I don’t know what my problem is. I buy books that I’m REALLY excited about..like really, really excited about. I have visions of soaking in my bathtub and curling up with these books immediately…but then something happens. I put them on my shelf and then never read them again. It probably has a lot to do with my attention span in general…I’m always moving from one thing to another very quickly. Always a new thing to latch on to and be excited about. I can’t help it.
Here are 10 books I’ve had on my shelf the longest but haven’t yet read:
1. Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler — I was so stinking excited to buy this book when it first came out. Everything about it screamed, “READ ME NOW..I WILL MAKE YOU PEE YOUR PANTS.” But alas, I haven’t gotten to experience the funnies that I know are inside.
2. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski — I asked for this for Christmas after hearing people raving about it on Goodreads and how completely unique and creepy it was. Yep, Santa brought it but I haz not read it.
3. A Great and Terrible Beauty (The Gemma Doyle Trilogy) by Libba Bray — I am so beyond ashamed about this. I seriously bought this FOREVER ago so excited about it.
4. Life of Pi by Yann Martel — I scored this at a used book sale and was so excited because everyone was raving about it. It’s been years. For real. Lots of years.
5. A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly — This is one of the first books I really bought when I started getting into YA literature. I then got thrown a flurry of recommendations and this got thrown to the wayside.
6. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith — Seriously, how have I not read this book and I own it? I think I got this in college in 2005…which seems like forever ago…because it pretty much was. *ahhh quarterlife crisis*
7.Harry Potter by JK Rowling — I’ve confessed this numerous times. Did you like how I tried to hide it by putting it further down the list? La la la la..how many of you are still going to be friends with me? I’ve been saying I’m going to read these since I started blogging in June of 2010…and before that…I told people I would be reading them since I joined Goodreads in 2008. I’m HOPELESS.
8. The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie — I read part of this in college for a lit class and went out and bought it the next day. Never read it. DAMN YOU COLLEGE. I hear he’s pretty much the cream of the crop when it comes to amazing young adult literature.
9. The Help by Kathryn Stockett— I bought this pretty much immediately when it came out. FAIL WHALE.
10. Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) by Maggie Stiefvater — This is one of the first books I bought after I started blogging in June 2010. I hadn’t really read much YA prior..just here and there…so I was scouring blogs to see what the best of the best young adult books were..and this one kept coming up. I NEED TO RECTIFY THIS!
What about you? What books have you owned for the longest but never read? What about since you started blogging? I don’t know about you but when I first started blogging I bought tons and tons of books that were “must reads” according to the blogosphere and well…still they sit because I bought SO MANY OF THEM.