Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at my other blog (The Broke and the Bookish) and the topic is which characters I’d name my children after. DON’T worry..I am not planning on having children anytime soon but let’s be honest..I’ve been writing down potential names since high school. I added in authors as well.
1. Zooey (from Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger): I just loved the character of Zooey and I just feel like I really understood him when I read this book. However, I actually like the name Zooey for a girl…a la Zooey Deschanel! I know most people find Zooey to be pretentious but he has a special place in my heart.
2. Fitzgerald as a middle name (from F. Scott Fitzgerald): I love F. Scott Fitzgerald and would love to use his last name as a middle name or a little boy. Maybe Jackson Fitzgerald? Whole lotta name for a little boy lol
3. Jonas ( from The Giver): Jonas will always be one of my favorite characters from literature. I read this book until the cover fell off when I was younger. One of my all time favorites. Although, nowadays it reminds me a little too much of the Jonas brothers.
4. Sylvia (as in Sylvia Plath): I’d probably make it be a middle name. The Bell Jar is one of my favorite books and I love her poetry. She was such a tragic figure but she did have a lot of strength in her. It’s just sad that she couldn’t find it when she needed it. I would want to give new life to her legacy.
5. Elizabeth (Pride & Prejudice): I tend to like really eclectic names so this kind of plain for me. I’d definitely has this as a middle name to offset some of the different names I like. Don’t worry..it’s not anything weird like Apple or Moonflower..just a little more eclectic than those popular names that everyone has. I’d like my little girl to encompass the spirit of Elizabeth as she is a strong literary heroine.
6. Isabel (from Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson): What an incredible character! I don’t typically read Middle Grade but this one is going to be a classic. I can just tell. Isabel was a character whom I will never forget. EVER.
7. Josephine (Jo from Little Women): One of my favorite characters ever!! Of course…right? I think everybody likes Jo! She kicks some ass by not letting society dictate who she will be and is a strong heroine that I’d name a child after.
8. Atticus (To Kill a Mockingbird): Do I even have to explain this one? I think pretty much everyone had this on their list.
That’s all I could think of. Some interesting observations:
1. Most of my books were classics. I loved some characters in contemporary adult/YA fiction but not enough to name my kid after and some of their names were plain so I wouldn’t. lol
2. There were SO many characters I wanted to name my kids after because I love the characters to death but HATE their names (Oskar from EL&IC, Peeta, Katniss and Finnick from The Hunger Games, etc.).