Book Signing: Megan McCafferty’s BUMPED Release Event!!

Imagine my excitement when I find out that Megan McCafferty is going to have her release party event for Bumped in her hometown of Princeton, which is only a 45 minute haul for me…definitely worth it! Not only that…this means I get to hang out with some amazing blogger friends again AND meet some new ones! I didn’t have to think twice about clearing my schedule to attend!

I arrived a bit early which was a surprise considering I’m pretty sure my GPS, affectionately known as Crazy Mary, was trying to get me lost and/or kill me. Thanks for telling me that my destination is on the left, but darnit, there is a concrete barrier in my way. Shall I try to go through it? Soon enough, I was in Barnes & Nobles..I grabbed an iced skinny vanilla latte and bought Bumped and I was READY TO GO.

Much hugging and laughing ensued shortly after as some awesome people began to arrive! It was so nice to see the always wonderful Steph Su (my IHop buddy and one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet) and the hilarious Frankie from First Novels Club (who has exceptionally good taste in music and will be joining me to see The Naked and the Famous next week!!). Then I got to meet some really awesome bloggers from around the area for the first time —  Alise from Alise on Life and Jenna from An Avid Reader’s Musings (who are both the sweetest girls ever…I see more hangouts in our future!), Steph’s YA loving friend Melissa from college who somehow managed to survive amongst us crazy bloggers 😛 , and Christi who is a teen librarian who drove all the way from the Jersey Shore!! That’s dedication, folks!

And finally…in walks Megan McCafferty. I feel like fireworks should have been going off and and streamers should have been whizzing through the air because she is that fabulous and she is cute to boot (loved her outfit!).  I was kicking myself in the butt for not making her the cupcakes that I wanted to but..at least I was there! Anyways, Megan started talking a little bit about Bumped and her inspiration for it. She mentioned that the idea really came to her around the time when the Gloucester Pregnancy Pact hit the news, Juno came out, Jamie Lynn Spears/Bristol Palin got preggers and the whole 16 and Pregnant phenomenon had sparked much media attention. The focus on the teenage pregnancy issue, coupled with the extremes on how to handle it coming from different political spectrums, really inspired the concept behind Bumped.

Another interesting point she touched on was that Bumped isn’t supposed to be an “issues” book about teen pregnancy. And rather than being a dark dystopian tale about girls being used to make lots of babies..it is more of a satire. I was so glad to hear this confirmed because when I had first started reading it, I wasn’t sure how to take it. And then the more I read, the more I began to think I knew that it was more meant to be more satirical than anything…so I was glad to hear her explain it!

And then she read from Bumped and I truly mean this…everyone who reads Bumped should get to listen to her read an excerpt because it really sets the whole tone of the book. All the “rillys” and valley girl-esque pregs talk really came to life and was HILARIOUS. After some Q&A it was time to get our books signed…and let’s just say it turned into a book blogger photo shoot. Work it..work it..work it. Show a little more book. We were pretty early in the line and I’m pretty sure that everyone behind us HATED us. lol. I would have. Oooh and we got to see Megan’s ADORABLE son…and apparently we have something in common..our love for Rick Riordan. He’s just as bookish as the rest of us because he just about melted when he heard that Rick was going to be at the same B&N next week.

Then we went to get some food, because in my experience, bloggers love food just as much as they love books! It was a great time. SO many laughs. We talked about everything from books to extreme couponing and BEA!!  It was seriously so much fun and I’m so happy to meet some other bloggers around the area. They are all really awesome people!

Jamie is a 30 year old married lady who is in denial that she’s actually that old. When she’s not reading you can find her doing Pilates followed by eating ice cream, listening to music with oversized headphones and having adventures with her husband and dog.

Comments

1. BookMystress/Monique Writes says:

Sounds like you had an Awesome time hunn,

🙂

2. Vy (Vy's Blog) says:

That sounds so fun and Megan sounds so nice. Really cool how you met so many other bloggers. Now I really want to go get myself a copy of Bumped.

3. Steph Su says:

Yo can you send me the full version of that group photo? I love it… almost as much as I loved meeting Megan and hanging out with you again tonight! We're totally on for an IHOP date come the third week of May (that's when my exams are over). Can't wait! <3

4. You know this is my DREAM author event. Loved reading about your adventure with Steph & the girls. All this blogger love = signs of fun BEA happenings to come? Hope so!

5. Gah, Rick Riordan too??? NO FAIR. You guys get so many awesome authors around your neck of the woods.

I mean, I might find more around here if I were okay with driving in the city, but still.

At least I get a Diversity in YA stop in a couple of weeks. 🙂

6. TNBBC Super Mod says:

Hooray for having a fab time, and making new blogger aquaintences. I'm happy to hear you are attending more and more of these events, Jamie! Can't wait to see you again come BEA!

You really need to read the Jessica Darling series because then YOU WILL FULLY LOVE & APPRECIATE MEGAN MCCAFFERTY THE WAY I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!! She rocks my world.

Jealous you got to meet her! What a fun time 🙂

8. mananddog says:

I wish more authors would come to Utah to do signings… maybe I am not looking in the right place to find where they are signing. That sounds like a blast! So… who won the book? 🙂

9. Crazy Mary must be related to my GPS. I programed in the address for a restaurant and Garmie took me to the middle of a cemetery in the dead of night! I was just waiting for kidnappers to jump out and drag me out of me car!

Sounds like a wonderful night!

10. Christina / Book Addict says:

I so wish I could have gone with you guys to this event. It looks like you guys had a blast. I am so jealous! Thanks for sharing these photos with us!

11. Christina / Book Addict says:

12. Christina / Book Addict says:

13. Midnyte Reader says:

That is sooo interesting where she got her inspiration…all those things in the news were, well, really news-worthy I guess. It's great hanging out with other bloggers, I'm so glad you had a good time.

14. A Backwards Story says:

It sounds like you guys had so much fun! I can't wait for something to happen closer this way to join you! 🙂

And Rick Riordan is launching there, too? *dies* How does Princeton always get so lucky?? I wish he was coming to my BN's launch party event next weekend, haha!

15. Michelle says:

Looks like oyu had a fantastic time! So jealous that you got to meet Megan Mccafferty, I loved Bumped!

16. Jennifer says:

Well, it sounds like you had a really great time. I'm so jealous that you got to meet Megan McCafferty-she has been one of my favorite authors since high school when I started reading about Jessica Darling! I bet it was quite an experience to hear her read from Bumped!

17. deprey says:

Don't get upset but…your not bad looking yourself kid..also

your a pretty good writer and a pleasure to read.

Ger

Wahhh… WHY COULDN'T I GO, TOO!?!? Oh that's right, because we live 70 billion miles away from one another. Sigh. You have THEE best author events out there. I'd like to pick up my life and move it there.
    So glad you had fun! Great pics, and you are the cutest ever. *creeper smile and wink*

19. My anxious life says:

I will be going to my first book signing next week.. Charlaine Harris. I actually have a number for in line. I am number 22! I am a little nervous I don't know what to expect but I am excited!

Angie

XOXO Angela's Anxious Life

20. My anxious life says:

Oh AND I am a fellow Chicks on Lit member on goodreads!!! 🙂

21. Jennifer A says:

That is so freaking awesome! How cool that you got to go to her release. The pictures are great! 🙂

Jennifer of Little Shelf

22. Rachel @ Bookshelf Lust says:

I thought about going to this, but it would have been about 2 hours on trains each way for me. Megan seems so awesome. Sounds like you had a lot of fun!