Top Ten Books I Wish I’d Read as A Kid

Putting up my Top Ten Tuesday (hosted at my other blog–The Broke and the Bookish) late because I’m a slacker of all sorts!!

I was quite the voracious reader as a child but I do feel like I missed out on some amazing books!

1. The Narnia series — I started reading this a few years ago and I would have LOVED this as child. I even owned them but just never got to them for whatever reason.

2. The Wind in the Willows — I owned this one but just never got to it ever. I think it is around my house on a bookshelf somewhere.

3. Alice in Wonderland — I loved the movie so much. To the point of mild obsession, I think. I wish I would have read this one back then, although, I feel it might have gone over my head as a child.

4. Harry Potter — I really wish I would have read these when they first came out. I wasn’t a little kid but early tween or something. And now, here I am, as a 25 year old beginning the series. I feel like I missed out on the excitement of it all and going to release parties and whatnot.

5. Pride and Prejudice — I loved this book but wish that I didn’t read it for the first time in 2010. I wish I would have read it as a young teen and could have swooned over Darcy instead of icky middle school boys.

6. Island of the Blue Dolphins — This is ALWAYS popping up on favorite children’s classics lists. I do plan to read this one at some point.

7. A Light in the Attic — Where the Sidewalk Ends was one of my all time favorites!! I don’t know why I never read this one. I just don’t think I’ll appreciate it like I did as a kid.

I only had 7 because I really read most of the books that I wanted as a child lol.

Gosh this post is making me nostalgic for all my old favorites — Beverly Cleary, Roald Dahl, Judy Blume, etc. etc. Ahh. <3 What are some books you wish you’d read as a kid?

Comments

1. Alice is on my list as well. And I loved A Light in the Attic and all the Shel Silverstein poetry.

2. Jayme @ Horribly Bookish says:

I've seen Alice in Wonderland on a ton of blogs–maybe someone should host a read-a-long? 🙂 I read Harry Potter as a young teen, but I would have like to have read it when I was younger–I think I would have had an entirely different experience.

3. Jayme — I think that is a fantastic idea!! I just might do that..you should help me 🙂

4. The1stdaughter says:

I probably should not admit this, especially being one of the first commentors, but I've still yet to read Pride & Prejudice. Funny thing though, I've read quite a few of her other books and loved them. I know…weird. I need to. I just have been okay watching the PBS version with Colin Firth for so long that I can't part from it. LOL

Anywho…A Light in the Attic? Wow! That was definitely a fought over book in my home growing up. My sisters and I could not tear ourselves away at times. Loved it!

5. Two things. Don't bother with Wind in the Willows… just read a synopsis or one or two of the chapters unless you are dying to read it or aren't interested in anything else. I didn't think it was that great and also don't think many children would want to read it. But that's just me.

The other thing is, definitely read some Scott O'Dell. Island of the Blue Dolphins is his best known and some would argue his best, but the rest of his work is fantastic too. Like Sarah Bishop (Revolutionary War) and Streams to the River, River to the Sea, which is a fictionalized memoir of Sacagewea.

6. I wanted to write up this list today, but I ended up having a million things going on, so I failed… Maybe I'll post it some random day and just pretend I was on time… 🙂

But, your list is great and I agree with Narnia. I read them for the first time like 2 years ago.

I did read HP as it came out. I started reading with the 2nd book, and I loved them! It will always be a favorite for me because I feel like I legitimately grew up with Harry and the gang. I was 18 or 19 when the final book came out, so just a year or so older, and I started reading them in 5th (ish) grade. I have never felt the anticipation for a book to release that I did with Harry Potter.

7. I haven't read The wind in the willows and a light in the attic when i was a kid, but i read all the others. I'm glad my mom was as addicted to books as i am, she always encouraged me to read, and we had no shortage of books. Great picks! 🙂

8. Enbrethiliel says:

+JMJ+

Island of the Blue Dolphins is one of my childhood favourites!

I only finished reading the Harry Potter series this year as well. Now that you mention it, I do feel as if I missed out on a lot by not reading them when most of the world did. =P

9. The only book(s) that I have read on your list is the Harry Potter series. Actually, this sounds like a great challenge to hold…we should talk!!

10. I really liked Island of the Blue Dolphins. Probably partly where my love of strong female characters comes from!

I think I started the HP series when the third or fourth book was out already, so I got to go to the midnight releases and whatnot for the other books with my sister. It was nice, I wish another MAJOR exciting series like that would come around again!

11. Jasmine (The Reading Housewives) says:

Totally agree with you about the HP thing! I went one time with my cousin at midnight to buy the 7th book and I was like, "These people are nuts!" But now I think it would have been AWESOME!

12. Well I'm old(er) and when I was young I read a lot of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys. I wish I would have read Alice in Wonderland & Pride and Prejudice.

Narnia and Alice in Wonderland made my list too. Reading Harry Potter as a kid would've been awesome if only it weren't first released when I was 20. 😉

14. You HAVE to read Island of the Blue Dolphins, if only to learn all about abalone. I LOVED that book!

15. Sugar&Spice says:

I am right there with you about Harry Potter! I never read them when I was younger and now I am 25 just starting them! xoxo Sugar&Spice P.S. You should read Stepping on the Cracks, great children's book.

16. Sugar&Spice says:

17. Sugar&Spice says:

18. Sugar&Spice says:

19. JessiKay89 says:

I have SO many books that I wish I would have read as a kid. I read voraciously, so I'm not exactly sure how I missed them. But Narnia was definitely one of them. I read the series a year or two ago, and while I was able to see the Christian allegory and whatnot, I know I would have LOVED the romping adventures as a kid.

20. Miss Sigh...anide in the Word Emporium says:

I didn't join in this weeks Top Ten Tuesday 'cos I read a lot of eclectic stuff when I was little (I would literally read ANYTHING) and so I have no regrets, reading-wise. If ever I come across something that I think I would have liked to read, I figure there's always time now :). I realise that it might not be the same experience now but you never know!

21. I LOVED Island of the Blue Dolphins. I might have to revisit that book.

22. Jayme @ Horribly Bookish says: