Top Ten Authors That I Think Deserve More Recognition

This Top Ten Tuesday (hosted at my other blog — The Broke and the Bookish) is all about our top ten authors that we think deserve more recognition. I’m happy to be doing such a positive post this week as much as my ranty Top Ten Tuesday vlog was so much fun to do last week! It’s always more fun to share the love and gush about great authors!

1. Morgan Matson — I love Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour something fierce and think Matson is so talented in the way that she added the scrapbook-esque feel with the playlists. It really worked! It was really buzzed about for a while but now I feel like new YA readers are missing out on its goodness. Honestly, this one was phenomenal and definitely a must if you enjoy music!  You can read my review and check out the awesome playlist I made for it!

2. AS King — Seriously, I don’t get how AS King doesn’t get more recognition! Her writing is incredible and Please Ignore Vera Dietz was seriously a wonderful YA book. I walked into Borders to try to find another copy of PIVD and couldn’t find it. That’s rap because she blows plenty of contemporary YA out of the water.

3. Katherine Howe– I loved The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane so much. It was really popular on Goodreads and that’s how I found it but I’m seriously surprised that a lot of bookish people I’ve talked to have never read it. This book is fabulous and I can’t wait for her next historical fiction novel!

4.  Brigid Pasulka — OH MAN. Brigid Pasulka is one talented author and I don’t comprehend why A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True isn’t more popular and why she isn’t being praised more!

5. John Higham — John Higham’s travelogue, 360 Degrees Longitude: One Family’s Journey Around the World ) ROCKED. I think it deserves a lot more attention in the world of travel literature. It was so unique and refreshing.

6. Jessi Kirby — Ok so she is a 2011 debut author and her book Moonglass hasn’t come out yet so this might be cheating. I have just read it for a tour and I’m not understanding why there isn’t more buzz about this one!!

7. Martin Wilson — Another under-appreciated YA author who wrote an excellent book that should be recognized even more outside the realm of GLBT lit. It’s seriously fantastic.

8.  Rob Sheffield — I know Love is A Mix Tape was super popular but, in general, I really think he’s underappreciated as an author! I’d like to see more people reading his books…they are a must read for music lovers!

9. Kim Culbertson — I’m really surprised that Kim Culbertson isn’t more popular in the YA blogosphere. I loved Songs For A Teenage Nomad.

10. Kirsty Eager– I just started reading this but WOW. Why don’t people know about her? Her writing is incredible and Raw Blue is phenomenal!

Comments

1. YA Bibliophile says:

Ohmystars!!! How did I not put A.S. King on my list!!!!! Epic fail!

2. Stephanie M. Hasty says:

thanks for this post, i'm eager to check out these authors!

I have Morgan Matson on my list too 🙂

4. I too LOVED A Long Long Time Ago and Essentially True. I had the pleasure of meeting Brigid Pasulka last summer and it sounds like she was working on a new book which I cannot wait to read.

5. Christina / Book Addict says:

I included Morgan Matson as well. She's fabulous! I've been meaning to read A.S. King. My co-worker raves about Viera Dietz. I also am very excited for Moonglass. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great list, Jamie!

6. Christina / Book Addict says:

7. Christina / Book Addict says:

8. Christina / Book Addict says:

I'm amazed at all the authors I've never heard of from this week's list. Well, okay, I'm not really amazed because I haven't been around the block yet. I'll have to look some of these people up.

10. Some fabulous authors there — I agree, they need more recognition.

Based on your recommendation I just ran over to Amazon and bought John Higham's 360 Degrees of Longitude! I LOVE travelogues and can't wait to read this one. It sounds fabulous!! Got any more? It's that time of year when I armchair travel. Have you read The Lost Girls: Three Friends. Four Continents. One Unconventional Detour Around the World? Really good.

Anyway, happy Reading!

11. Mary– I just bought The Lost Girls literally a few weeks ago! You can't go wrong with Bryson. Also, have you read The Geography of Bliss? I just bought French Milk so we'll see how that is! It seems different!

12. Midnyte Reader says:

I have the Psychic Book of Deliverance that my friend lent me. Must get to that!!!

13. I love the Physick Book of Deliverance Dane as well! Let's hope she writes another book soon 🙂

14. Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) says:

I agree with Morgan Matson! And I really haven't heard of the other authors, so I probably should try and check them out! lol.

15. Thank you so much for including me here! I'm totally honored to be on a list with all of these authors. Loved Amy and Roger's Epic Detour!

16. I <3 you new layout!

I agree about AS King. I LOVED The Dust of 100 Dogs, and I can't believe she doesn't get more recognition than she does. Great list!

17. I <3 your* new layout! Apparently I cannot spell today 😛

18. A.S. King & Kristy Eagar are both on my tbr-soon pile. as for morgan matson, i LOVED amy & roger's epic detour and it totally deserves more recognition!

19. Michelle (my books. my life.) says:

I don't know so many of these authors. Thanks!

20. Thanks for reminding me about Pasulka and Sheffield. And my wish list grows longer…

Check out my post here: http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-tuesday-check-um-out.html

21. A Backwards Story says:

I haven't even heard of any of these authors! I'll have to go check them out. Thank you 🙂

22. Kim Culbertson says:

Wow – what an honor to be included on this list!! Thank you so much 🙂 You made my week…

23. Besotted with Books says:

I stumbled upon your site because of a wedding wednesday post that my friend sent me. I started to read through your book reviews and once I saw that your book tastes resembled mine, I decided to read through your top ten lists. I was excited to read this one because I figured I’d probably get a lot of great book suggestions out of it. Imagine my surprise when I saw that #4 on your list was my high school English teacher. I’ve never picked up her book but I might just do it after seeing this 🙂 Thanks!