Top Ten Favorite Book To Movie Adaptations

This week the topic for Top Ten Tuesday (at my other blog–The Broke and the Bookish) is all about books to movies adaptations.

My list is going to be combination of books that I actually read and the saw the movie and movies I saw without reading the book (or didn’t know it was a book!).

1. Fight Club — This is one of my favorite movies and I actually saw it before I read the book because I wasn’t really reading too much in those days. I liked the book as well but I saw the movie first so that sticks in my mind. Brad Pitt kind of trumps everything about the book πŸ˜›

2. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory — I LOVED this movie and the book. I personally love the original one with Gene Wilder but I didn’t mind the Johnny Depp one either. Am I the only one who was drooling over all the candy in this movie? As a kid it was almost TORTURE.

3. Charlotte’s Web — I LOVED this book as a child and the movie was one of my favorites as well. I prefer the original version of this movie but the new one isn’t so bad. I think I still cry just as hard during this movie as when I was a kid lol

4. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe — I REALLY loved this one. All the imagery was reminiscent to how I imagined it when I read it as a child. I thought the casting was spot on and I found it to be a good representation of the book. It was still able to make me wish I had a secret wardrobe that would transport me into another world.

5. The Notebook— I couldn’t even stomach this book and ended up putting it down but I LOVED me some Ryan Gosling and I just adore Rachel McAdams. I’m curious to see what people who loved the book thought of the movie!

6. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants — Never read this one but this movie was one of my favorites as a teen! It seemed like those I knew who had read the book really enjoyed the movie as well!

7. Gossip Girl — Ok, so I know this isn’t a movie but I really love this tv show. I read the first two books but felt like they were too young for me at the point I read them. This show is such a guilty pleasure and I LOVE it. Seems to me that most people liked the transition from series to show.

8. Atonement — I loved this movie as well as the book! I actually want to read more by Ian McEwan.

9. Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist — I LOVED THIS MOVIE! I thought it was perfect and well casted with fantastic music. Just how I pictured the characters. I went to a signing for Dash & Lily and I asked a question that started a discussion about books to movies and they both said they were REALLY pleased with how this movie came out and they are very optimistic for Dash & Lily’s movie. They said they really got lucky with Nick & Norah and how it turned out. They mentioned that other authors they knew weren’t as happy with the adaptation as they were.

10. Everything is Illuminated — I actually saw the movie FIRST in college before I read the book after having read the awesomeness that is Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. This movie was so quirky and awesome. As much as I love JSF and this book, I kind of like the movie more…

Comments

1. smellincoffee says:

Holy wow, I can't believe I forgot the Willie Wonka movies! I even read a compare/contrast article about the two versions over the weekend. I have the "Golden Ticket" and "Candy Man" songs saved as mp3s on my own computer. πŸ˜‰

2. Phantom Paragrapher says:

I have Gossip Girl on my list, I forgot about Nick and Norahs and Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants – I own both the DVDs πŸ™‚
    Im a new follower

3. Books for Learning says:

I love a lot of the same movies/books–Atonement, Sisterhood, The Notebook, and Narnia.

4. The1stdaughter says:

I am right there with you on the Brad Pitt trump card. A bit of Edward Norton nerdy-hot guy doesn't ever hurt either. ;o)

Love your other choices! I'm really dying to read and see Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist…I need more time in the day!

5. I love your picks! I never thought Brad Pitt could act before I saw Fight Club.

6. Bibliophile says:

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is such a gorgeous movie, and well cast. It's somewhere on my top 11-20 list.

7. Hehe, I read Fight Club after I saw it too, and Brad Pitt *was* in my copy! Was he not in anyone elses?!

8. Bibliophile says:

Laura, I can't comment on Fight Club, as I haven't seen it, but when a role is perfectly cast, I too see the actor(s) as the character(s) when I read a book after I see the movie.

9. I LOVED the first Sisterhood movie, but the second one was a huge disappointment to me. They took some highlights from the next 3 books and crammed them in to 3 hours. Boo. I was very upset.
    Nick and Norah was awesome. I love the movie, but have yet to read the book. Its on my TBR.
    And- the Notebook. YES.

10. Great list! We have a few in common, I am going to post mine soon.

11. I prefer the first Willy Wonka movie too. I thought the SOTP movie fit the books quite well. Great list!

12. Christina / Book Addict says:

Great picks! I almost chose The Notebook as well–that movie always makes me cry. I love Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants as well–I completely forgot to include it. And I completely agree about Gossip Girl- one of my FAV guilty pleasures. Love Chuck Bass!

13. Christina / Book Addict says:

14. Christina / Book Addict says:

15. Christina / Book Addict says:

16. Jess (Gone with the Words) says:

Nick & Norah is one of my favorites too! Great picks!

Jess @ Gone with the Words

17. I forgot about Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist! I loved both the book and the movie. And I loved the movie Atonement, but I haven't read the book.

18. Stephanie M. Hasty says:

i wouldn't even know where to begin with my list! your list is AWESO<E! i think i'll think about it and make it a post next week!!! love it!!! πŸ™‚

I totally agree w/ you on The Notebook, Charlotte's Web, and Willy Wonka! GENE WILDER, FO EVA! I haven't read The Notebook, but MAN that movie made me sob all the way home. I did read A Walk to Remember by one of those sappy ass authors… I forget which one. I think Sparks, right? Anyway, I loved both the book and the movie, because Mandy Moore is awesome and who doesn't love that song "Only Hope?"

20. I love your choices, I chose some of the same. You should really put Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants on your reading list, it was so good. I read it multiple times.

21. Nice list! I really wish I read Fight Club so I could have put it on my list – but I've only seen the movie.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Notebook made my list as well.

22. ahh, Charlotte's Web–I included it as well. Kayeβ€”the road goes ever ever on

23. Haven't seen any of your 5 through 10, but I love your 1-4. I can't believe I didn't include Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!

24. booknympho says:

I'm dying to read Fight Club and didn't finish Atonement the book but might have to try it again. I just got around to reading The Notebook and while I enjoyed it, I agree that the movie is better. I just reviewed the book on my blog so would love to hear your thoughts on it and why you didn't like it.

25. I still have yet to read Fight Club, though I enjoyed the movie. Not a favorite of mine but still.

And Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is such a fun movie! Love it

26. I love Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka!

I thought of Fight Club and realized I've never read the book. The movie is a favorite of mine, though. I notice new things every time I see it.

Great list!

27. "Gossip Girl" the TV show is totally a guilty pleasure! Agree: I read the first book but felt like it was too young and silly for me. The show is so smoldering and fun. πŸ™‚

I tried to read Atonement after seeing (and loving!) the movie version, but I couldn't stomach the book. I think because there was no James McAvoy at every turn. πŸ™‚

28. Midnyte Reader says:

Good picks. I didn't read Atonement or Nick & Nora's, but loved the movies. I loved the Book Willie Wonka and the Gene Wilder movie. I would never read The Notebook, but caught it on tv and actually liked it.

29. I'm glad you liked the movie of Everything is Illuminated… I haven't read that one yet but am so worried about how the movie version of EL&IC will be since I loved that one! This gives me hope, LOL. =)

30. Quite a few on your list where I haven't read the book, but I've seen the movie. If I've seen the movie, I tend to not read the book because I feel like I know what's going to happen already.

Out of all the books you've mentioned, I've only read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and its adaptation almost made my list. πŸ™‚ However, I've seen many of these movies and while I don't have the book to compare to them, I enjoyed the movies so it's good to know you thought they were good adaptations.

The Fight Club is my husband's absolute favorite movie. In fact, we just watched it on Saturday. Such a great movie! So many great one-liners and axioms.

32. Jasmine (The Reading Housewives) says:

YES! Fight Club!! And I also LOVED Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist…the movie more than the book. πŸ™‚

33. Dusky Literati says:

I enjoyed the original Willy Wonka – really loved the songs.

34. Good list. Fight Club is one of my favorite movies as well, but haven't read the book. I forgot about Atonement for my list, but I love both the movie and the book.

Here is my list:http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/02/top-ten-tuesday-on-silver-screen.html

35. Peppermint Ph.D. says:

I'm a Charlie fan as well…book and movies!!
    I also loved Charlotte's Web…but just the book and original movie…not so fond of the newer version.

36. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is definitely a better movie.

37. I totally agree about Narnia and Everything Is Illuminated! Those are both fantastic movies.

I will say I'm not a fan of the Atonement adaptation. I don't know why, I didn't feel like it captured the book terribly well. There was something about the end of that book that I didn't like and I wish I remembered what. Oh well, lol.

38. I LOVE Fight Club, but I've always been too afraid to watch Nick and Norah. It's one of my favorite books, and I just couldn't stand it if the movie sucked.

39. I really didn't like the book version of THE NOTEBOOK so I refused to see the movie. One of my favorite books and movies is PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (A&E version, of course).

40. Jamie, I know I am approx. 3 days late, however, I must alert you that Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is a dangerous, misreading book. Aka they traveled very nicely up the hills in Greece via donkey, without ever mentioning that those paths are lined with stinky, slippery, horrible donkey poo. Trust me, I learned this the hard way. You've been warned.

41. Stephanie M. Hasty says:

i finally, finally, finally made a list and read yours more closely…love your list (didn't even think of nick and nora)

here's mine: