Books I Want To Reread – Top Ten Tuesday

So Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at my other blog — The Broke and the Bookish. I’m an IDIOT and started the wrong list for this one — Top Ten Books You Wish You Could Read/Experience Again For the First time which isn’t until a few weeks from now. I realize what poor planning that was on my part! SORRY!

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins — I want to read this whole series over again because I devoured it and now I really want to read a bit more slowly..and plus the movie is coming out so obviously I will reread!

2. The History of Love by Nicole Krauss — This book is one of my favorites but I feel like I can’t remember why I loved it so much. I remember loving the story and finding her writing beautiful but that’s all.

3. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins — I loved this book! And after having read Lola and the Boy Next Door it made me want to reread this one realllll soon!

4. On the Road by Jack Kerouac — I was OBSESSED WITH THIS BOOK in high school and college. Favorite status. I really want to read it again to see if I still feel the same way towards one of my favorite Beat writers!

5.  The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath — This book will forever be a reminder of a really hard time in my life. My mom had just gotten diagnosed with brain cancer, I had moved out for a month during my senior year because things were so bad at my house, and I just felt like nobody got me. This book hit me real hard. I want to reread to see how I still feel about it.

6. Every book Judy Blume ever wrote — I read ALLLL OF THEM as a tween and I just have this urge to go back and reread them all. Add to that every Beverly Cleary book.

7. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson — I read this SO long ago and I feel like I want to reread it so I can really really talk about it with young people (and all people!). I mostly just say, “OMG THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVES…SO POWERFUL.” But I want specifics to talk about.

8. The Perks of A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky — I read this before I actually really READ young adult literature. I want to see if I still find it brilliant. And plus, the movie is coming out!

9. Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen — It took me freaking forever to actually read it! It demands a reread because it is amazing and it really is a book that deserves it!

10. Twilight — OK. So this one. I devoured Twilight. DEVOURED during my last finals week of my college career. Anywho, I knew that I didn’t like it for the writing or anything but I can’t deny that I couldn’t put this down. After reading, I did take issues with certain things but I just want to read it again— and forget about what anyone says and how I first felt — and see if I liked it or just really needed to escape the day I read it. But at the same time…I don’t want to reread. I just almost want to leave it as it was — a book that got me into YA that I couldn’t put down.

Comments

1. Emily @ Books and Threads says:

I did the Judy Blume reread – along with Ellen Emerson White's 'teen' books – a few years back, and it was such a fun experience! I love being able to go back years later and see how books change and stay the same!

My Top Ten list if over here if you'd like to stop by!

2. I have a Judy Blume title on my top ten list this week, and Twilight as well! Speak just got edged out. Great list.

3. I have P&P on my list too. I last read it in 9th grade, so it's definitely due for a reread.

I read Twilight (or certain passages, at least) all the time. After I first read the series, I found myself searching online for excerpts to read when I needed a "fix". After a few months of this, I finally broke down and just bought the entire series, so then I could reread all of them whenever I wanted! I'm so obsessed, it's embarrassing.

4. So funny – I was JUST thinking about Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, and all my favorite childhood authors! Will definitely have to reread them sometime. I reread Perks over the summer and I'm pretty curious what the movie will be like.

5. Jessica Spotswood says:

P&P, ANNA, and HUNGER GAMES are all books I've already reread! SPEAK is so great, too. I've never read PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER but I'd like to, before I see the movie!

6. High five for Beverly Cleary! I almost added the Ramona collection to my list but I decided against it. That was one of my favorite series when I was a young'n

7. Laura @ The Shabby Rabbit says:

P&P is on my list too…and then there are books on your list that I still NEED to read…like the Bell Jar and On The Road. Beverly Cleary is such a cool choice!

8. readingfuelledbytea says:

I bought The History of Love quite recently – clearly I should get to it soon!

9. inlibrisveritas says:

I love Beverly Cleary!! She was one of my favorites as a child. I can understand Twilight, because I was the same way. I hate the books but I won't deny I couldn't put them down.

10. Jan von Harz says:

I have the Twilight series, Speak and the Hunger Games on my list also, bu thave yet to read The perks of Being a Wall Flower and have seen this recently on quite a few lists. I think I really need to read this one since it seems to be a fav of quite a few bloggers.

11. celine.olivia says:

Wow! I've got similar top ten like you including the hunger games, twilight and Anna and the French Kiss! I totally love your top ten books to re-read!

Please check out my top ten too!

12. I once took a day off work to finish Twilight… haha

13. April (BooksandWine) says:

This whole list! Minus Twilight.

I mean, my list is really, really different although we have P&P in common, but still, I love your list.

The end.

You will definitely still think Perks is brilliant! I heart that book SO MUCH. I recently re-read Twilight & it just didn't have the same effect on me. I think I've read too many GREAT books since my first Twilight experience.

15. smellincoffee says:

I've tried to get into "On the Road" a couple of times. It seems like the kind of book I'd enjoy, but it hasn't clicked yet.

16. Christina / Book Addict says:

The Hunger Games, Anna and Pride and Prejudice are on my list as well! Good idea adding The Bell Jar and On the Road- I haven't read these two in years. Great list, Jamie!

17. Christina / Book Addict says:

18. I haven't read any Judy Blume. This is bad … I should go take a peek ๐Ÿ˜‰

Happy Tuesday,
    ~ Shanella

19. Christa @ Hooked on Books says:

I remember reading Speak way back in my teen years and being incredibly moved. But like you I can barely remember it now. Definitely needs to go on the reread list.

20. Ooh, The List sounds like it has a lot of potential!

21. SweetestLittleBookworm says:

Oh! I'm reading all the Judy Blume/Beverly Cleary books now since my kiddos are all at the perfect ages to read them along with me. Ages 5, 8, and 8 (twins!). They're SO MUCH BETTER as an adult!!!!!!

My favorite of all time, forever and ever and ever is Ramona Quimby, Age 8.

~Asheley

I want to reread Anna and the French Kiss too. I loved that book! I can't wait to read Lola. It should be on my doorstep from Amazon today. ๐Ÿ™‚

23. I agree with you on Judy Blume. kayeโ€”the road goes ever ever on

24. I really want to reread Twilight and see how the whole phenomenon has affected how I see it. I enjoyed it the first time, too, but never imagined it would inspire essays, obsession, hatred…

I love Judy Blume. I don't know if I even need to read any of her books again, though – I read them so much as a child, I think they may be permanently imprinted on my brain!

25. Sara (of the Page Sage) says:

Love Pride and Prejudice! I almost put it on my list. Hunger Games is number one on mine, too! (:

26. Laura Ashlee says:

Definitely reading The Hunger Games again before the movie comes out. And I can't wait for the audio of Anna and the French Kiss next month. I will be all over that. That book was SO CUTE!

27. Dead Trees and Silver Screens says:

I agree about Twilight. I think it is a great escape but not a very good book.

New follower!

28. I loooved The History of Love when I first read it. Now I remember hardly any of it. I wanted to re-read it for a while, but I read and reallly did not like Great House and sadly that makes me not care to re-read this one so much anymore. =(

29. I agree with your choice of The Hunger Games! I feel like when I read it, I was so excited to find out what was going to happen next that I sped through it. I want to read it again and try to savor it this time ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm a new follower!

– Alexa

30. A Backwards Story says:

It amuses me that you have two different lists! LOL! On this one…ahhh! THE HUNGER GAMES and ANNA, yes! I've read quite a few of the books this time around (and commented on some of the others on B&B)

31. I just recently bought a whole set of Judy Blume books at a thrift store and I'm stoked to read them again. I'm not sure they are going to be the same, but I'm sure they will be fun.

Come visit my list at The Scarlet Letter.

32. I think I'm going to re-read the entire Hunger Games trilogy on audio prior to the movie release. I don't know that I'll actually see it in the theatre but I'm gonna get my HG on either way.