Top Ten Tuesday– Top Ten Books I Resolve to Read In 2011!!

Top Ten Tuesday, as always, is hosted over at my other blog–The Broke and the Bookish! Go check it ouuuut.

This week we are talking about books we resolve to read in 2011..aka public humiliation of all the books I haven’t yet read but will read this year come hell or high water! I resolve to read these books, darnit, and you all will have to keep badgering me to make sure I do so.

1. The Harry Potter series– *GASP* I know. What kind of reader AM I without having read this? I’m not really sure. As a girly girl in my middle school years, wizardry just didn’t seem like a good idea on my quest for popularity. I will now admit my idiotic ways as a young teen and hope and pray that you all will forgive me for my tresspasses against the great canon of literature that is Harry Potter. Seriously though, I’m doing it this year.

2. The Jessica Darling series — Apparently, from everyone I know, I will LOVE this series and will find a friend in Jessica Darling. Don’t let me down, Jessica, I need all the friends I can get.

3. Wuthering Heights — I need some Bronte in my life. Vagrant yet valid musing–Every time I see the name Bronte, I just think brontosaurus. I mean, there isn’t even an “e” in brontosaurus for me to think that but I think if I were to befriend a brontosaurus I might give him a nickname and be like, “Heyyy..what up Bronte!”

4. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver — I bought this one as soon is it came out and just keep putting it off. I really want to read this one this year!

5. The Geography of Bliss: One Grump’s Search for the Happiest Places in the World — I’m a travelogue fanatic and I had a minor tantrum when I saw this in the bookstore and my boyfriend gently reminded me of the book buying ban I had just embarked upon the day before. First, let’s point out, what SANE person embarks on a book buying ban? What sane person embarks on a book buying ban AND THEN goes to a bookstore the very next day?? This girl. I stated how “I NEEDED THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW because it was full of so much awesomeness that I couldn’t live without it or I’d die.” And still it sits on my shelf..unread..and eager to show me all the awesome inside it.

6. Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer — If you know me, then you’d know I love JSF so much I’d probably give him my firstborn. I loved his works of fiction and not a day goes by when I don’t somehow recommend them or refer to them. I haven’t read this one. It scares me as a proud carnivore. I like a steak or a double cheeseburger. I love a good Chicken Florentine with yummy mushrooms and..Ok, this isn’t a food blog. Anyways, this book scares me and I will read it.

Anna and the French Kiss7.  Anna and the French Kiss — I dismissed this book in 2010 because the cover looked corny and I wasn’t a fan of the title. There, I’ve said it. Despite my love for Paris, this cover wasn’t going to pull me in. However when Best of 2010 lists came a rolling out, many respected bloggers and friends, dubbed this as one of their favorites. I’m talking LOTS of high marks on this one. And my dear friend Jen at Makeshift Bookmark is sending it to me! Enchant me, Anna, and take me back to the City of Lights.

8. Life of Pi by Yann Martel — This book feels like it has been sitting on my shelf since the dawn of time. It probably has.

9. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky — I got half way through this on my European adventure and then the book got lost somewhere. I have a nice new copy and I plan to reunite with this book reaaal soon.

10. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland — My wonderful boyfriend made his way through his own personal hell (Barnes and Nobles) around Christmas-time and bought me the RIDICULOUSLY BEAUTIFUL leatherbound edition of this book. I’ve read bits and pieces of this book but I will read the whole darn thing this year.

Jamie is a 30 year old married lady who is in denial that she’s actually that old. When she’s not reading you can find her doing Pilates followed by eating ice cream, listening to music with oversized headphones and having adventures with her husband and dog.

Comments

1. Rebecca Rasmussen says:

Oh I love Life of Pi! Enjoy, J. 🙂

2. I can't wait to hear how you like Harry Potter and Anna and the French Kiss and Before I Fall. If you actually read all of these in 2011, as I believe you are fully capable of doing, you are going to have an amazing reading year.

Wuthering Heights is on my list, too. On the note of Brontesauruses, here is hilarious youtube video about Bronte Sisters Power Dolls.

3. Don't worry, I just started Harry Potter late last year, there are other's like us out there!
    I am on book 6 and totally loving it thou 😉

4. I hope you enjoy Harry Potter. I got to read it the first time without any of the hype the world brought to it. Good luck with Crime and Punishment. Never read it myself, but I did read and enjoyed Brothers Karamazov. Maybe I should make that one on my 2012 list. haha

5. Actin' Up with Books says:

Harry Potter is on my list too! I just passed it over – a little too easily I have to say. So happy to see you have included The Jessica Darling Series. I loved it. I was lucky to read them as they were released. It is my favorite series. I hope that you enjoy them too.

You are brave to tackle War and Peace. It currently sits on my bookshelf and that is where it's going to remain for a while. Good luck with your reading ventures!

6. bibliophile brouhaha says:

Ahhh, no Harry Potter yet? How I adore that series! And Wuthering Heights – I hope you love that one – it's one of my all time favorites!

I love this week's question – we're sure to get a varied amount of lists with this one! Good luck with yours – esp. War and Peace – yowza!

-Linds, bibliophile brouhaha

7. Gasp, indeed! You're not alone though. I'm amazed at how many bloggers I've found that haven't read Harry Potter yet. I hope you're able to enjoy it as much as I did when I first read it even with the movies already out and everything.

8. Ashley @ Book Labyrinth says:

Gahhhh, Harry Potter! Haha but seriously, they are way too amazing. I think I've only heard of 1 or 2 people who haven't liked them, versus… well, everyone else. 😉

I remember reading the first Jessica Darling book when I was a teenager, but I didn't really keep up with the series. I think I'm going to have to read them all, as well.

And 'Anna' is amazing. Probably the best book I read all year, or at least one of the top 2 or 3.

9. emilycsims.com says:

Your #1 is funny to me, because I've resolved NOT to read them this year! I've read the HP books so often, I've missed out on other books I should be reading instead. I've a terrible habit of rereading!

But you'll love them! Enjoy!

10. 1girl2manybooks says:

I've never read Harry Potter either, lol. People think I'm crazy.

I read Wuthering Heights 10 years ago to see what all the fuss was about and all I can remember is that I really didn't like anyone in the novel at all. I bought a copy just recently to re-read this year, so maybe I'll find more out of it the 2nd time around.

I'm hearing awesome things about Anna and the French Kiss, although frankly I think the cover is -terrible- and the title corny…. If I saw it in a bookstore I wouldn't even look twice at it. But the excellent reviews I'm reading around the blogland has me curious.

11. smellincoffee says:

I've heard good things about [The Geography of Bliss] — and Harry Potter warrants the hype! I didn't start reading it until late August 2007 and plowed through the rest of the books before October. 😉

12. Anne Bennett says:

If I was making a list about books I haven't started yet but want to I'd put Anna and the French Kiss and Before I Fall right on there. I decided to go with books I started in 2010 but never finished.

13. Jessica M says:

Ah, Harry Potter warrants every syllable ever used to discuss it's amazingness! 🙂 I even took a literary analysis class in college that was about Harry Potter (and other children's lit, which we read some of… but mostly Harry Potter). I read Life of Pi this past year (finally!) and loved it. And you've reminded me now… I started Crime & Punishment ages ago and just never finished it – I just wasn't in the right headspace for it and then it got packed away when I moved. Maybe I'll go digging through my bookshelves too and pull it out again.

14. Harry Potter is as good as everyone says it is. Especially the earlier ones, when it's still happy boarding school romping (as opposed to the somewhat darker later books).

Personally, I can't stand Wuthering Heights — I wanted to punch everyone in it for being irritating and stupidly melodramatic. If you want Bronte, I'd recommend going with a different sister and reading Jane Eyre instead. I love Jane Eyre to pieces 🙂

I really enjoyed Life of Pi when I read it, and Crime and Punishment is on my want-to-read list too 🙂

15. I am going to read Jessica Darling this year too! But not Harry Potter. NEVER! 😉

16. breadcrumbreads says:

I'm hoping I'll get to read four out of the ten you've mentioned on your list – Wuthering Heights, Life of Pi, Crime and Punishment, and Alice in Wonderland (this last would be something of a re-reading as I didn't appreciate it as a child – the irony!).

And lucky you to be discovering Harry Potter. I'm someone who very rarely re-reads books…how lovely it would be to rediscover Harry Potter again!:)

Happy reading!

Risa

17. AngelicNytmare says:

I have Wuthering heights on my list as well, but I think I could have added Anna and the french kiss and before I fall.

18. Both Before I Fall and Anna & the French Kiss are fantastic reads! I hope you are able to get to them this year. I think you'll really enjoy both.

19. TNBBC Super Mod says:

OK, I am going to save you from a horrible horrible read! Do not bother with Wuthering Hieghts. I read that one over a year ago for the same reason – it was a book that everyone in the world seemed to have read, except me!

God how I wish I never picked it up. It was awful and turned me off of victorian lit (for good!)

That being said, when you get around to reading EATING ANIMALS, be prepared to give up meat for awhile. It was a hard book to get through – those poor poor animals!!!

20. Great list. have finished with Life of Pi and would be reviewing it soon. Happy reading.

21. Bibliophile says:

Ditto on Life of Pi. I really should read it. Then I can either cull it or keep it and it will stop screaming at me to be read.

I will be watching your blog for your reactions to Harry Potter and Alice in Wonderland.

22. I wish I could read the Harry Potter series for the first time all over again– I know you'll enjoy it! I haven't read Anna and the French Kiss either, but Life of Pi and Alice in Wonderland are both favorites. Happy reading! 🙂

I was reluctant to put Harry Potter on my list (which will be up later today). I really, reallllly want to read this series. I feel shameful that I haven't already – but I can't make any promises when exactly that will be.

Just a suggestion: read Delirium by Lauren Oliver BEFORE you read Before I Fall. I may be in the minority, but I didn't care for Before I Fall – but I absolutely LOVED Delirium!

24. Lots of good books on here, but mostly I can't wait for your reactions to Harry Potter.

I'm going to try to start reading the Jessica Darling series soon, too.

25. YOU MUST READ HARRY POTTER. And then we shall discuss 🙂

26. I waited on Harry Potter for a very very long time. I finally checked it out because I had a long commute and figured it might be a fun audiobook to listen to. SO GLAD I DID! Loved every minute (well, non-Quidditch minute) of it. Also, yes yes yes to "Life of Pi" – loved that one – also listened to it. I'm worried for you re: "Eating Animals" – will your relationship with JSF survive your differences in diet? I hope so. Anyway, I'm curious to see what you think – I've only talked about it with people who are veg or have gone veg as a result and a few who don't eat red meat and pork.

27. That is a gorgeous copy of Alice!

I'm glad you're going to take the time to read Harry Potter. It's one of the catalysts for my love of reading. I hope you enjoy them!

29. I have yet to read anything by Jonathan Safran Foer, but his name keeps popping up everywhere I look! I'll have to pick up something by him this year.

I read Life of Pi and really enjoyed it. Good luck with your list. I'm interested to see if you like Wuthering Heights. I loved it when I read it in high school, but didn't love it so much when I read it again last year.

30. Another Book Junkie says:

Harry Potter and Anna and the French Kiss are on mine too! I'm realizing my list isn't very original, my choices are everywhere. Haha.

I loved the Jessica Darling series!!

Hope you enjoy them!

–Another Book Junkie

31. LMAO at the Bronte-saurus!!

I hope you like the HP series. I'm re-reading it this year, I love it. One thing to keep in mind though is that the first and second of the series are a lot more kid-friendly than the rest. They slowly rise in maturity level (just like kids!), so if they seem too slow and childish at first, give it some time.

32. Harry Potter is great (of course). I too want to read Wuthering Heights this year. I started it once, but hated it (and I've heard that many people do) but I still want to read it all the way through just to have the reference. I also read half of The Geography of Bliss. Very interesting book, but I got sidetracked. Thanks for reminding me to get back to it!

33. I've added "Geography of Bliss" to my amazon wish list. Looks great. I will probably NEVER read Crime & Punishment — good luck. (But "Gentlemen" kind of made me want to) And, I LOVED Life of Pi, so try to fit that one in.

34. literarywife says:

Yay for EATING ANIMALS. I am not very far into it, we should read it together!

35. Lu @ Regular Rumination says:

BOOO to Life of Pi! I hated that book! Also, you are so lucky. You get to experience Harry Potter for the first time! How amazing. I've read the Geography of Bliss and it is really good. I have Eating Animals on my shelf, making me feel guilty every time I enjoy a hamburger and Eating Animals goes another week without being read.

36. I'm reading Eating Animals right now, & it's really making me think twice about my eating habits, something I wasn't expecting it to do.

I'm rereading the Harry Potter series this year in time for the final movie. I loved this series, especially starting with the 4th one. They just get better with each one!

And I'm also waiting for Anna & the French Kiss to come in the mail. I'm excited to read it after seeing so many great reviews!

37. Yay for getting to Harry Potter! I loved it so much, I hope you won't be disappointed.

As for Anna and the French Kiss: I dismissed it for the same reasons, but am going to backtrack humbly and read it as well.

38. Oh wow! So many good things here! You are going to have a fantastic time.
    If you want help with the Harry Potter series, there's a read-along going: http://www.daemonsbooks.com/2010/12/14/harry-potter-2011-book-challenge/
    I had trouble getting into the first one, but they just get better and better!

Also, I totally approve of Alice and Wuthering Heights. Wuthering Heights is another one of those "harder than I thought to get into" novels because of the frame narrative, but it's also well worth it.

I'd be interested to see what you think of Life of Pi too

39. Flippin' Fabulous says:

I haven't read Harry Potter either. I'm a terrible *reader* You know, I WANT to say I read them but I really think I'll get distracted and pick up other books. I'm just not sure, lol.

I also understand about Anna and the French Kiss. Nothing about it pulled me in but after seeing the high marks and numerous lists where it sat happily in the top I've decided I must give it a shot.

Fab List

40. The Geography of Bliss is one of my all-time favorites.
    Eating Animals is also very good, if a bit disturbing. If you aren't a vegetarian when you start reading it you might become one at least for a while once you have finished the book. I reviewed it here: http://bibliosue.blogspot.com/2009/12/review-eating-animals.html

(and I agree – book buying bans are just wrong!)

41. Frl. Irene Palfy says:

Great list! I loved Wuthering Heights! Hope you like it, too! :")

42. Tribute Books Mama says:
  43. Yay for Harry Potter! I'm sure you will love it 😀 I'm hoping to read Anna and the French Kiss too this year – like you I wasn't too keen based on the title/cover, but I've seen so many rave reviews that I think I really must read it.

Personally, I didn't like Wuthering Heights (I'm a Jane Eyre fan though), but I think your association of Bronte with brontosaurus is hilarious. That's awesome 😀

44. Peppermint Ph.D. says:

Before I Fall sounds good to me too! I felt the same way as you did about Anna and the French Kiss so I'll be anxious to read your review. Eating Animals is also on my TBR list 🙂 Don't feel bad about the HP series…I've read them all but over the holidays we re-watched the movies and I couldn't remember a thing! Will have to do a re-read before that last movie comes out 🙂

45. You aren't the only one who hasn't read the Harry Potter series yet. I only have the first on my Top Ten but I am planning on reading it with a 9 year old so it might take some time. Before I Fall is on my longer list, hopefully I will read it before I turn 30, but I am excited to see what you think of it.

46. Megan Marie says:

WOW!! You haven't read Harry Potter. That is a travesty of enormous proportions!!! I will read The Book Thief if you promise to read HP 🙂

47. Wuthering Heights is on my list too. I also haven't really read Harry Potter (only the first one). Jessica Darling is a really sweet series. I read them spaced out as I was growing up, so they are kind of dear to me.

48. Nicole (Linus's Blanket) says:

I haven't read harry Potter either. He made my list. We should coordinate at read.

49. I avoided Life of Pi for quite some time because I thought it sounded dumb. I generally avoid books with animals. I was definitely wrong about it!

50. efwpeapod says:

Wuthering Heights has the dubious distinction of the only book I love even though I despise all the characters! Now that is good writing.

51. Jessica Lawlor says:

Jessica Darling and Before I Fall? You're in for a great year 🙂

52. A great, and very diverse, list you have there. Wuthering Heights is one of my all-time favorites, and the HP series is simply brilliant. Before I Fall is amazing. Enjoy!

53. jayme riley says:

I bought Anna and the French Kiss recently and it took seeing it all on all the "Best Of" posts to bite the bullet. I couldn't get past the cheesy name and cover. But I'm hoping for a good read. Alice in Wonderland would be a nice book to read in its entirety.

54. StephTheBookworm says:

Jessica Darling is one of my all time favorite series. Megan McCafferty is incredible. You are one lucky girl that you get to read the series for the first time! ENJOY!

55. I've been wanting to read Life of Pi for a while now. I hope you like it.

56. The Literary Nomad says:

I also had Life of Pi on my shelf for ages before finally reading it and all I can say is make sure you persevere beyond the first third as it is really fantastic after that! I was interested to see your comments about Foer. I absolutely adored Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close but Everything is Illuminated left me cold (if you are interested, I reviewd it on my blog here: http://theliterarynomad.com/countries/8-ukraine-stop-spleening-me/ ). I would be keen to kow what you thought of that book?

57. I've been wanting to read Life of Pi too. Maybe I'll get to it this year.

58. Ok, I haven't read Harry Potter either!!! I didn't scroll through all your comments, but I'm guessing we are in the minority there! I really need to read Wuthering Heights too… a friend gave me a beautiful copy years ago, and I never finished it.

YES YES YES @ Jessica Darling. I guess I can't really talk, because I still have to finish the third and read the last two! We definitely need to figure out a way to clone ourselves 🙂

And I am right there with you on HP, sister. I haven't read them and I've caught a ton of grief for it. THIS will be the year that changes, though. For both of us!

60. I love HP and Wuthering Heights! I hope you enjoy them too. HP series is the best fantasy I have read apart from LoTR trilogy.

61. Avid Reader says:

Wonderful list. The first Jessica Darling book came out when I was a senior in high school and I got hooked!

62. jcamp2020 says:

My humble suggestion regarding Harry Potter. Do not "read" the books.. listen to them via Audio books. They are sosoooooo much better on Audio. All of the author's words and names are Pronounced as she intended and they just flow. Try it with the first, I think you'll be hooked.

63. thebookfairyhaven says:

There's some books on your list that I definitely have to get around to reading too. Anna and the French Kiss and Wuthering Heights being amongst them. I have shockingly enough not gotten around to reading Jane Austen's Emma and Persuasion and really want to read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.

64. The first two make this whole list for me – both are soooo great!