Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at my other blog — The Broke and the Bookish!
Today is FREEBIE week for Top Ten Tuesday — you can post a top ten bookish list about anything you wish! I decided to list my favorite contemporary YA reads. Sorry for all my readers of adult fiction! I’ve just been reading some really good contemporary YA lately!
1. Lola and the Boy Next Door – Um my review for this is almost embarrassing as I reread it. I never really write “OMG fangirly gushfest” reviews because I’m just NOT good at it. But for Stephanie Perkins…it happened. Lola is honestly incredible — one of the best contemps ever. Real issues that felt authentic of the teen experience..not something overly contrived. Great parents involved (she has two dads!) and she and Cricket are amazing characters!
2. Anna and the French Kiss — Ok, folks. It’s like this….Stephanie Perkins seriously is my go-to for contemporary YA fiction so I had to put her on here twice because both of her books were 5 star reads for me! Anna and the French Kiss had the perfect amount of drama and the allure of Paris was undeniable. Oh, and St. Clair…begin swooning NOW!
3. If I Stay/Where She Went — I have to put these two together because they were both incredible and I just see them as a whole story. If I Stay made me honestly sob buckets as it handles a tragedy in the life of a young girl. Where She Went was an honest and raw portrayal of what happens after…for everyone.
4. Ten Things We Did And Probably Shouldn’t Have – OMG. I laughed so hard with this book. It was fun but also confronted some real issues but in a non-preachy way. Be on the lookout for a review!
5. Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour – ROAD TRIP! This one combined my love for mixtapes, road trips and romance. It was truly EPIC.
6. Speak – This one is probably one of my favorite books ever. Such a difficult issue and Laurie Halse Anderson dealt with it so delicately but honestly! Very powerful. Definitely should be on the top of your list for contemps you should read!
7. Crank – Such a gritty contemporary YA about an addicted teen….written in verse! I still have yet to read the sequel but I plan to soon!
8. Thirteen Reasons Why – I’ve never felt such a myriad of emotions while reading a book. This book deals with suicide in a unique and interesting way through a series of tapes planned out to be sent after the suicide was planned. Honestly, it was a heartbreaking novel — you feel bad for the girl but also feel so angry for how she sent these tapes out.
9. Raw Blue by Kirsty Eager– This is one book that more people need to know about! It’s written by an Australian author (and SET in Austrailia) and it is wonderful! It was refreshing to read some older YA characters and I found it to easily fall among one of my favorite books I’ve read this year.
10. The Perks of Being A Wallflower – All fans of YA contemporary fiction should read this book. One of the first YA books I ever read!
Are there any YA contemps I MUST read? I really want to expand my list!