Top Ten Books I HAD to Have….But STILL Sit Unread On My Bookshelf.

My name is Jamie…and I’m a book hoarder. This week’s Top Ten Tuesday (hosted at my other blog–The Broke and the Bookish) will expose me for who I am…but only giving you a glance into all those “had to have books” that are still just sitting there. I mean, I go running to the store…trying to convince my boyfriend I just HAVE to have this book or I will die. And then somehow I get caught up in another “MUST HAVE’ book and never get around to it. It’s bad. So here’s 10 books that I pitched a fit about NEEDING RIGHT THIS MINUTE..and have just not gotten to.

My question..WHY do we do this? All this incredibly amazing books get pushed aside because we get new shiny books to love! I fear I’m never going to be able to manage my bookshelves and read  what I’ve got.

This is just embarrassing..

1. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver — I rushed out to buy this, got it signed at the Brooklyn Book Festival, did a crazy IMM vlog that even mentioned that I got it…and then it sat there. I’ve heard incredible things

2. Across The Universe by Beth Revis — I pre-ordered this book and broke a book buying ban to get it. I got annoyed when it did not arrive promptly and then still did not read it.

3. Killing Yourself To Live by Chuck Klosterman — I had a friend tell me how Chuck Klosterman kicks some major ass. I ran out to buy this one and then never looked at it again..

4. Are You There Vodka, It’s Me Chelsea? by Chelsea Handler– I bought this when it first came out because I luuurve me some Chelsea Handler. This somehow ended up in the trunk of my car for MONTHS.

5.  The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner — The boyfriend and I kind of got in a fight about this one. I was unemployed, had just bought a lot of books anyways, and went into the store to get a gift for somebody. Then I saw this book and grabbed it and he said I “had issues” and couldn’t stop buying books. I stomped my feet like a little baby and said, ” But I’m depressed because I can’t travel right now and I NEEEED this book to make me feel better by living vicariously through others.’ I won. And the book remains unread. I reallyyy want to read this one soon. I love travelogues.

6. Edie: American Girl by Jean Stein– I had just gotten done watching Factory Girl (because I’m obsessed with Edie Sedwick and Andy Warhol) and went browsing online and saw this book and bought it on impulse. I really wanted to learn more about her. I still do.

7. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi– This was one of the most “had to have” non-fiction books. I rushed out to buy it when I heard of it..and still it sits. I’ve stared at it a few times and just never picked it up.

8. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater — This was all the rage and I decided to try me some werewolves. I rushed out to buy it right away and still it sits.

9. Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly — I coveted this one so bad. I saw other bloggers with it and just lusted all day and night. I finally bought it on its release day, went to a signing and met her and then said I’d read it after I finished my next book…and then I don’t know what happened.

10. Every Damn Book On My Shelf…my bookshelf has become the abyss for books I was so excited to buy and read…and then never touched again. It only gets worse and worse with all the new books being released.

Comments

1. Fiktshun says:

Oh yes, Before I Fall is amazing. It's definitely worth moving to the top of the TBR.

I shamefully have not read Across the Universe either and I must read. I have about 75 books I own still TBR 🙁

2. IngridLola says:

I love Edie Sedgwick too!!! I was her for Halloween once. I loved Factory Girl. I think I need to read that book too.

3. Stephanie says:

I can relate to this post A LOT! I'm a book hoarder in addition to being a library book hoarder. I keep checking out library books even though I've got a million books to read on my shelves. Oy vey!

4. Next time you're in a reading slump you should pick up the the Chelsea Handler book! It's hilarious. 'My Horizontal Life' is another funny one!

5. Anne Bennett says:

Your list sounds like my booklist at my library. When I buy a book for the library that I want to read I add it to a little electronic list and then I have a hard time getting any where close to reading all the books on that list. I have had Before I Fall on that list since last summer and I still haven't gotten to it.

Small steps. I guess.
    -Anne

6. Ronnica says:

I want to read Across the Universe and Reading Lolita in Tehran too. Before I Fall is good, but don't let the hype ruin it for you.

7. Two Chicks On Books says:

I'm in the same boat I've got a tbr pile about 2 feet high and they were all must haves 🙂

8. smellincoffee says:

A friend of mine read "The Geography of Bliss" not too long ago: it's one I'm quite interested in as well. 🙂

9. thereadingdate says:

Oh I love Edie Sedgwick too! The Jean Stein book is the first book I read about her and I was hooked. A classic that you will enjoy when you get a chance to read it.

My hoarding problem is made even worse with a kindle. The books are really sneaky and hide there since I can't see them on my bookshelf.

You'll get to these books eventually – no worries. Thanks for sharing your list. Happy reading!

10. confessionsofacommonreader says:

Before I fall!! Must read must read.

11. Debbie's World of Books says:

I loved Before I Fall and Across the Universe! Hope you get to them soon. Here's my list

12. DanyStormborn says:

I've seen Across the Universe on many peoples' lists. I'm thinking of putting it on my 100+ Book Challenge list for 2012. Sounds like a really good science fiction novel.

13. Jessica says:

Before I Fall was ok I seriously didn't get what all the hype was about. Across The Universe I am buying into the hype and totally wanna get it. Shiver I won and want to read but don't want to until I get the other 2 in the series.

14. Deb Nance at Readerbuzz says:

Love your story about the fight over Geography of Bliss!

I've decided, after reading all of these lists, to set a new rule for myself: two years. That's it and then the book is out of here.

Here is my Top Ten: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-books-i-just-had-to-buybut-are.html

15. Haha, we are all apparently terrible hoarders! I have soooo many more than just 10, but I kind of just picked out the ones I am most ashamed at not having read yet! hehe

Here's my list 🙂 http://devouringtexts.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-tuesday.html

16. Christina / Book Addict says:

Haha, your number ten cracks me up. I hear ya! You must read Before I Fall and Revolution. They are both amazing. Across the Universe was really good as well. I enjoyed reading your list!

17. Christina / Book Addict says:

18. Christina / Book Addict says:

19. Christina / Book Addict says:

20. This is so me!! I spend weeks and weeks (sometimes months) lusting after a book and then when I get it I always find something else I must read and it doesn't get looked at again for ages. I even get really mad and impatient if I order a book and it doesn't come and I check the post every day and when it finally does I don't read it! I obviously have problems lol :S

PS Before I Fall should deffo be pushed to the top. I read it straight away coz I was on holiday and couldn't buy more books haha 🙂

21. btweenthecovers.com says:

Hello, everyone… my name is Heather, and I'm a book hoarder. I think we should start a BHA group (Book Hoarders Anonymous), but instead of trying to break the cycle, we'll just encourage each other to buy more books. Hahaha! I will say that you should stop just looking at Reading Lolita in Tehran and actually read it soon. I loved it. I have about 15 books on my shelf that fit this category, but in my defense, I'm one of those people who would rather have the hardcover edition of a book, so I buy the ones I want when they come out, even if I know I'm not going to get to them for a while. Hahaha!

22. Anastasia says:

Lol! I love this Top Ten. You're not alone in your book-buying/hoarding addiction. There has been more than one occasion where I found myself "HAVING to have this book right-right now!" At least you can remember the reasons for why you bought each book 🙂 Don't feel bad; think of it this way — at least you have a plethora of reserves in the event that you're marooned in your house for an indefinite period of time 🙂

23. T.H. Browning says:

I love your post, Jamie! I myself am a book hoarder. I've had The Hunger Games, Paranormalcy and Need sitting on my shelf for WAY too long. At least they are aligned and organized neatly on the shelf (I know, it's no excuse, lol!) I just now started reading Vampire Academy — *SMH*!

I definitely recommend Across the Universe & just finished reading Delirium. So, the next book I hoard will be Before I Fall.

24. Bethany says:

The friend who told you Chuck Klosterman kicks ass is very correct. Read him first, because you will become obsessed and will then want to read ALL of his stuff. Promise. 🙂

25. I have Reading Lolita in Tehran still unread on my shelf too. After I bought it, I decided to wait until I read Lolita. So I went and bought Lolita, and they're BOTH still sitting there… for shame, really.

26. Haha Sarah– I totally did that too. I actually DID read Lolita and said I'd pick this one up…nope.

27. I'm with you on number 10. My shelves are pretty and full of books. Books that will take me at least 3 years to read.

28. Michelle (my books. my life.) says:

I need to read a lot of these as well. If you want my advice, skip Reading Lolita in Tehran. It wasn't really that wonderful.

29. TwoBibliomaniacs says:

I am also a book hoarder – and proud of it!!! Good luck trimming down your unread list!

DUDE! Before I Fall! Read it NOW! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't read Across the Universe. Well, not "glad," but you know what I mean. We should resolve to read it in the near future. I keep putting off all my NetGalley books, too 🙁 DAMNIT NETGALLEY, for letting us read for free and offering beautiful and amazing titles!

31. Suzanne says:

I have Revolution on my list too!

The Geography of Bliss is one of my favorite books. It isn't a traditional travelogue but it is does allow you to vicariously travel to places you might otherwise not be able to (or want to)

32. Klosterman is on my list as well. Good luck with your reading

33. Tribute Books Mama says:

I would love to read Revolution. It sounds so interesting! I just got to Across the Universe this last week. So far, I'm enjoying it.

35. You haven't read Shiver? You need to! I can't really say much since there are a ton of books on my shelf that still need to be read :p

36. yacrush says:

This post makes me feel so much better, thank you. I pitch a major fit about having to have certain books N-O-W…and then they sit because other books I've ordered from the library come in (and, well, those have actual dues dates). Right now I have Across the Universe, Delirium, Jane (which I get excited about every time I see it sitting there) but I haven't touched them.

37. The only one from your list that is currently sitting around my house as well is Shiver. I actually got Revolution from the library, something I am trying to do more often. Reading Lolita is a good book.

Check out my list here: http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-tuesday-tbr.html

38. Jennifer says:

Aren't all book bloggers a little like this? I think the bottom line is that we just have to have books. And there are just so many good books to read. Its easy to have some reading ADD I guess where we focus so much on one book that we just have to have only to replace it with the next best thing. Or something like that. Now that I have an e-reader, my book buying is even worse.

39. Jayme @ Horribly Bookish says:

Ah–read Revolution! The francophile in you will LOVE it and it's such a good book!

40. gautami tripathy says:

I have 300+ unread books! Dunno when I will read those!

Here is my Top Ten Picks post!

41. Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) says:

I didn't like Before I Fall and Shiver, so if it were up to me, you just wouldn't read those two, lol. But I loved AtU and I'm still trying to get myself to read Revolution!

42. LindsayWrites says:

i did the same thing with BIF. lol new follower! love the blog!

43. Hi there,

I'm a recovered hoarder. I now like to support my library as much as possible. Especially now hearing ho they're all in such trouble.

I also vowed last year not to buy anything new (unless I was truly planning to read it soon and it was from a 2nd-hand store) until I read through all the unread books on my shelves.

Reading Lolita in Tehran sounds interesting.

44. Michelle says:

Before I Fall and Shiver are totally two worth picking up sooner than later! Like you, pretty much all of the books in my bookcases are "need to have nows", it's a problem I have, haha.