Top Ten Tuesday, as always, is hosted at my other blog — The Broke & the Bookish
This week’s topic: Top Ten Books I’d Recommend To X Person
So, every summer we have a family reunion/crab feast in Maryland and every year that we go my teen cousin, a junior in high school, has a Sarah Dessen book. I’ve literally never seen her without a Sarah Dessen book. I’ve talked to her a bit about what else she likes to read and she named a few pretty popular contemporary authors similar to Sarah Dessen but she expressed that she really doesn’t know what to read so she just sticks to all of Sarah Dessen books. Of course, I was all like CHALLENGE ACCEPTED… I will totally make you a list of books to read that are similar to Sarah Dessen’s books. Now I’m not the most well read when it comes to Sarah Dessen books (only a couple) but these are some contemporaries that I think fans of Sarah Dessen will love!
Pretty much, with the exception of two which I’ll note below, these are some of my favorite contemporary books ever!
1. Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson: Road trip! Sweet romance! MY HEART! Also highly recommend Second Chance Summer which wrecked me.
2. Moonglass by Jessi Kirby: Beach setting! Great father/daughter relationship! Also super cute romance!
3. The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han: A classic if you love contemporary YA!
4. The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler: A new favorite! Funny, sweet and made me cry! One of my favorite dads in all of YA lit. Also love Twenty Boy Summer!
5. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: Paris! St. Clair! One of my favorites!!
6. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson: What a beautiful book! If you like your prose more lyrical..whew! Get this!
7. Nantucket Blue by Leila Howland: I LIKED this one a whole lot! So much good about it. I don’t think I even had one bad thing to say in my review..I just didn’t get to that LOVE position. But it’s a great book that I really think my cousin would like! She also plays lacrosse so I think she’ll like Cricket in that way for sure!
8. The Statistical Probablity of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith: SO CUTE! I just can’t even. I devoured it in one day!
9. If I Stay by Gayle Forman: Oh god this book. Make sure you have Where She Went afterwards…I loved that one even more.
10. All I Need by Susane Colasanti: Okay, I didn’t really love this book at all. It was a quick, fun summer-y read but though it wasn’t really my taste I KNOW my cousin would love it.
So tell me…what other books that might not be on my list would be my cousin who is a huge Sarah Dessen fan? She’s definitely not into super steamy books and my aunt would kill me haha. Do you disagree with any of my picks? Agree?