Best Books To Read For A Book Club

Top Ten Tuesday, as always, is hosted at my other blog — The Broke and the Bookish.

This week the topic is: Top Ten Best Books For Book Clubs

You guys, you have no idea how badly I want to start a book club. LIKE SO BAD. I envision this book club being a place where we read Young Adult books and Adult Fiction books of every genre with a smattering of non-fiction. I want yummy food, lots of wine and adult beverages and LOTS OF LAUGHS. Basically I want to hang out with other book bloggers like I did at BEA because YAH..we would have the best book club ever. In one of my Retail Therapy posts, I found a pin that sums up our mantra:

My Top Ten Book Club Picks:

1. Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepytus: This book. I HAD SO MANY THINGS to talk about and I couldn’t cram them all in my review of Between Shades of Gray. So much to talk about with this book and I think there’d be some great discussion.

2. Paper Towns by John Green: I think there are SO many things to talk about with this book. It’s one of those books that NEEDS to be talked about because it’s quite the thinker of a book. My mind was BLOWN, as evidenced in my review of Paper Towns by John Green, and I’m STILL thinking about this book. As a book club book, it would give much too talk about and I think I’d get even MORE from it.

3. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer: This book has been a favorite of mine since I read it in 2008. I can’t get it out of my mind and WOULD LOVE to read it with others and talk about it. Hopefully everyone else would love it as much as I did or else I’d probably cry.

4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusack: I swear I pick this book for every top ten book list I ever do..but REALLY..it’s that amazing. I’d love to read this alongside a group. I think people would fly through it and there’d be much to talk about!

5. The Bird Sisters by Rebecca Rasmussen: Oh this book! So much to talk about. SO MUCH. I won’t say it will be a happier read for a book club but still good!

6. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: It would be wonderful to read this series as book club. Can you imagine grown women (under the influence of the vino) getting rowdy over Team Peeta or Team Gale?! SHOWDOWN.

7. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver: Some parts of this book were sluggish but overall I think it’d be a great discussion starter.

8. Blindness by Jose Saramago: This book was SUCH an interesting read and I wished that I had people to talk about it with after I read it. It wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea but it’d be one of those books that would stretch some people and would definitely provide some thought provoking discussion.

9. Please Ignore Vera Dietz by AS King: I wish I had a teen book club so I could make everyone read this! A lot of really great things to talk about.

10. Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum: LOVE this book and think a book club of women would enjoy it too!

AHH this makes me seriously want to find or start a book club in the Philadelphia area. Maybe part of my goals for this year?!

Comments

1. Tanya Patrice says:

Awesome recommendations – I just joined a book club, and the 1st mtg I'm going to is next week – I hope it's just like you described!

2. Exciting!! You must report back on how it is!! Bring a flask just in case πŸ˜›

3. I would totally join your book club. If only I were in the Philly area…

(Also: YES on Paper Towns. It's SUCH a good book with so much to discuss about it.)

4. Uhm I would LOVE to have a book club, but I don't know many people near me who take reading as "seriously" as I did.. and Oh! I love your pick of Please Ignore Vera Dietz! Definitely good talking points in that book.

5. Kimberly @ On the Wings of Books says:

I belong to a book club and it's so much fun! We read The Book Thief one month and it was a really good discussion. I wish I would have thought to put Blindness on my list. All your books sound like really good book club picks to me.

And if I may make a suggestion…
    I don't know what it costs to start one because I didn't start my book club, but I found my book club on meetup.com. I had the same problem of not knowing anyone who reads (and wants to discuss) books like I did. I saw my book club on meetup and joined and it's great! Books + alcohol is a great combination. πŸ™‚

6. Vera is on my list as well! Such an awesome book. I really, really need to read The Book Thief!
    My Top Ten Tuesday

7. Some co-workers insisted myself and another co-worker read The Hunger Games, so it was almost like reading it with a book club. It made for some great lunch room discussions and these books have become one of my favourite series.

8. There are some really good books on this list. I definitely agree that Between Shades of Gray would spark some really interesting conversations in a book club setting.

9. Megan Monell says:

Great picks! My book club read some of those, like The Book Thief. I ended up starting a small club of my friends online. I don't have enough local reading friends, so it's exclusively online. It isn't quite the same, but I had trouble finding clubs around here that weren't old ladies reading harlequin romances. =/

10. I would totally join your book club if you started one. A lot of the books on your list are titles that I'm meaning to read this year.

The only one I have read is The Hunger Games – and I've had some interesting discussions with others who have read it too. It would definitely be a fun book club read.. Oh, and Team Peeta all the way πŸ˜‰

11. 1) Move to Chicago and be in ours! 2) If that's too much work, start your own! Let's discuss — it's easier than you think!

12. Great list! I picked Paper Towns up from the library last week and can't wait to get to reading. Totally agree on THG and The Book Thief- it really is THAT amazing.

And if you're looking for a book club, you should look into the FYA book clubs, that's what I'm in. They probably have one in your area! πŸ™‚

I also put The Hunger Games on my list too. Although, my reasons are more for the overarching themes than the Team Peeta/Gale showdown.

14. Kate @ Musings says:

I have to say that I love the pic of "My Drinking Club has a Major Book Problem"! Very funny! Looking for one of those!

Here is my Top Ten. I hope you stop by!

15. Shannon (Giraffe Days) says:

Agree with you about Blindness, it was very absorbing and interesting, I loved it. And The Book Thief, yes, absolutely amazing.

I got Please Ignore Vera Dietz when it first came out because I loved Dust of 100 Dogs but I still haven't read it! It just keeps getting bumped by book club and challenge books. πŸ™

Here's my list.

16. FABR Steph says:

Great list! I love the variety of discussion opportunities.
    Love the drinking/book pic. Too cute.

-FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews
    My Top Ten…

17. Nina Reed says:

I have a book club very similar to that! The biggest difference is that at least half of the girls never actually read the books, but show up for the wine and gossip:P

18. alitareads says:

Is there not a Forever Young Adult book club in Philadelphia? Seems to me like there should be. That's how I found my book club, and it's pretty much everything you've described. Although we only read YA, tasty desserts and adult beverages are v. important to our meetings.

I just finished Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, and yes! It would make such a great book club book.

19. Kate {The Parchment Girl} says:

Great list! I need to read more of the books on this list. I would also recommend Room by Emma Donoghue. It's another great discussion starter.

20. Jenna Blum posed a giveaway of Those Who Save Us on Facebook! Copies of the book and a Skype book club with her!!! She's amazing,,,

Great choices!

21. A Backwards Story says:

So many good books on that list!!! I want to read Vera very, very much!

Let's have a book club! <3 I'd join if I could get there <3

THE NIGHT CIRCUS by Erin Morgenstern and THE THIRTEENTH TALE by Diane Setterfield are also two great book club books πŸ™‚

22. Asheley (@BookwormAsheley) says:

Aaah, I want to come to the book club. Okay? Cause all of these are great. The ones I've read…I'll re-read. The ones I haven't read, I'll read along with everyone else. And the fun and drinks and discussion and reading friends and AAAHHHH I want a book club too.

23. Awesome list! I had a super busy week and totally forgot to do the Top Ten Tuesday this week (whoops!) I'm glad that I'm not the only one who includes The Book Thief in every top ten πŸ˜‰