My name is Jamie…and I’m a book hoarder. This week’s Top Ten Tuesday (hosted at my other blog–The Broke and the Bookish) will expose me for who I am…but only giving you a glance into all those “had to have books” that are still just sitting there. I mean, I go running to the store…trying to convince my boyfriend I just HAVE to have this book or I will die. And then somehow I get caught up in another “MUST HAVE’ book and never get around to it. It’s bad. So here’s 10 books that I pitched a fit about NEEDING RIGHT THIS MINUTE..and have just not gotten to.
My question..WHY do we do this? All this incredibly amazing books get pushed aside because we get new shiny books to love! I fear I’m never going to be able to manage my bookshelves and read what I’ve got.
This is just embarrassing..
1. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver — I rushed out to buy this, got it signed at the Brooklyn Book Festival, did a crazy IMM vlog that even mentioned that I got it…and then it sat there. I’ve heard incredible things
2. Across The Universe by Beth Revis — I pre-ordered this book and broke a book buying ban to get it. I got annoyed when it did not arrive promptly and then still did not read it.
3. Killing Yourself To Live by Chuck Klosterman — I had a friend tell me how Chuck Klosterman kicks some major ass. I ran out to buy this one and then never looked at it again..
4. Are You There Vodka, It’s Me Chelsea? by Chelsea Handler– I bought this when it first came out because I luuurve me some Chelsea Handler. This somehow ended up in the trunk of my car for MONTHS.
5. The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner — The boyfriend and I kind of got in a fight about this one. I was unemployed, had just bought a lot of books anyways, and went into the store to get a gift for somebody. Then I saw this book and grabbed it and he said I “had issues” and couldn’t stop buying books. I stomped my feet like a little baby and said, ” But I’m depressed because I can’t travel right now and I NEEEED this book to make me feel better by living vicariously through others.’ I won. And the book remains unread. I reallyyy want to read this one soon. I love travelogues.
6. Edie: American Girl by Jean Stein– I had just gotten done watching Factory Girl (because I’m obsessed with Edie Sedwick and Andy Warhol) and went browsing online and saw this book and bought it on impulse. I really wanted to learn more about her. I still do.
7. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi– This was one of the most “had to have” non-fiction books. I rushed out to buy it when I heard of it..and still it sits. I’ve stared at it a few times and just never picked it up.
8. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater — This was all the rage and I decided to try me some werewolves. I rushed out to buy it right away and still it sits.
9. Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly — I coveted this one so bad. I saw other bloggers with it and just lusted all day and night. I finally bought it on its release day, went to a signing and met her and then said I’d read it after I finished my next book…and then I don’t know what happened.
10. Every Damn Book On My Shelf…my bookshelf has become the abyss for books I was so excited to buy and read…and then never touched again. It only gets worse and worse with all the new books being released.