This week the topic for Top Ten Tuesday (at my other blog–The Broke and the Bookish) is all about books to movies adaptations.
My list is going to be combination of books that I actually read and the saw the movie and movies I saw without reading the book (or didn’t know it was a book!).
1. Fight Club — This is one of my favorite movies and I actually saw it before I read the book because I wasn’t really reading too much in those days. I liked the book as well but I saw the movie first so that sticks in my mind. Brad Pitt kind of trumps everything about the book 😛
2. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory — I LOVED this movie and the book. I personally love the original one with Gene Wilder but I didn’t mind the Johnny Depp one either. Am I the only one who was drooling over all the candy in this movie? As a kid it was almost TORTURE.
3. Charlotte’s Web — I LOVED this book as a child and the movie was one of my favorites as well. I prefer the original version of this movie but the new one isn’t so bad. I think I still cry just as hard during this movie as when I was a kid lol
4. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe — I REALLY loved this one. All the imagery was reminiscent to how I imagined it when I read it as a child. I thought the casting was spot on and I found it to be a good representation of the book. It was still able to make me wish I had a secret wardrobe that would transport me into another world.
5. The Notebook— I couldn’t even stomach this book and ended up putting it down but I LOVED me some Ryan Gosling and I just adore Rachel McAdams. I’m curious to see what people who loved the book thought of the movie!
6. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants — Never read this one but this movie was one of my favorites as a teen! It seemed like those I knew who had read the book really enjoyed the movie as well!
7. Gossip Girl — Ok, so I know this isn’t a movie but I really love this tv show. I read the first two books but felt like they were too young for me at the point I read them. This show is such a guilty pleasure and I LOVE it. Seems to me that most people liked the transition from series to show.
8. Atonement — I loved this movie as well as the book! I actually want to read more by Ian McEwan.
9. Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist — I LOVED THIS MOVIE! I thought it was perfect and well casted with fantastic music. Just how I pictured the characters. I went to a signing for Dash & Lily and I asked a question that started a discussion about books to movies and they both said they were REALLY pleased with how this movie came out and they are very optimistic for Dash & Lily’s movie. They said they really got lucky with Nick & Norah and how it turned out. They mentioned that other authors they knew weren’t as happy with the adaptation as they were.
10. Everything is Illuminated — I actually saw the movie FIRST in college before I read the book after having read the awesomeness that is Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. This movie was so quirky and awesome. As much as I love JSF and this book, I kind of like the movie more…