide on! 🙂

5. I'm hosting a "2011 TBR Challenge" which has gotten a lot of participants – and it comes with prizes. 😉

I'm also doing a "Books-in-a-Series Completion Challenge" for myself, but a couple of people have come on board with that one too.

I just signed up for the Historical Fiction challenge myself, which should be a lot of fun. And I'm always working on the "1,001 Books to Read Before You Die Challenge".

I might join an audio book challenge too.. not sure yet.

Feel free to check out my Challenges blog for more info on all the ones I'm hosting and/or participating in. 🙂

6. I'm hosting the Speculative Fiction Reading Challenge in 2011: http://floor-to-ceiling-books.blogspot.com/2010/12/sign-up-speculative-fiction-reading.html

I have also joined Book Chick City's 100+ Books Challenge: http://www.bookchickcity.com/2010/12/sign-up-100-books-in-year-reading.html

Thanks for this post! I was also looking for last minute challenges to join 🙂

7. Come do some readalongs of some classics at my blog! 🙂

You told me I could plug, so I did. 😉

Anyway, I am doing a handful of challenges, but only ones that will help me along. I am signed up for a Shakespeare challenge, a Victorian challenge, and some crazy one where I get to rack up points (I can't remember the name). It should be fun.
    I find it hard to sign up for most challenges because of my project list. I'm too restricted. But I do enjoy the ones I do participate in. I am finding that a lot of bloggers who have "been around" for awhile are staying away from challenges.

8. Midnyte Reader says:

I wrote a post about the challenges I'm doing for 2011: http://www.midnytereader.com/2010/12/2011-challenges.html

I'm doing them because there are some books that I want to get to, but then I get distracted.

Thanks for posting this, now I'm reading the comments and contemplating even more challenges!

9. Jennifer (An Abundance of Books) says:

Here is a list of the challenges I'm doing this year. A library challenge to encourage me to save money, but some other challenges to hopefully kick my butt into getting some of those books off my TBR shelf. 🙂

10. Jennifer (An Abundance of Books) says:

Oh, and I'm also hosting a picture book challenge this coming year. I've collected picture books for years now and sometimes it's the story and other times it's the illustrations that really get me.

11. Cat the Librarian says:

I am doing my first challenges this year to give me focus and goals. I found an off the shelf one, a free one and an ebook one that are all nice and general. Check out the challenge page or sidebar on my blog if you'd like! http://thinkingcat.blogspot.com

Good luck!

12. Jessica (Firefly Book Loft) says:

I am doing Kristi's Debut Author Challenge and am soooo excited about it. I have only heard good things.

I am also doing the "Into the Old World Book Challenge." That one is to read and review books that were published before 2008. It is being hosted by Splash of Our Worlds & Love Affair with Books. With so much hype being put on new books and new authors they thought up this cool challenge to be focus on "older books". Which is good for me since I have so many on my TBR list that I want to get done so this is just the right one for me to sign up for.

I am also doing the eBook Challenge hosted by The Ladybug Reads. It has different levels of how many eBooks you want to read starting with 3 which is curious to 20 which is obsessed. I am going for 20.

And lastly I am doing my own sort of challenge. Instead of just signing up for Banned Books Week I am doing a Banned Books Year.

I possibly might sign up for more now though since everyone is making really neat suggestions in your comments 😀

13. Alice Dwyer says:

I'm hosting a 2011 Library Reading Challenge which is pretty much self explanatory. Read library books!

Another challenges I am taking part are here: http://thereaderroom.blogspot.com/p/challenges.html

14. The Book Vixen says:

I went overboard with reading challenges for 2011. I'm participating in 14. Here's a list of the ones I'm participating in.

15. The Book Vixen says:

Oh, I clicked 'Post Comment' too soon.

I join reading challenges to get me to read more and to read stuff I might not normally read 🙂

16. I've joined 5 challenges for 2011:
    -GLBT Challenge
    -TBR Pile Challenge
    -Steampunk Challenge
    -Historical Fiction Challenge
    -One, Two, Theme! Challenge

I think challenges are fun and they also help me learn more & focus on certain genres or topics in my reading. And they are a good excuse to compile book lists. 🙂

17. You said you liked Historical Fiction. This page has 3 reading challenges on this topic:

and here is a very very long list of all kinds of Reading Challenges:

And I invite you to MY own Reading Challenge. I called it:
    BOOKS PUBLISHED

IN THE FIRST YEARS OF MY LIFE CHALLENGE – 2011
    Here is the link:

Enjoy!
    Emma @ Words And Peace

18. I have only signed up for two challenges for the New Year. I just felt like I was limited with challenges last year and need more freedom to go where the wind takes me.

Here are the two I'm doing:
    Reading in the North's Nordic Challenge
    The Bookkeeper's Steampunk Challenge

Good luck with your reading challenges in 2011! I hope they go really well!

19. Lu @ Regular Rumination says:

The A-Z Challenge is probably the only challenge I'll be doing this year. It's always my favorite!

20. It wasn't hosted by anyone or any blog in particular, but I did an ABC Challenge last year – I had to read a book for each letter of the alphabet, going by the author's last name. It was really challenging to find U, Y, X, and Z (not many authors' with last names that start with those letters), but it also kind of forced me to read things I never would have otherwise. I ended up really enjoying it.

21. La Coccinelle says:

I'm doing 4 challenges this year: the YA Historical Fiction Challenge, the Off The Shelf! Challenge, the 2011 YA Reading Challenge, and the 2011 E-Book Reading Challenge (which I'm also hosting).

22. Usually I do personal reading challenges, but I think it'd be fun to do one online. I haven't made up my mind yet as to which one(s)but this post and the comments have given me some good suggestions.

23. I'm all about the TBR Dare (gawd knows I need to read through my own shelves) and Allie's read alongs. 🙂 (Trying to keep it simple this year).

24. SapphireReads says:

I'm doing three this year – e-Book challenge, YA Challenge and Book Blogger's Challenge

25. SapphireReads says:

I also thought about doing the audiobook challenge

26. I'm going for 5 challenges this year, because I don't really want to over-do: 100+ Reading Challenge, Gothic Reading Challenge, Historical Fiction Challenge, Off the Shelf Challenge and YA Reading Challenge. I only chose five because I'm relatively new to bookblogging and I'm pretty convinced that if I really pressure myself too much, that I might lose my interest in it.

Good luck with the challenges everyone!

27. I haven't posted about it yet, but I will be doing the "I Heart Indie Books Reading Challenge". Here's the info:

Michelle also has a good thread going already over at "Nothing But Reading Challenges" on Goodreads.

I have also decided to read at least 6 books over 650 pages and 12 past group reads @ TNBBC.

Good luck with all the challenges you find to do!

28. I'm doing @thestorysiren's Debut Author Challenge and @yabliss' YA HIstorical Fiction challenge. I will likely also pony up to do the audiobook challenge and the ebook challenge because I know I'm likely to "win" at them whether I join or not. haha

29. thebookfairyhaven says:

I've been looking through all the challenges and as fabulous as they all sound, I've decided that my challenge will be a little more personal and will involve me trying to get through a set amount of my books-to-read pile in my shelves without buying any other books that will distract me inbetween. This is going to be VERY, VERY hard, but there are so many books in my shelves that I've been ignoring and kept on being pushed back, that I really would like to make some head way on those.

30. Shooting Stars Mag says:

welll if I'm not too late, i'd love for more people to do the first ever challenge i've created. It's the Catherine Ryan Hyde challenge. all you HAVE to do is read one book by the author and she has a variety…adult and YA. I'm really excited, and would love more people on board or spreading the word (wink wink lol)

-Lauren