Top Ten Tuesday, as always, is hosted at my other blog — The Broke & the Bookish
This week’s topic: Top Ten Characters I Love In X Genre (I picked contemporary YA)
This was really hard! I have so many characters I loved for different reasons in the contemporary YA genre — some I loved their growth, some I saw a lot of myself in and some were just so darn memorable that I loved them!
ALSO: Anna and St. Clair….I can’t believe I didn’t I remember to put them on here! I FAIL AT LIFE! Seriously!
1. Mia: I loved being in Mia’s head and it was honestly one of the most memorable narratives ever. I obviously loved her in Where She Went as we got to see more of her from Adam’s perspective but If I Stay was where I just fell in love with Mia through her memories and the present when she was hanging in the balance between life and death. (Review of If I Stay by Gayle Forman)
2. Adam: Oh Adam. Adam. Adam. Adam. We fall for him in If I Stay as being so super sweet and devoted to Mia but Where She Went is what solidified him as my favorite. That book is special and Gayle Forman knows how to write a truly swoonyworthy boy — and not just because of his looks or anything like that. He’s so fully developed in WSW that you just can’t help but love him! (Review of Where She Went by Gayle Forman)
3. Travis: Oh gosh, TRAVIS. What a realistic YA boy that I loved watching that spark of growth in him. I just loved him so much. He’s been through so much and he has to really work to fight through it. We only catch a glimpse of his journey but it’s one of my favorites! (Review of Something Like Normal by Trish Doller)
4. Jessica Darling: DUH. If you know me…DUH. I need not explain. (Review of Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty)
5. Allyson: Oh gosh. I just understood Allyson so much. I can’t even tell you. Just a lot of the things she was struggling with were things that I have/am struggling with — saying YES, living the life you want to live, letting go of things that hinder you, etc. She’s not always perfect, sometimes she might annoy you or be whiny but I’m telling you…in the depths of my soul I HAD THIS CONNECTION WITH HER. (My review of Just One Day by Gayle Forman)
6. Bria: This is another character that I just really had a connection with as I watched her growth in Wanderlove. I just saw of myself in her or is it her in me? I just love her! (Review of Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard)
7. Tiny Cooper: Tiny may not be the main character of Will Grayson, Will Grayson but he is the most memorable for me and I just loved him to pieces. He’s definitely not perfect and sometimes he’s selfish but he’s got a good heart and I just LOVE HIM. (Review of Will Grayson, Will Grayson by David Levithan & John Green)
8. Carly: Oh Carly. Her story makes my heart seize up every time I think about her. She’s been through some things and I admire her. Plus she’s a super cool surfer girl. (Review of Raw Blue by Kirsty Eager)
9. Audrey: I just loved Audrey! She’s so funny and loveable even when she’s down! I was definitely like her in high school — more shy but still liked to have fun and was playful! I also really connected with her on the music level and just found her downright delightful. (My review of Audrey, Wait by Robin Benway)
10. Sam Border: Oh Sam. What a sad childhood he and his brother Riddle have but he’s still the most kind and loving soul ever. I JUST LOVE HIM FOREVER. (My review of I’ll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan)
So tell me…who are some of YOUR favorite characters in the YA contemp genre that I need to meet! Did you love any of the characters on my list?