Honeymoon Dilemma – Wedding Wednesday

Wedding Wednesday is a feature I created so that, for the next year, I can talk about my wedding planning progress, review wedding books, give wedding tips, share bookish wedding ideas, talk about weddings in books, etc. Pretty much whatever I want. It’s going to be a big part of my life so I decided it deserves a place here on my book blog as my life is changing. Find more about it here!

We’ve already started to clash (not in a fighting way)  about what our dream honeymoon looks like. His dream vacation would be going to a Carribean island, staying at a resort and just beaching it up the whole time. While I LOVE LOVE LOVE the beach, I also have this crazy travel bug as most of you know and I basically feel like all islands like that are the same. My dream honeymoon would be somewhere like Europe or Egypt or China and just exploring. So..to compromise I’ve said that maybe we could find somwhere that is near a beach (off of France, Spain or Italy or something) and do the relaxation bit but then for a day or two we can go explore for my sake.

Anyone have any ideas where this place of compromise might be for us? Also, how far in advance do you typically book the honeymoon? What would your dream honeymoon look like/if you are married where did you go?

Comments

1. Cat the Librarian says:

Check out cruises – hubs and I had the same dilemma and compromised with a cruise that had days at sea incorporated for the chill/relaxing part. We did Italy, France and Spain for a week, and it was really nice.

2. Meg @ A Bookish Affair says:

We went to Italy and England for two weeks. Italy has the Amalfi Coast, which I've heard is a really nice beachy place.

3. What about a medi cruise? Or Greek Isle hopping?

I think Italy or Greece would be a great idea that would fit both of y'alls needs. He could get the beach aspect of it, while you could get the culture & sight-seeing. I know they do cruises in the Mediterranean as well, that might be an option – then you can make multiple stops at various places. As for when to book, I would do it just like you'd plan any vacation. I typically start looking at airfare at least 6 months prior to a big trip like that. Also, since you're getting married in August.. if you want to save a few bucks, you could always hold off on the honeymoon until fall/winter & get a cheaper rate.

5. Christina / Book Addict says:

I agree that Almalfi Coast in Italy is amazing- Capri is gorgeous and you'll have the best of both words!

6. Christina / Book Addict says:

7. You could definitely check out Sicily, and Greece sounds like a great option too, like maybe Crete. I have a friend (one of my bridesmaids actually) who spent some time in Sicily and loved it there. You'd definitely be able to explore, and there's plenty of beach.

8. As the Crowe Flies and Reads says:

I don't think a cruise would suit you–you sound like you're prefer to get a feel for the place you're traveling. I've only been to Italy once and Greece not at all, but I think they'd be great compromises for you.

I am a self-declared Caribbean-aphile. I love it more than anyplace else on earth, and I have to say that every island is VERY different. Maybe not for your honeymoon if you want something a big grander in Europe, but take a look at Puerto Rico, which has very rich culture & history, and it has two "out islands" of Culebra and Vieques where you can escape to pure beach bliss.

And I don't know if you're American or not, but if you're not…Cuba would be an amazing honeymoon location that could capture both of your desires.

or maybe Costa Rica or Belize. Or heck, Cape Town, South Africa. Those would also be awesome locations to "split the difference" of your honeymoon desires.

9. plainjaniey says:

I just recently went on our honeymoon and we went somewhere that was so not even close to what most people think is a honeymoon place. Originally we wanted to go to New York because we wanted to go to BEA and then also see New York. We couldn't afford it though so I said then we might as well go to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter so that's where we went. We went to Universal and Disney World though since I figured I was never going to be back there again.

Any way I know that's not an idea about the kind of place you're looking for but I just wanted to say that while going to the beach may be fun it might also be fun to do something different!

I do think cruises are fun though but not for Europe. I think you probably want to actually see it and generally with cruises you only get a few hours to half a day in one place.

I know I'm no help sorry!

10. Lu @ Regular Rumination says:

Southern Spain is great for this. Plenty of lovely beaches on the Med, lots of exploring to do in the big cities.

11. StephTheBookworm says:

Egypt is the number one place I'd like to visit. I hope you get to go!

12. dooliterature says:

I agree with what a couple of other people have been saying. Maybe somewhere like Greece? I know there are some nice beaches in Spain, too. There are also a lot of places in South America that might be a good fit for you too!

I haven't even begun to think about the honeymoon yet in my wedding planning, ugh. I hear that 6-8 months before the honeymoon is a good time to start booking, though. Also, I read somewhere that Mondays are a good day to travel internationally.

13. I went to Maui and it was wonderful. I think going to Italy would be amazing!

14. My travel style is similar to yours. And I'm not married, BUT I would say, you have to think about what you want out of this trip.

Don't treat it as your only trip ever. Make it the first of many.

Italy is fantastic. The Amalfi Coast is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, but keep in mind it's mostly rocky beaches. Still gorgeous.

The Cinque Terre (northern part of Italy near French Riviera) is drop dead gorgeous and very secluded. Very Italian. That might be something you would both be into.

But – if he ultimately wants to lie on a beach, and you really want to be a tourist, you might have to rethink. Maybe do relaxing beach vacay for honeymoon and plan Europe trip for five year?

I've heard many people say wedding is EXHAUSTING and that by honeymoon, they just wanted to relax.

15. I'm going to leave Europe for a moment here (though all those suggestions above sound great – can I come?), but I've heard that Thailand is amazing for a nice mix of beaches and exploring. I'm not sure what the weather will be like there during your honeymoon (worth checking into, especially if you're going somewhere that has monsoon or hurricane seasons).

16. SweetestLittleBookworm says:

Dude I went to Jamaica. Totally an island like your guy is talking about and like you're trying to get away from…but we LIVED IT UP. All inclusive, baby. Oh my word, the food. And the view. And the crystal clear water. We did all of the fun island stuff, but it was somehow DIFFERENT because it was the honeymoon and not just a vacay. So while the exotic European/African stuff sounds totally awesome, don't totally count out the island experience for the honeymoon because I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

~Asheley

17. Geography is definitely a class I did terrible in while in school but I think somewhere in South America could even be cool (stay away from areas that have drug wars though!) You could go to some really pretty beaches but also explore the jungle, ruined city type places. Also, I think the Dead Sea would be AWESOME! My dream Honeymoon would be Hawaii or traveling through Europe. I am kind of a mix of you both. I want the classic beach honeymoon but I also want to site see! No matter what you pick though, it will be amazing!

18. What about the Philippines? 😛 We have so many beautiful beaches over here and you can do a lot of exploring wherever you plan to go. You can go to places like Coron in Palawan or Bohol. And Filipinos are friendly and most of us speak English so you wouldn't have a hard time in terms of communication.

19. Ooh, you could totally go to Italy! There's lots of pretty beaches near Venice and then you can go there for a day as well! (I've been there about 3 years ago and it was lovely)
    Or you know, you could come to Holland and have crappy weather and some sort of cultural experience 😉 We have beaches!

20. I spent a week in Nice on the French Riviera and it was lovely! Kind of weird that the beach is stones instead of sand. But it is actually pretty comfortable and makes you feel like you're getting a hot stones massage.

21. Greece! You can see the ruins and he can see the islands.

22. I am so not a traveller so I definitely can't give any great suggestions. But I would say I think I would do something small scale and use more cash towards buying a house. Then for an anniversary splurge for the big tour of Europe! 🙂

23. Jennifer (An Abundance of Books) says:

Have you thought of Thailand? Great beaches and activities that you can do (from diving and snorkeling, hiking, cooking and yoga classes, just about everything. There are lots of places in the south that you can go. Generally it's very relaxing but you can stay busy if you want.