Published by Dutton Juvenile on August 14, 2014
Genres: Contemporary YA
Also by this author: Lola and the Boy Next Door, My True Love Gave To Me
Source: For Review
I received this book for review consideration from the publisher. This in no way swayed my opinion of the book. Pinky swear!
Want an “at a glance” look at what I thought? Check out my Review On A Post-It or my “Final Thought”
“From the glittering streets of Manhattan to the moonlit rooftops of Paris, falling in love is easy for hopeless dreamer Isla and introspective artist Josh. But as they begin their senior year in France, Isla and Josh are quickly forced to confront the heartbreaking reality that happily-ever-afters aren’t always forever. Their romantic journey is skillfully intertwined with those of beloved couples Anna and Étienne and Lola and Cricket, whose paths are destined to collide in a sweeping finale certain to please fans old and new” <— Yep, I’m not giving much more plot wise than the summary this time because we’ve ALL been waiting so long.
It’s been a month since I read Isla and the Happily Ever After and I’ve been existing as a happy, melted puddle on the floor so I was unable to talk to you about this book. I DIED. You know I loved Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door something fierce and I’ve been waiting for YEARS for the final companion novel to arrive in my hands. And it did. And it was SO DAMN GOOD with a side of warm and fuzzies. Stephanie, yet again, delivers that kind of romance that makes your heart melt and leaves you feeling a bit lighter and on cloud nine upon finishing — just pure bliss. They give you hope for your OWN happily ever after story no matter where you are at. As a married lady, it makes me remember falling in love and the accompanying feelings but also makes me realize that I’m living my own happily ever after even if it looks different than my favorite fictional stories…and I have so many more exciting pages to be written.
1. Josh & Isla’s love story made my heart do backflips and feel all ooey-gooey: So, I totally didn’t realize who they were from Anna (shh it was a long time ago that I did a full read) and when I realized who they were I was like OH MY GOD YESSSS! The way their story unfolded was so darn cute to watch and I could definitely FEEL the sparks. And HEY this book was SEXY too. I knew Stephanie Perkins could write the most mesmerizing, adorable romances that can make me swoon (which this totally did) but she also was able to write something with a bit of sexy in it — enough to make me blush a wee bit. I don’t want to tell you anything about their romance because I want you to be as swept off your feet as I was! I also really loved the memories that we get about things that happened in Anna’s book. I barely noticed Isla in that book but I remembered those scenes so well when I was reading them. It was nice to see these nods to that story as we are seeing Isla in a whole new way in her book!
2. As a fan, this book was everything I could want out of a conclusion to a beloved companion series: There was weeping and squealing and I melted into a gigantic puddle of feelings. It was the kind of closure I hoped for from this book but didn’t forgo a solid Isla and Josh story just to give us some great cameos. As a fan, I feel sad that this particular series is over but my heart was soaring. One part made me squeal and I don’t think Will’s hearing will ever recover from that. BUT OH MY HEART. It was like watching a beloved tv series finale and I just wept and felt nostalgic and happy but bittersweetly so because NO…CAN WE JUST FOLLOW THEIR LIVES FOR FOREVER?
3. As a reader, I DID have one SMALL issue (I KNOW I’M SORRY) but it was still perfect as a WHOLE: I feel like I need to be honest that as PERFECT as this book was I didn’t love how the CONFLICT in the relationship was developed. I found myself UNDERSTANDING it but not really feeling like there was any build-up for me to believe it with my whole heart. I HATE having to put a teeny tiny damper on this “OMG I LOVED ISLA” party I’m having here but I just have to be honest. It took me out of their story a little bit and I needed to note that. But you can bet your bottom dollar I was rooting for them and cheering for them to figure it out!
+ romance & swoons, loved Isla and Josh, an amazing conclusion with cameos by our beloved characters
– the basis for which the conflict happened with the romance (not enough buildup for me) but it didn’t really affect my overall rating at all tbh.
Would I buy a copy for my collection? Already pre-ordered it!!
fans of Anna and the French Kiss & Lola and the Boy Next Door, people who love adorable and heart-melty type romances (BUT GO READ ANNA AND LOLA FIRST), people who are looking for a happily evers that are super satisfying
Stephanie Perkins is the queen of happily ever afters and she delivered in this final books in her beloved companion series. I LOVED Isla and Josh and their story and I was over the moon to see what happened to the beloved characters of the previous two books. It was a smile-inducing read that was worth the very long wait and my my heart soar! It was everything I have come to love about Stephanie Perkins books and I’m excited to see what she does next — BUT PLEASE STILL GIVE US YOUR DELECTABLE ROMANCES BECAUSE THERE IS STILL ROOM IN MY HEART FOR MORE!
* Have you read this one? What did you think? Similar or different from me? I would LOVE to hear regardless!
*If you haven’t read it, does this series feel like something you’d be into?
* DID YOU MELT INTO AN OOEY-GOOEY PUDDLE LIKE I DID AT A CERTAIN PART NEAR THE END?? (seriously, when I realized they would be together all in one room I DIED and then the thing after the pizza place…DEAD DEAD DEAD OMG)
* I’m curious, which was your favorite book? Favorite romance? Girl you related to the most?
* Is there anyone who rivals Stephanie Perkins in the swoon department?? Can you recommend something?