Top Ten Books To Look Forward To In 2012 (In My Humble Opinion)

Top Ten Tuesday is, as always, hosted over at my other blog The Broke and the Bookish. If you like lists of books and authors…you will enjoy TTT.

I am SO STOKED about every single one of these. I wasn’t sure whether I was going to post about my top ten books I’m excited to read in 2012 (so I could include anything; not just new releases)  but I decided that I’m really super excited about some books that are coming out this year and so I must go that route!!

1. Diva (The Flappers) by Jillian Larkin — I REALLY love this YA Historical Fiction series! I loved Vixen the best but I thought Ingenue was riveting and the ending just makes me desire Diva even more!! I’ve always been enthralled with the 1920’s and the flappers but this series has made me rekindle my love for learning about this time period and I’ve been taking out all my Fitzgerald novels again. LOVE.

2.  The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges — I LOVE LOVE LOVE books set in Russia (and I won’t lie…totally a fan of Russian literature) and I don’t see it enough. The Gathering Storm is a YA historical fiction with paranormal elements set in 1888 in St. Petersburg. It looks pretty interesting and it comes out next week!

3. Pandemonium (Delirium) by Lauren Oliver — It took me a while to get into Delirium by Lauren Oliver as I mentioned in my review. I was really getting ready to give up because I just couldn’t understand WHY everyone loved it so much. But then I was suddenly sucked into the world and the ending just left me with my jaw on the ground. I am currently in possession of this one and I can’t wait to read it!! I’m hoping some of my issues with Delirium aren’t issues here.

4. The Academie by Susanne Dunlap — Oh you KNEW I’d be excited about this, right? YA Historical fiction set in Paris (the subject for my first Of Literature & Locations post) and there is a BOARDING SCHOOL. The main character is President Monroe’s daughter and she ends up at boarding school in Paris being classmates with Napolean Bonaparte’s daughters who seem like quite the troublemakers! I’m EXCITED. If there is one thing that gets this little francophile excited it’s French history…oh and French cuisine. 😛

5. The Last Echo: A Body Finder Novel by Kimberly Derting — I loved The Body Finder but didn’t LOVE Desires of the Dead but it DID have some interesting things setting up for The Last Echo. I’m excited to see what happens to Violet and Jay! If you like a good YA mystery, this one is pretty darn good! I got this one in the mail the other day so I’m hoping to start it soooon!

6. Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins — OH HI. Do you know me? I’m the girl who gushes about Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door. While it took me a while to give Anna a try because of the horrid cover, I relented and OH MAN. Stephanie Perkins is now one of my favorite young adult writers of contemporary! She writes contemporary young adult novels in a way that I love and her characters are unforgettable to me. I GET THEM.

7. Gone, Gone, Gone by Hannah Moskowitz — All I had to see was someone say that this was a good one for fans of Will Grayson, Will Grayson…and I was GAME. It sounds really good though…even without that comparison!

8.Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard — I’ve had this on Netgalley and have yet to read it but I’m so STOKED for it. If I could do anything in the world (ANYTHING)..it would be to travel the world. I am obsessed with travelogues and travel themed novels so this one is a must read for me! THE TRAVEL BUG IS BUZZING THROUGH MY VEINS!

9.Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson — I was quite fond of Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour so there is NO WAY I’m not picking up a book written by this author.

10. The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long — This world sounds so magical and enchanting and the cover drew me in immediately. I am excited to hear more about this one!!

Some honorable mentions coming out soon:

+ Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
+ Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
+ The Catastrophic History of You & Me by Jess Rothenberg

ALSO..I didn’t add it on this list because I already read it but FEVER by Lauren DeStefano. YOU MUST READ IT!

What books are you looking forward to? Does anyone have any 2012 adult fiction books because I realized all the books on my radar for 2012 are all Young adult! Normally I have a good amount of adult fiction books to be excited about!

Comments

1. I haven't read much YA fiction but some of these sound amazing! thanks for sharing!

2. just finished Pandemonium yesterday — dying to discuss! read it soon!!!

3. As you noticed on GR, I am reading The Gathering Storm and loving it so far! I love Russian settings too 🙂 AND THE ACADEMIE IS ON MY LIST TOO BECAUSE YAYYYY And Isla. And basically all the books you mentioned. So there.

4. Tanya Patrice says:

A few of these I'm looking forward to as well, like Pandemonium.

5. 1girl2manybooks says:

I'm thinking Isla, Pandemonium and Second Chance Summer could be popular this week! I've been wanting to try the Flappers series for a while now, will have to try and get to it in 2012

6. Great list! I can't wait for The Academie but especially Isla!!

7. I'm looking forward to Pandemonium, just like a lot of us happy readers. Diva is another one! I haven't read Ingenue yet, but I'm going to soon, to be ready for Diva. Thanks for telling me I didn't even know another one was coming out so soon.

8. There are literally so many books I want to read that it's making me quite giddy! I think Outlander has brought my reading vibes back with a vengeance, because now I want to read ALL OF THE BOOKS RIGHT NOW PLZ

9. Christina T says:

I read an ARC of Pandemonium and thought it was fantastic. I forgot about the new Susanne Dunlap book but I think it sounds wonderful. We need more YA historical fiction 🙂

Second Chance Summer also looks good. I loved Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. Great list!

10. Diva looks good! I've been especially interested in early 20th Century themes lately.

11. Great choices! Second Chance Summer made my list too! I can't wait. And Pandemonium…oh wow…it's amazing!

My Top Ten Tuesday

12. Jessie Marie says:

Wow, great list! I have yet to read a YA HF and those you mentioned are definitely making my TBR list.

Another Russia-lover?! Me, too! It's been my dream vacation ever since I read the Bronze Horseman. *swoons*

Other than Insurgent and Pandemonium, I haven't heard of anything here but it all sounds great. Cheers to a great reading year!

Jessie Marie
    My Top Ten List

13. Anna, Lola, and Isla! I so want all of them in my shelves, so come on Isla! I. Need. You!

Patricia

14. I haven't read Anna (or Lola) but the excitement for Isla is catching! It's showing up on everyone's list!

I love how everyone is throwing in honourable mentions, or side notes – there are WAYYY too many great books coming out in 2012 to limit lists to just 10!

Top 10 Tuesday

Kelly
    Radiant Shadows

15. I think you might be the only lover of Russian Literature I've seen.

16. Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) says:

I also was totally looking forward to reading The Gathering Storm, but I got 30% of the way through it and put it down 🙁 I was so UPSET! It was one of my most anticipated books for 2012 as well 🙁 I'm still sad about it and this was over a month ago!

Wanderlove is all kinds of awesome! You'll love it! I also loved Gone, Gone, Gone!

17. Great choices! I'm not familiar with a lot of these (besides Pandemonium) but they all sound like great reads! Happy new year!

18. These are some great picks. I'm really fond of books set in boarding schools as well.

19. YA Yeah Yeah says:

Agree on several of those! I somehow forgot Second Chance Summer from my list, despite absolutely loving Amy and Roger. The Gathering storm nearly made mine and have already read Pandemonium – really enjoyable, especially for Delirium fans.

Hadn't heard of a couple of yours and will definitely be taking a look at The Academie.

Mine is at YA Yeah Yeah if you'd like to take a look.

20. I always love reading your book suggestions because you have just as much of a fascination with other parts of the world as I do, (and you've introduced me to several new ones that I haven't heard of!) Academie and The Treachery of Beautiful Things sound amazing!

And as someone who read Wanderlove in an earlier incarnation, I really enjoyed it, and am looking forward to hearing what you think. x

Feel free to stop by… Happy Tuesday!

Aaaahhhh I so want The Treachery of Beautiful Things. Also, her dress. I wouldn't turn that down either.

22. confessionsofacommonreader says:

Great list! A lot of those I'm waiting on as well, hope Pandemonium is awesome!

23. Molli @ Once Upon a Prologue says:

I love your list! I'm really looking forward to both Pandemonium and The Treachery of Beautiful Things. 🙂

Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

24. I keep meaning to check out the first Flappers book, but I keep getting distracted by other things. I've never read a bad review though, so maybe it's time to get my act together! Plus, the covers are beautiful.

I have Delirium on TBR but I'm almost scared to read it! What if doesn't live up to the hype? To be fair, I felt the same about Divergent and ended up loving it, but I really WANT to like this one.