Life Update: Jamie Goes On An Interview!

Hello readerly friends. I hope you don’t mind me interrupting my normal bookish postings with a life update.

I am alive still. I had to take a little breather from review writing for a few days because I was getting a little too Type A about it all..and that’s just not how I roll when it comes to blogging and reading. As per my bookish/blogging resolutions that I posted yesterday, I will RELAX this year and not get myself all stressed out. And hey..I’m doing you a favor..your Google Reader will thank me for a few days of silence.

Anyways, I will resume reviewing and posting about bookish things tomorrow when I can breathe a little sigh of relief because…

I HAVE AN INTERVIEW TOMORROW.

It’s not a dream job kind of interview but it’s a I-need-money-so-I-don’t-end-up-in-a-cardboard-box kind of interview. It’s for a marketing specialist position at a local company so it’s headed in the right direction (marketing) but not so much the right industry (Books, travel, fashion..I have a few areas that I love). I’m not sure if it is full time as of right now but I think it might start off as part time so I could potentially keep my hours at the magazine that I work at which I would LOVE. It’s really unfortunate that they can’t give me more hours at the moment. And seriously..my boss lets me borrow her LEOPARD PRINT SNUGGIE…doesn’t that scream dream job to you? 🙂

So, I’m really excited because it’s starting off 2011 on a positive note to get an interview after so many freaking months of nothingness. But it is bittersweet because it isn’t in an industry that I care about and that means all my full time blogging and reading efforts will be gone..you know, like a normal person? It would be lovely if blogging and reading would have been paying the bills all these months. I’d be getting paid overtime.

I just keep vascilliating between being really happy about maybe getting a job and really sad because I can’t get the type of job I want. I worry that because it isn’t in the “right” industry that I am hurting myself. I think I’ll learn valuable things that would carry over into any job but I still have this lingering doubt that those I’ll be competing against in dream job situations will have the “right” industries on their resume. But I have to eat, I have bills and I’ll be getting engaged this year. I have to work. I cannot be picky. Has anybody been in this situation before? Has it hurt you or just helped that you had experience of any kind and a good track record of succeeding and being valuable worker?

Anyways, wish me luck tomorrow. I’m all wracked with nerves despite my proven track record of getting every job I’ve actually gotten an interview for. I’m jinxing myself and I know it.

Comments

1. Mrs. DeRaps says:

The right job will come someday…Experience can't hurt! Good luck and let us know what happens.

2. Good luck!!! They're going to love you and wonder how they've managed to get anything done without you 🙂

3. Best of luck! I am sure you will do very well in the interview 🙂

4. Nicole (Linus's Blanket) says:

Good luck darling! You'll be good.

5. Good luck!

6. Relax. If it's meant to be, it will be. Just do what you know you can do. (I used to be a coach, that's one of my favorite sayings.) Good luck!

7. Good luck, Jamie! Remind yourself of your track record and stay calm. 🙂

8. Jessica (Firefly Book Loft) says:

Good luck!

9. Cat the Librarian says:

Relax and good luck! Experience is experience, and not living in a cardboard box is a good thing… You will do great!

10. Good luck! I had the same kind of debate last time I was job-hunting – should I take an office job at a transportation company, even though it's not the kind of experience I really want? The overwhelming consensus from my family and friends was yes, because any experience is good experience. So go for it! I bet you'll do great :o)

11. TNBBC Super Mod says:

Knock em dead Jamie, and don't think so negatively about the position. Marketing is marketing… it's going to give you the experience you need when a bigger and better BOOK industry job comes along!

12. Heather R. says:

I already wished you good luck on twitter, but it can't hurt for a little extra! And I know exactly how you feel about taking a job that's not necessarily in the area you're looking for (also not having as much time for reading/blogging. it's a bummer!) I had to do that in order to pay my bills and I sometimes freak out that I'll never get myself back on track. Any experience is probably better than none though, and who knows, maybe you'll end up loving it!

13. Good luck with your interview! You will rock it. And honestly? I don't believe that anyone ever starts off with their dream job, but this is a step in the right direction. I can't wait to hear how it goes!

14. Paying bills is a reality, but you know, sometimes life surprises us. The road to your dream job may take a few detours, but you'll get there.

Good luck on your interview tomorrow!

15. Good Luck! 🙂 Kill that interview! haha

16. Good luck!

17. The1stdaughter says:

Didn't you ever see The Devil Wears Prada? I mean, your post totally reminds me of the time they're all sitting around talking about the jobs they have so "they can pay the bills". LOL So seriously, even if you can't stand it, it's always somewhere to start.

I'm positive you're going to do a fantastic job, they'll be blown away and hire you immediately! Though, I wouldn't recommend wearing the snuggie to the interview. hehe ;o)

Best wishes! You'll do fabulous darling and soon enough you'll also find that "dream job". When you do…let me know if there's one there for my hubby! ;o)

18. Anastasia says:

I'll be making my comments in list form, since we both love them 🙂

1 – Good luck!
    2 – I COMPLETELY understand how you feel; from the "unemployed graduate" role to the dream job versus the practical, right now job. I think that you have to do what you have to do to pay the bills, but at the same time, draw a line for yourself on what you will NOT do — which is settle.
    3 – You're getting engaged?! I love how you casually slipped that into the post, like I wasn't going to notice/harp on it! When? Either way, congrats! And I can't wait to hear details 🙂
    4 – Good luck again (because you can never have too much luck)!

19. I've been in the situation though I can't say if it helps or hurts because I don't get the jobs I apply to. I can tell you that I know exactly how you feel and it sucks. In the end, though, I don't think it can hurt you. Any experience is better than nothing. Best of luck to you!

20. My major was English and I'm currently a customer service rep for a bank. Sometimes you do have to go in the "wrong" direction to pay bills and not live in a box. But it's work experience and that will help in the long run, even if it's not in the right field.
    I'm sure you'll do great on the interview.
    Plus, you can always do what I do and that's devour books and blog after work or on your days off. It's working well for me so far. 🙂

21. Good luck my dear – you will be amazing and they will love you 🙂

22. Hi Jamie,
    Others have already said similar things but I will throw in my two cents: sometimes you do not have the option of holding out for the dream job. As you point out, living expenses are a real issue and any work experience is better than none. Try not to compare yourself to your peers who may, from the outside, appear to be succeeding where you have failed — remember that everyone has made decisions in their lives and sacrificed certain things. You are where you are because there are other things that have been important to you.
    Good luck today and keep us posted!

23. It has always helped me and never hindered me when I was working my way up the job ranks in my 20's. A good job will teach you skills and give you experience that you can use anywhere and that's what employers look for in an employee. They want someone that has what they need so they don't have to teach you the mundane stuff but someone that they can mold and shape into who THEY need. It's ok if you aren't doing exactly what you want right now…. this job may lead to another job that leads to your dream job…. and then it will all be worth it.

24. You actually are taking a job that is in your field of interest, so you will be fine. If you were taking, say, a nursing job but wanted to do PR then you would be going in the wrong direction. Good luck on the interview!

25. VildesVerden says:

crossing fingers – and good luck!

26. StephTheBookworm says:

Good luck, good luck!

27. YAY go you! I hope the interview went well 🙂

28. Just getting to this now – hope all went well! I used to work in marketing for a publishing company, but when I moved out of NYC, I switched to working for an ad agency (where I do not advertise books or, for that matter, any other product I'm really passionate about). Still, I find that I am still challenged, and learning new things, and I can pursue my interest in books in my "spare" time (of which I have very little, true). Anyway, just wanted to throw in my two cents that if you enjoy marketing, you should be able to enjoy marketing most (I won't claim all) products because of their unique challenges. Hope the same proves true for you!!