As always, Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at my other blog — The Broke and the Bookish.
I will admit it. Sometimes I’m browsing in a bookstore or on the interwebs (likely Goodreads or blogs) and I see certain cover and I’m like BLAM..I need to read this. It could be a book about toe fungus and I’d probably still buy it if the cover was amazing. I LIKE SHINY THINGS. Also, sometimes I’ll see a very intriguing title of a book and just HAVE to read it. It’s like a good email subject line. It’s got a few words to pique your interest so you’ll open it and some of them just really do it well!
1. Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn’t Have): So here I was, Catalog Creepin the HarperTeen catalog as per usual, and I come across this title. I was immediately adding this to my wishlist for the sake of the title. WHAT DID THEY DO? I had to know all the shenanigans that went on and WHY they shouldn’t have done them! For some reason I knew it was going ot be funny…and it darn well was…as evidenced in my review of Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn’t Have). PS. I ignored the cover on this one. No up close kissing for me. *shudders*
2. Wither by Lauren DeStefano:
I remember seeing this pop up all over the blogosphere and the first thing I did was lust over that pretty dress. There was just something about this cover that intrigued me more than normal “girl in a pretty dress” covers. I think it was also the interesting birdcage next to her. I HAD to know what this one was about…and it turned out to be one of my faves and it was dystopian! HOLLA!
So I’m at a used book sale. I see this cover and for some reason I really like it…it just stands out amongst the Danielle Steele paperbacks and 10 copies of The DaVinci Code. So I bought it. That was a year ago and I still haven’t read it but darnit I like that cover.
4. The Geography of Bliss: One Grump’s Search For The Happiest Places in the World by Eric Weiner: So as you all may no if you have been a reader of this blog for a while…I LOVE TRAVELOGUES. So while I’m browsing the travelogue section this one jumps out at me. It made me chuckle but also.. I HAZ TO KNOW THE HAPPY PLACES!
5. Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist’s Quest to Discover if Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or Why Pie is Not the Answer by Jen Lancaster: If your book can make me snort while I’m browsing in the bookstore..then I will probably buy you. But seriously Jen, PIE IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER.
6. The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
I honestly only bought this book after seeing the cover all over the blogosphere. IT FREAKED ME OUT. So naturally I had to buy it. I haven’t read it yet but I mean…all sorts of scary children horror movies start popping into my head when I look at this. Seriously, creepy children in horror movies scare me more than anything! I don’t even have a CLUE if children have anything to do with that but this cover honestly made me buy it!
7. Hereafter by Tara Hudson:
I feel really bad about this one. I really wanted to like it. I did. I saw the cover. Lusted over how prettyful it was and then about peed myself when I saw that it was on NetGalley and then I couldn’t even finish it for some reason. I know lots of people loved it but it just wasn’t doing it for me.
8. Carpe Diem by Autumn Cornwell
So I’m browsing at Borders during the first wave of closings before we knew all of them were going to close…RIP Borders..and I’m in the YA section and I see this book. In this case both the cover and the title did it for me. I’m like, “All right. Carpe Diem. I can jive with that mantra.” and then I see the cover and I’m just intrigued. It’s so simple yet I totally gravitated to it. Have yet to read this one and I’ve honestly never even HEARD of it ever but so it sits because of it’s title and cover. Has anyone ever read this?!
9. Another Bullshit Night In Suck City by Nick Flynn — Seriously. I only bough this for the title. It sounds like it was the name of one of my journal posts are something on a PMSy day.
10. Across The Universe by Beth Revis:
Sometimes my thought processes make me giggle. I had seen this on someone’s IMM post and at first thought “Ooh Across the Universe. Reminds me of the Beatles. Score.” and then I see the cover and think “Ooh pretty. Shiny.” AND THEN said person whom I can’t remember reveals that when you take the cover off the other side is a cool map and shiz. I immediately got all in a tizzy and typed it in on Amazon and then bought it. NO LIE.
What about you? What covers did you drool over so much they MADE you buy it? 😛 What titles stood out amongst the boring ones? I WANT TO KNOW!