Top Ten Characters I’d Name My Children After

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at my other blog (The Broke and the Bookish) and the topic is which characters I’d name my children after. DON’T worry..I am not planning on having children anytime soon but let’s be honest..I’ve been writing down potential names since high school. I added in authors as well.

1. Zooey (from Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger): I just loved the character of Zooey and I just feel like I really understood him when I read this book. However, I actually like the name Zooey for a girl…a la Zooey Deschanel! I know most people find Zooey to be pretentious but he has a special place in my heart.

2. Fitzgerald as a middle name (from F. Scott Fitzgerald): I love F. Scott Fitzgerald and would love to use his last name as a middle name or a little boy. Maybe Jackson Fitzgerald? Whole lotta name for a little boy lol

3. Jonas ( from The Giver): Jonas will always be one of my favorite characters from literature. I read this book until the cover fell off when I was younger. One of my all time favorites. Although, nowadays it reminds me a little too much of the Jonas brothers.

4. Sylvia (as in Sylvia Plath): I’d probably make it be a middle name. The Bell Jar is one of my favorite books and I love her poetry. She was such a tragic figure but she did have a lot of strength in her. It’s just sad that she couldn’t find it when she needed it. I would want to give new life to her legacy.

5. Elizabeth (Pride & Prejudice): I tend to like really eclectic names so this kind of plain for me. I’d definitely has this as a middle name to offset some of the different names I like. Don’t worry..it’s not anything weird like Apple or Moonflower..just a little more eclectic than those popular names that everyone has. I’d like my little girl to encompass the spirit of Elizabeth as she is a strong literary heroine.

6. Isabel (from Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson): What an incredible character! I don’t typically read Middle Grade but this one is going to be a classic. I can just tell. Isabel was a character whom I will never forget. EVER.

7. Josephine (Jo from Little Women): One of my favorite characters ever!! Of course…right? I think everybody likes Jo! She kicks some ass by not letting society dictate who she will be and is a strong heroine that I’d name a child after.

8. Atticus (To Kill a Mockingbird): Do I even have to explain this one? I think pretty much everyone had this on their list.

That’s all I could think of. Some interesting observations:

1. Most of my books were classics. I loved some characters in contemporary adult/YA fiction but not enough to name my kid after and some of their names were plain so I wouldn’t. lol

2. There were SO many characters I wanted to name my kids after because I love the characters to death but HATE their names (Oskar from EL&IC, Peeta, Katniss and Finnick from The Hunger Games, etc.).

Jamie is a 30 year old married lady who is in denial that she’s actually that old. When she’s not reading you can find her doing Pilates followed by eating ice cream, listening to music with oversized headphones and having adventures with her husband and dog.

Comments

I love the name Zooey. In fact, it's the name my husband and I have picked out for our first daughter. 😀

2. Jayme @ Horribly Bookish says:

Haha. I like the comment at the end about hating characters' names. So true. Peeta? Really?

3. April (BooksandWine) says:

I was hoping for a Renesmee. Or whatever that name is from Twilight.

4. Hahah April…nope. No Renesmee for me. lol

If I have a daughter some day, I want to name her Ruby. I'm scared of reading anything with that name & it ruining it for me!!

6. Avid Reader says:

I love your choices and I completely agree, sometimes I love a character so much, but hate their name. I wish authors would keep my personal tastes in mind next time they name a character I'm going to love.

7. I have the name Zooey on my list as well. Pretty name. I also really like the name Sylvia. Wish I'd thought of it for my list!

8. Hmm… your observation #2 got me thinking – maybe there should be a list of names you would *never* name your children! (Peeta to me always sounded like Peter spoken with an overly upper-crust British accent…)

9. You can't steal Jackson from me! I love that name! I almost did Sylvia also.

10. Ah, Atticus. He just really is the greatest, isn't he? I really love the name Zooey (because I love Zooey Deschanel!) but I've never actually read Franny and Zooey- is it worth getting?

11. I love the name (and character, 'course), Atticus. Zoey is my dog's name… but is Zooey pronounced the same way? I like Elizabeth, too, though it's pretty common. Great list. 🙂

12. Kate {The Parchment Girl} says:

I would totally name my kid Atticus. Very respectable name. My middle name is Elizabeth, which I'm fine with, but there are so many middle-named Elizabeth's in my family that I'd like to take a break from it for a generation.

13. I'm named after Catherine Earnshaw from Wuthering Heights. …not sure what spirit my Mother was trying to capture with that!

14. Becky (Page Turners) says:

I love Elizabeth or Eliza for Elizabeth Bennett. Elizabeth is a traditional name in my family so it's high on my list.

I think I would name a daughter Margaret – there are so many literary related Margaret's that I admire – Margaret Atwood, Maggie Tulliver, Margaret Mitchell.

I would also consider Ayla from Clan of the Cave Bear.

I don't have any boy literary names I have to admit – I mmight have to work on that.

15. I loved Chains, and thought that Isabel was a great character. I am trying to read Forge right now, and I am NOT enjoying it as much. I don't know if it is the switch to a male protagonist, or the war setting, or the fact that I was promised more about Isabel and then she disappears in the first chapter, but I'm disappointed.

16. I love the name Zooey! I really need to read Chains, I have heard a lot of good things about it!

17. Zooey and Atticus are my favorites. I just went with names I liked for my list, even if I didn't love the character.

18. Urm I named my kid

Elijah after Elijah who played Frodo
    Rhys after Jonathan Rhys Myers who played Henry Tudor…

19. Interesting list. I love the names Zooey and Jonas. 🙂

20. We have Atticus in common. 🙂

Reading Lark's Top 10

21. couchpotatocritic says:

I really wanted to add Percy to my list, but it's in reference to The Scarlet Pimpernel, and I just couldn't torture a kid by naming him Percival. It's too cruel. But I DO love that character.

22. Atticus Finch is totally amazing. I don't know that I'd actually name my child after him though, I'm not sure the child would ever forgive me!! Also, I've given an award to you!

23. bibliophile brouhaha says:

Atticus and Jonas made my list, too! I really enjoyed seeing the ones you chose – great list!

24. Elizabeth and Jo are hands down my top literary names. Nice list!

25. I like this list. Josephina (Jo) stands out as one of my favorites.