Lauren Oliver IN THE HOUSE!

So the book signing gods must have heard my cries about the lack of amazing YA book signings in the area because I happened to get an email alerting me to the fact that Lauren Oliver was coming to the wonderful Children’s Book World in Haverford, PA about 45 minutes away from me. AMEN AMEN AMEN! I loved Delirium with a deep, fiery passion and plan to read Before I Fall & Liesel & Po before the end of this year..so you can imagine how excited I was for this event.

I met up with fellow bloggers Vi, Lillie, Jenna and the 3/4 of the First Novels Club — Frankie, Donna and Sara! Ain’t no party like a blogger partayyy! See how lovely they all are! And please notice how tall Lauren is! Perspective: I’m about 5’6.

We got to listen to Lauren read from Liesel & Po which truly sounds like a magical book that I cannot wait to devour and buy for all my little cousins. Lauren is such a laid back and chill speaker/reader and passion seems to be exuding from her when ever she answered questions. She made me even more excited about her books..and pretty much I want to be best friends with her. If I ever made a list of Top Ten Authors Who I Wish Were My Besties for Top Ten Tuesday…she’d be on it. FOR SURE. She’s really sweet and really really cool. And you know what? She carries a Jamie sized handbag! The huge kind that Will gets annoyed when I carry because it takes me hours to find anything. GOOD PEOPLES. She even had her computer in there! For what you ask? She showed us drawings she made so she could show the illustrator who worked on Liesel & Po. After that we had a Q&A session and then she signed our books. I loved talking wedding planning with her! Did you know she’s engaged and getting married about a month after me?? I also told her how the ending of Delirium slayed me. I secretly think she enjoys slaying people 😛

Now here’s 5 things you would have learned had you been there:
1. Lauren affectionately refers to Pandemonium as Pandy.
2. After I told Lauren how much Delirium’s ending slayed me, she uttered one sentence about Pandemonium and that was, “Pandemonium has a WOW ending too.” AHH.

3. Lisel & Po is largely autobiographical and deeply personal. The story came to her after losing her best friend and she was in a “grey” sort of place much like Liesel’s world which is devoid of color and magic. She’s happy that the book finally is out and lives on shelves so that a piece of her love for this friend and be alive within the reader.

4. When asked about how completely different each one of her books is, she explained that she really just writes the stories that come to her rather than stay put in one genre or type of story. (She’s even writing an adult novel apparently!?). She explained that random things set her stories into motion in her head. For example..Delirium. She wanted to write a love story and then she was thinking about the whole swine flu hysteria and how crazy people get over stuff like that and then, whilst on a treadmill, she started thinking about RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME. Yes. Restless Leg Syndrome. And then she thought, “That just means you have legs” and pondered how over medicated society is and how easily people could be convinced that they have some sort of disease or something wrong with them..and then she thought about how love really is one of those things that physically and pysiologically can create some intense symptoms and feelings…more than things like Restless Leg Syndrome! Somehow the story came from those thoughts!

5. Lauren can draw! She tried to downplay it by showing us HER sketches for Liesel & Po compared to the illustrators but seriously, Lauren, you’ve got skillllz.

Anyways, it was a blast and Lauren is so fantastic. You should probably check her blog to see if she’s coming to a city near you!

Now see, book signing gods, Philly bloggers make a showing…please continue to shower us with author love.

Comments

1. Lenore Appelhans says:

I'm so glad you got to meet Lauren! She's so much fun 🙂 And yes, Pandy has a seriously cruel ending too. Seriously.

2. Christina / Book Addict says:

I am so jealous! I wish I could have been there. Darn grading. I MUST meet up for the next signing. Do you know of any? Let me know. Thanks for sharing this with us and the awesome pictures.

3. Christina / Book Addict says:

4. librarygal says:

Fabulous Post…I <3 her so much!!!!!

5. I love lauren so much it crosses the border into fangirl crazy territory. canNOT wait to get my hands on pandemonium!! ahhh Lena.

6. Frankie Diane Mallis says:

Had the BEST time! Still thinking about that Pandy arc….

7. Looks like it was fun! And YES BOOK GODS… Show Philly Love 🙂

8. I'm so happy that Lauren had a signing near you!! Now when I see Pandemonium all I'll think of is Pandy lol.

9. As the Crowe Flies and Reads says:

Sounds like it was a great event. I've got both Delirium and Pandemonium (early reading copy) on my shelf to read and I'm looking forward to it. (and now I know to expect to be slayed [slain?] at the end of each one, so thanks for the warning!)

But as a fellow indie bookseller, I really want to know what store hosted her? Maybe you could give them a tiny shout-out, too!

10. Lenore — OMG I'm so jealous that you have read it! I want to know what happens!!

Christina — Amy Garvey and Beth Kephart are coming up soon at Chester County Books.

Jen — Thanks! <3 Love Lauren!

Frankie — OMG I KNOW. I wish I was a vampire so I could have compelled her to give it to me.

Carla — OMG I felt like that last night and then again when i was writing this post. I'm like, "Shit, I hope she doesn't think I am crazy obsessed. I mean. Yeah I might be but not in a weirdo way. Hopefully not…"

Jena — This month and next have been pretty good. Let's hope 2012 is even better for YA authors in Philly!

Tara — Bahha I can't think of it as anything else now either. She told us to make Pandy stick and at least I spread it to one other person! 🙂

As the Crowe Flies — Lucky! I am dyinggg to find out what happens next! I hope you enjoy them! And you are TOTALLY right..I should have linked them. I don't know why I didn't! Fixed that! I really appreciate you making that suggestion because they are totally awesome!

11. readingdate says:

Thanks for the great recap! Lauren Oliver is one of my favorite authors and I'd love to meet her sometime.
    You will adore Before I Fall and I look forward to your review. Like you I'm dying to read Pandemonium. Exciting to hear she has plans for an adult novel too. Love how creative all her books are and that she doesn't stick to one genre.

12. That is so awesome! I WANT TO MEET HER SO BAD!!! And Pandy? Way cute! Oh man a wow ending to Pandemonium too? Hopefully it won't be quite as sad as Deliriums wow ending. 🙂

ahahah Pandy. I love it. Also, you're adorbs. TEACH ME HOW TO DRESS (as opposed to dougie.)

14. April (BooksandWine) says:

I'm so jealous! That event sounds awesome.

ALSO, I love your dress.

Stop being so pretty and fashionable, I feel all jealous and stuff.

Actually no, can I sit in on the dressing lessons you are giving to Jen?

15. nea barabea says:

Somtimes sucks so much that I'm from Europe. All my great authors are from the US. :/

I'm so happy for you! It must have been great!

16. Ashley @ Book Labyrinth says:

Sounds like so much fun!! I love it when events are so chill and awesome. Sometimes things can be so formal, so when authors or speakers are so down to earth it's great.

17. A Backwards Story says:

I really, really hope she comes back or goes to Books of Wonder or something. I was DEVASTATED last night!!!

18. Pandemoniums WOW ending was even more wow-ish (for me anyway) than Delirium's. I wish there were more events for YA authors here in DC it really is a shame we don't have that opportunity. Glad you had a fantastic time!