Image From January
So. Much. Snow. This. Month. Just wait for THIS story.
January In One Word
5 Things That Happened In January:
1. My adorable niece Genevieve turned TWO. My nephew (from a different sister) also turned two — he and Genevieve were born one day a part. My baby sister turned 19…I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS. Lots of birthdays!!
2. We had so much snow so far this winter (an abnormally large amount) and I HATE IT NOW. The last snowstorm we had caused my 25 minute ride home to turn into almost 4 1/2 hours. It was insane. That picture above was me sitting on a road that was pretty much a parking lot and reading!
3. I went to ALA & met some awesome authors, publishing people, bloggers and got some fab books!
4. I redesigned this blog because I got bored one Sunday and didn’t want to tackle things on my to-do list. So, all you people reading from a feed, come visit to see it! I will have cookies prepared upon your arrival.
5. I was sick for like almost 2 weeks. Literally, the first day of January was when I felt it so 2014 started out with me being miserable, sleeping a lot and just generally hating life haha.
6 Songs That Were Most Popular On My Ipod This Month:
I put all my Monthly Rewinds In a Spotify playlist so you can listen to them here now ! I also have a January playlist filled with other AWESOME songs that wouldn’t fit on here — seriously THIS MONTH KILLED ME because so many good ones. I have a VERY eclectic taste in music so you are bound to find something!
1. For 12 by Other Lives:
2. The Struggle by Grizfolk
3. Carousel by Town of Saints (I know they were on my New To The Queue post but I seriously HAD to put them on here because I love this song)
4. Another Love by Tim Odell
5. Looking For Someone by East India Youth
6. Weighty Ghost by Wintersleep
Honorable Mentions: Afraid by The Neighborhood, Coming Of Age by Foster The People, Habits by Tove Lo, Australia (Don’t Ever Let Her Go) by Satellite Stories, Kidnap Me by Cruiser, So High by Ghost Loft
Also, you should check out music I added to my queue in this post!
Top 2 Books I Read This Month:
I’ve not had a mind-blowing reading month honestly. So just FYI these are not 4 or 5 star reads for me (even though i don’t do stars on here — wanted to give you a frame of reference). More like 3 or 3.5 which is still good/I LIKED it but not typically what my TOP are when I answer this.
Most Popular Review This Month
This makes me so happy because I LOOOOVED this book so much! Check out my review for The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson.
Most Popular 5 Blog Posts Overall This Month
1. The Ebb and Flow of My Bookshelves – I loved your array of answers and habits!
2. My bookish resolutions for 2014– You guys seriously helped motivate me with your responses and encouragement!
3. My Reading Wishlist : I had fun writing this list of things I want authors to write. Somebody please get on these things!!
4. How Unemployment Has Changed My Life As A Reader: Loved your support on this one! <3
5. Hey Stranger! I Like Books!! : In which I confess something that some of you LIKE and some of you DON’T like!
3 New Obsessions In January
3 Things I’m Looking Forward To In February
3. Hopefully unveiling my secret project because I think at this point I need accountability.
Favorite Quote From A Book I Read In January
“Becoming fearless isn’t the point. That’s impossible. It’s learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.” — Divergent by Veronica Roth
5 Posts I Starred In My Reader That You Should Check Out
1. How To Tame (Organize) Your Goodreads: This post from Hannah is the best thing EVER! I have 6+ years of Goodreads clutter and I’ve been able to tackle it thanks to this post. MUST READ.
2. Laying Foundations When You Want To Build Walls: I so struggle with this. I definitely bare the scars of some bad friends and being treated like crap so it’s so easy for me to want to build walls. I don’t mean to but it’s just so hard. Especially when I think I’m making progress and then I find out otherwise. I needed this food for thought. Maybe certain walls need to be in place for certain people..but certainly not to everyone.
3. When Your Goals Change: This was such a good reminder for me. I so often feel like a failure when I give up on my goals but it really IS okay for them to change because sometimes I might be more into something and think it’s important but then life happens and priorities and interests shift. It’s OKAY. Always new goals to have. Ones that align with where I’m at right now.
4. On Bad Reviews (On Why You Barely See The On Here) — I loved this honest post from Anna. She’s a blogger I’ve known since the beginning and I’ve always known her stance, for herself, on negative reviews but I was glad to see her talk about it. The thing I love about the blogging community is everyone does their own thing. I love reading constructive negative reviews and I write them when I have to but, for me, I’m okay when a blogger decides to only talk about books they like. It’s whatever tone you decide you want and sometimes I feel like bloggers who don’t write negative reviews get crap about it which saddens me because it doesn’t ALWAYS mean the blogger likes everything they read — sometimes they just don’t want to talk about them/want their site to be a place where they can talk about books they loved. I loved Anna’s well articulated thoughts on why they aren’t for her and I think it gives food for thought for others early in their blogging careers who are trying to figure out what
5. Ginger’s list of 20-somethings in books: Love this list from Ginger! I’ve read Raw Blue and Holier Than Thou and have heard of 3 others but I’m excited to dig into this list! I trust her opinion and this is a fab list!
What sort of things were noteworthy for you in January? New obsessions? Any new song recs?? Best books you read this month? Great posts I missed on your blog? Tell me!