I’m so excited to have Kari Luna, author of The Theory of Everything, on the blog today! I’ve been excited to read this one every since I saw it in the catalog at the beginning of the year and I’ve just started it last night!
We’ve all done it. Ran with our hearts and made the ultimate mixtape for someone. Hoping what they felt while listening was even a fraction of what we felt while making it, right? Sophie Sophia in The Theory of Everything does that, too. Her father taught her about tapes, but she’s developed her own system for making a mix. Especially ones about love. And now? She’s passing it onto you, exclusively on the Perpetual Page Turner. May it help you make the most swoony-worthy tape, ever.
How To Make A Mixtape That Will Make Him or Her Melt Into A Massive Puddle by Sophie Sophia
1. Think about the object of your affection. Short? Tall? Wears the best Buddy Holly glasses? In love with Love and Rockets?
2. Do a reign-dance. This consists of running around in circles and flailing your arms. It’s a lot like a traditional rain dance, only this one brings in love.
3. Did you fall for number two? HA HA HA. That was a joke. Stop dancing and start putting those songs together.
4. Include tunes that make you swoon. It doesn’t matter whether it’s The Ramones or Thee Headcoatees, The Shins or Vampire Weekend. What matters is what the songs mean to you.
5. I would say think about the order, but on a tape like this? When you’re practically hypnotized by your feelings? You’ll know.
6. Deliver the tape, but act like it was something you threw together. You know, whatever. I like this mix and thought you might, too. Talk to ya later.
6. Wait for a sign. Birds singing, rainbow sparkles up and down your spine, that thing that lets you know they came. They listened. They melted.
8. Even if they weren’t meant to be yours, they know a great mix when they hear one. So feel good about putting love out into the world. And no matter what happens? Do it again. Crush, haze, heart swell, daze, it’s always worth it.
I’ve teamed up with Kari Luna to bring you guys an awesome giveaway! She had the CUTEST buttons and posters designed (seriously I’m in love with them!!) and I’ll be passing along my ARC of The Theory of Everything to go along with it!
1 Winner gets:
– ARC of The Theory of Everything by Kari Luna
– US Only
– Must be 13 years or older.
– No purchase necessary.
– Contest ends July 26.
Answer one of the following questions in the comments to be entered to win this super cute TTOE poster, button pack and ARC!
1.What song would you put on your swoon-worthy mixtape? Come on, tell us what song you think would get your guy/girl hook, line and sinker! I’d go with I Was Made For You by She & Him or Two Hearts Are Better Than One by Katie Herzig.
2. What is one of your favorite mixes you’ve ever made? You know I’ve been making lots of playlists lately but my favorite mix I ever made was YEARS ago when a friend of mine went through a break-up. I made THE MOST epic breakup playlist — it started out with pissed off songs, sad songs to cry to and then happy, upbeat “I will get over this” songs. It was pretty awesome.
Join us for the last stop of the tour Monday, July 22nd at The Book Cellar!
One part Libba Bray’s GOING BOVINE, two parts String Theory, and three parts love story equals a whimsical novel that will change the way you think about the world.
Sophie Sophia is obsessed with music from the late eighties. She also has an eccentric physicist father who sometimes vanishes for days and sees things other people don’t see. But when he disappears for good and Sophie’s mom moves them from Brooklyn, New York, to Havencrest, Illinois, for a fresh start, things take a turn for the weird. Sophie starts seeing things, like marching band pandas, just like her dad.
Guided by Walt, her shaman panda, and her new (human) friend named Finny, Sophie is determined to find her father and figure out her visions, once and for all. So she travels back to where it began—New York City and NYU’s physics department. As she discovers more about her dad’s research on M-theory and her father himself, Sophie opens her eyes to the world’s infinite possibilities—and her heart to love.
Perfect for fans of Going Bovine, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and The Probability of Miracles.
About The Author:
Kari Luna is a teen novelist and whimsicologist. Her YA debut, The Theory of Everything, combines string theory, 80’s mixtapes and shaman pandas in one book without making you dizzy! Almost. Watch the awesome video here: http://bit.ly/14wQdlp. And find Kari, here: www.kariluna.com tweet: @wordette blog: blog.kariluna.com