Top Ten Tuesday, as always, is hosted at my other blog — The Broke & the Bookish
This week’s topic: Top Ten Books I Was “Forced” To Read (By book club, school, other bloggers, etc)
1. The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien: I was supposed to read this for school in high school BUT I managed to NOT read it but still got an A on the paper. THEN in a lit class in college it got assigned to me and I had to write a 10 page paper on it sooo I ended up reading it and I am SO GLAD I FINALLY DID. It was like fate! One of my favorite books.
2. Harry Potter & The Sorcerer’s Stone: I’m not going to lie. If it wasn’t for the blogosphere I don’t think I would have ended up reading this. I would have just shrugged and decided I missed that boat but you guys have all FORCED me to read it. Thanks guys! Can’t wait to continue on with the series.
3. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead: If you know me, you know I’m not a vampire type gal. I read Twilight and that was it. But some of my blogging bffs have “forced” me to read it solely based on their enthusiasm for it. I just had to know. I didn’t LOVE (very much LIKED) but I’m excited to continue this series because I think it’s going to be fun and I hear it just gets better.
4. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein: I had heard good things about this one and it was on my radar but I don’t think I would have ever gotten around to it if it wasn’t for book club. It started slow for me so I probably would have put it down because I wasn’t into it but I kept reading thanks to book club and I LOVED it.
5. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier: Required reading because of those summertime reading lists we had in high school. I LOVED IT. I even ended up reading more from du Maurier.
6. Unearthly series by Cynthia Hand: All my friends loved this one but I was “forced” to read it when I signed up for the Epic Reads End Is Near event and I was picked to be the official newbie to the series and blog about it.
7. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: I was “forced” to read this by my friend Steph Su. It just looked SO corny to me (the cover really) and I really had NO interest reading it until Steph and I were browsing and she RAVED about it and told me I HAD to read it despite my hesitation. And you know what a Stephanie Perkins fangirl I am now!
8. The Duke & I by Julia Quinn: This was a pick for my “Courting Genres” challenge that you guys voted on and I was “forced” to read because that’s the choice that won! So happy you guys picked this one for me because I adored it!
9. Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis: This was the other pick for my “Courting Genres” challenge and I was so pleasantly surprised by it!
10. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer: Everyone in a Goodreads group I was involved in told me I HAD to read this. HAD TO. They kept bugging me about it so I finally read it. I devoured it. Very much enjoyed it and it was my gateway to YA books.
So tell me…which books were you “forced” to read but ended up enjoying??