My silly little survey I created for myself to highlight what I read in 2010 suddenly grew when a bunch of others jumped in and has turned into such a fun end of year event that I have LOVED hosting and has made my TBR list grow crazily! So without further ado: the 4th annual End of Year Book Survey!
I know the year isn’t over yet but, as I said in year’s past, this is the time I start reflecting on what I’ve read and start looking ahead because I NEVER get much reading done during December with the holidays and what not! I’ll be filling mine out within the next day or so but I’ll be revising if I happen to read something absolutely earth shattering that would need to be on here!
So feel to fill this out whenever you feel like it…whether that’s today or in January — I know every body will want to reflect at different points! Feel free to link up and share your End of Year Books Survey and visit others on the list!
Note: The survey is for books you read throughout the year, no matter when they were published, and is not limited to just books that came out in 2013!!
Anyone who links up by January 10th will be in the running to win a book of their choice that they saw on my list! Winner will be chosen off the linky.
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Contemporary YA – This is my most read genre so this is hard and I’m cheating. I make the rules sooo I can. We Were Liars, This Song Will Save Your Life, Two Boys Kissing, Something Like Normal, Eleanor & Park and Fangirl, Just One Year, Graffiti Moon, Jellicoe Road. Wild Awake by Hilary T. Smith
Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic – Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
Historical Fiction — Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Paranormal — Something Strange & Deadly by Susan Dennard (however I’m currently reading Pivot Point by Kasie West so I might add this)
Science Fiction — These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner
Fantasy — Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo
I don’t know what genre Not A Drop To Drink is considered but it’s definitely one of my favorites.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Hands down REQUIEM by Lauren Oliver.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
I already answered The Duke & I for best out of my comfort zone read below so I won’t answer that but I will say that one would be This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales — I thought this was going to be a super light read but it wasn’t and it was AWESOME. I’d also say Cinder by Marissa Meyer was surprising for me because it’s SO not something I’d thought I’d like.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
I just read We Were Liars by E. Lockhart and I’ve been recommending it like crazy already but it doesn’t come out yet sooo let’s think of one that’s actually out. I think I’ve recommended Eleanor & Park the most honestly or Code Name Verity.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Rainbow Rowell or Trish Doller — I’ve read 2 of their books this year and none of them got rated below 4 stars!
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I started my Courting Genres project and so adult romance was up first because I’ve never read it/I was afraid of the genre and I absolutely ADORED The Duke & I by Julia Quinn and can’t wait to read the rest of that series.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
This Song Will Save Your Life more than likely!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Oh god. Wild Awake by Hilary T. Smith. Or Unravel Me. Or Graffiti Moon.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
I could easily put some of the books on my favorites list but I’m going to go with Golden by Jessi Kirby — the book was high up there for me this year and it just really made me think about a lot of stuff with the question “what will you do with your one wild and precious life?” — enough to talk about it on the blog.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Haha um is this even a question for me this year? The first Harry Potter book. Did you see my #HPvirgin tweets? Please cheer for me on this one that I’ve FINALLY read this!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
From Wild Awake:
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
How I did this: Went to my read books on Goodreads and sorted by page number and just looked for what I knew I read this yeaer that was the shortest and longest.
Shortest– Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan. GOD for such a small book — WOW. (208 pages)
Longest — City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (485 pages): Yes, I finally read this book! I LIKED it but not loved. I also re-read The Book Thief (560 pages) which is one of my all time favorites.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Romance – Unearthly series (won’t spoil!) and Eleanor & Park for sure (seriously my heart spasmed over this slow burn romance). Okay and Dmitri and Rose from Vampire Academy. That was like sexual tension I can’t wait to read more of. Oh and Cath and Levi from Fangirl!!
Friendship – Honestly Stebbs and Lynn in Not A Drop To Drink or Maddie & Verity in Code Name Verity.
Familial — Callie and her dad in Where The Stars Still Shine or Jude and her dad in The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
No surprise here — contemporary YA!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
I’ve already mentioned Wild Awake & Not A Drop To Drink a bajillion times but that. I’m going to go with one I HAVEN’T talked about yet in this survey and that’s Pretty Girl-13 by Liz Coley. WOW. Very, very intense book.
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Harry Potter — I love how I was so transported into Harry’s new life along with him. Also, These Broken Stars.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Book that made me sob the most: Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson — hit very, very close to home and I cried a lot.
Other books that made me cry this year: Code Name Verity, Something Like Normal, Jellicoe Road, Where The Stars Still Shine, We Were Liars
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
Definitely Pop! Goes The Reader — seriously check out Jen’s blog and she’s AWESOME to boot! Also, Nikki from The Paper Sea! Also I can’t say I DISCOVERED her blog because we were already book club friends before she joined the blogging community but Book Rock Betty for sure!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
Oh man. A lot of them would have been for my favorite books and all those are linked to my reviews above! Let’s go with Unravel Me because it was both flaily but I think I tried to do a good job articulating why Tahereh Mafi is a boss!
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Oh wow! I honestly had some AWESOME ones. Some ones I loved the most were more on the personal side. Some I loved the most:
– If We Were Having Coffee…
– A Moment Of Truth On The Blogging Front & Blogging When You Don’t Feel Like Yourself
– Beyond the Pages
– Jamie Gets Self Conscious Sometimes About Blogging Things
– One of the Hardest Things For A Bookworm to Answer
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
Definitely this post on if book blogging has fallen out of fashion! Some interesting observations for sure and definitely made me wonder about some of it!
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
BEA…always. Such a good time always! I got to hang with my friends and met so many awesome people (some who recognized me because of this post) but check out my thoughts on BEA 2013 with tons of pictures!
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
Starting book club! Even though we formed it in late 2013 we didn’t have our first meeting until 2013 and book club has wonderful! I also was really honored that I was nominated for Most Creative Blogger & Top Overall and won Most Creative Blogger! How cool!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Definitely my post called Married To A Non-Reader: It’s Not As Bad As You Think! It was a blast to write and collaborate with Estelle on and I LOVED hearing your experiences and thoughts!! Oh oh and also my A to Z Book Survey!
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Hmm any reviews really? They take the longest to write and it seems like blogosphere wide the loving for them is going down. I have no doubt that people read them but sometimes when they aren’t getting as much comment love it’s easy to think they aren’t being read. I’d also say I wish my first Harry Potter reading post got a little more loving just because I feel like the world was pushing me to read it but then nobody was rejoicing with me! I also posted it on Thanksgiving so bad move there!
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Um Ashley’s Book Blogger plugin for self hosted WordPress! HANDS DOWN! Makes my life so easy!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I honestly didn’t set any reading goals (okay besides the Goodreads one) or participate in any challenges. I did, however, have my resolutions and I stuck to a few of them like — starting a book club, reading outside of my normal genres, cull books.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
Divergent! Or I think book club will kill me because we have plans to see it! Also, can I just say how nice it is not to have the first Harry Potter as my answer this year like in year’s past! I mean, I know I still have to read the rest of the series but yeah this is a nice feeling.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Hmm this is hard! BUT I think I’m going to go with Side Effects May Vary. It didn’t end up making my list because a lot of previously loved authors have 2014 releases but I have an ARC of this and I’m SOOOOO excited!
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
IGNITE ME by Tahereh Mafi!!!!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
I hope just to keep up this chill thing I have going on with the blog right now. I feel no stress towards it this year really. Sure, at times but after 3.5 years I’ve just accepted it for what it is. I also hope to continue to read outside my normal genres. Try to reread more. I also hope to figure out the things I talked about here.
If you could, I’d love you to leave some feedback for any questions you’d LIKE to see on this survey in the future that perhaps I don’t have on here!
Tell me if you loved any of the books I loved this year! Give me a recommendation for something I NEED to get to!