As always, Top Ten Tuesday resides over at my other blog – The Broke and the Bookish – where you can make your own post, link up and check out everybody elses lists!
Endings…oh endings. My love and hate for various endings has no rhyme or reason. Sometimes I appreciate a cliffhanger and sometimes I think it is a cop-out. Sometimes an ending will be so unsatisfying thus leaving my mouth wide open like, “THAT IS ALL?! You have got to be kidding me?” Sometimes they blow my mind by the revelations that happen at the end whether it be plot related or just a beautiful message that weaved through the novel and the last page somehow just brings a strong sense of closure. Sometimes I like happy endings where things are all tied up in a pretty bow and sometimes I’m glad that an ending was messy because that’s freaking how real life is. I can’t figure out what makes a good ending for a book clearly. Regardless, here are 10 books that made my mouth hang wide open:
And I’ll let you know up front…NO SPOILERS UP IN HURR…I promise I didn’t!
1. Delirum by Lauren Oliver – I found myself just flying through that final scene and was stopped dead in my tracks and something that happened and then OH WAIT..I realize it’s DONE even though it looked like I had more pages on my Nook and now I have to wait to find out what happens. NOOOO. We’re dealing with important things HERE!
2. Fever by Lauren DeStefano — Both Wither and Fever end, in what I found to be an appropriate place in their own ways, but at a place where you seriously are like OMG….I just want to keep reading because something VERY IMPORTANT just happened!!
3. If I Stay by Gayle Forman — I finished this book with red eyes and my mouth wide open. YOU JUST RIPPED MY HEART OUT AND THEN END IT LIKE THIS?!? I loved this book to pieces and just wanted to keep reading because I was so emotionally invested that I just needed to know how it ended!!
4. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins – That book had my mouth hanging open for a good portion of the end. It was just pure epicness that left my mouth hanging wide open and well because things happen that are MAJOR setup for Mockingjay!
5. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin — I WTFed my way through most of this book and the ending was particularly WTF inducing.
6. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer — I have no words. This ending left me in pieces.
7. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk — Well…duh. I’m sure you’ve seen the movie. Major WTF ending. A brilliant one in my opinion. It was cool before the complete mindfuck was cool.
8. The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffeneggar — I liked this book but after all that here and there and what not..I thought the ending was a bit predictable so my mouth was kinda left wide open in that REALLLYY THAT IS ALL kind of way. I wanted the ending to really blow my mind since I really liked the book and it took a lot of concentration to figure out the here and there and the time traveling.
Ok, my brain is refusing to cooperate to think of two more. Makes me realize how HORRIBLE my memory is!!