Image From This Month
Lots of outdoor reading! Have to get it all in before the weather chases me inside to read!!
AUGUST In One Word
Super busy and fun but some cold weather reminding me SUMMER IS ALMOST OVER. And I’m a summer girl.
5 Things About My Life In August:
1. Will and I celebrated 2 years of marriage: I can’t believe we’ve been married for two years but at the same time, maybe because we’ve been together for like 8 years, I feel like WAIT HASN’T IT BEEN LONGER?! We went to our favorite Mexican place and then we went bowling because we haven’t gone since probably COLLEGE. It was so fun and we had a blast. I also wrote a post where I talked about how we met and gave the deets to how we fell in love.
2. I went to Maryland for my family reunion/crab feast — It’s our yearly tradition and I love coming together to see the family, hang out at the bay, eat a ton and take in an Orioles game.
3. My baby sister and her new boyfriend came down to visit us: My sister met a boy at college last semester and so she came down and we went to the beach one day and just did lots of hanging out with them. We give him thumbs up as the older sisters! Nice kid…and besides my dad (although truly we might be WORSE than my dad), he had a lot of approval he needed to get haha.
4. Will and I did more exploring of finding fun, free/cheap-ish things to do: -We found a new park in the city to love ( THEY HAVE A HAMMOCK PARK), got froyo and did a free movie (Sandlot!!!) in the park that our township was doing, went to Chinatown and tried a new Ramen place and got bubble tea. Lots of NEW places because sometimes we get so stuck in our routine so August was really fun in that way.
5. SAW AND SOBBED THROUGH IF I STAY: NO SERIOUSLY. SOBBED THROUGH THE WHOLE THING. I thought it was really good. Obviously not as good as the book but I thought it was excellent. The music coming to life was AMAZING. I love Adam’s band (go check out the soundtrack and look for Willamette Stone)!! And Adam (although we came to the consensus they dicked him up a little bit), GRANDPA, and then my favorite scene EVER involving a cover of Today by Smashing Pumpkins. The only thing I thought was that the FEELS I got for the romance in the book didn’t translate as well..you just didn’t feel the sweeping romance you do in the book. I think BECAUSE Adam and Mia are already in my hearts is why I FELT it but I think if you didn’t know them..it wouldn’t have as big an impact on screen because it was rushed.
6 Songs That Were Most Popular On My Ipod This Month:
** WITHOUT A DOUBT, T. Swift’s SHAKE IT OFF WAS MY MOST LISTENED TO SONG THIS MONTH. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. But it’s not on Spotify so I left it off since I use Spotify to display the songs**
1. Geronimo by Sheppard
2. #88 by Lo-Fang
3. Forget Me Knots by Heathers
4. I Will Be There by Odessa (which ended up being on the If I Stay soundtrack which I think is PERFECT!!!
5. The House by Air Traffic Control
6. Octopus by Carnival Youth
Honorable Mentions: Excuses by Run River North, When You Sleep by Mary Lambert, Slow Motion by PHOX, Four Walls by Broods (just released on 25th or else it probably would not be honorable mention but above), You Haunt Me by Sir Sly, Home by Johnnysmith, Hold The Line by Jack + Eliza
Top 3 Books I Read This Month:
I read 10 books this month which is a record for me this year!
1. After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid — OH MY GOD. This book. I’m so glad I read it as a married lady.
2. The Piper’s Son by Melina Marchetta — MARCHETTA. SHE IS BRILLIANT, MAN. This takes place 5 years after Saving Francesca and I LOVED THIS BOOK!
3. Toss up between I Was Here by Gayle Forman or Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas — CANNOT CHOOSE.
Most Popular Review This Month
Most Popular 5 Blog Posts Overall This Month
1. Ten Books I’m Not Sure I Want To Read For Various Reasons— This was FUN and helped me knock some books off my TBR list! Thanks guys for your insights of what to skip and what to read!
2. I Got The Message Loud & Clear: READING ISN’T COOL— Thanks for letting me share my experience! Wish so many of us didn’t have similar ones but other people had really GOOD experiences!!
3. Operation Make Myself Suck Less At Series: Still have to respond to comments on this one because I was super busy but YOU GUYS HELPED SO MUCH!!!
4. The Summer I Fell In Love With Fantasy Because Of ONE Series: I can’t wait to read more!! Also, thank for welcoming me to the club!
5. Ten Books That Have Been Recommended To Me A LOT But I Still Haven’t Read Yet : I’m actually really craving to read a classic after making this post! Going to make some time this Fall I think and you helped me prioritize!
What I’ve Been Up To On The Youtubes This Month:
I’ve been quiet on the Youtubes again this month. I did post a book haul yesterday….that was my end of July/early August haul. OOPS.
3 New Obsessions In August
2. The Tudors (tv show): I just started this show but I’m already obsessed. HATE THAT LIFE IS GETTING IN THE WAY OF WATCHING!
3 Things I’m Looking Forward To In September
Favorite Quote From A Book I Read In July
I had to pick two this time around because I COULD NOT PICK BETWEEN THESE TWO!!
From The Piper’s Son by Melina Marchetta — THIS PRETTY MUCH SUMS UP MY LIFE.
“I’m scared I’m going to spend the rest of my life in a state of yearning, regardless of where I am.”
From After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid — TRUTH. SO MUCH TRUTH. Something I’ve learned in the past couple years.
“Isn’t it nice … once you’ve outgrown the ideas of what life should be and you just enjoy what it is.”
5 Posts I Starred In My Reader That You Should Check Out
1. How To Be A Grown-Ass Woman: Friendships – As soon as I saw Sarah (the blogger who wrote this) tweet this out I was like OMG YES CLICK FAST GO. I have struggled with friendships since leaving college — I’ve grown apart from people because of geography, I’ve dropped toxic friends, being bad about maintaining some friendships and just had a hard time FINDING new friends as a grownup especially with some past hurts on my heart. This post was BRILLIANT and reminded me of some things I can do better.
2. The Magic of A Good Old Fashioned Summer: I LOVED THIS. As an adult I’m always talking about how summers were so much better as a kid and I can never put my finger on it except the fact that I had 3 months of NOTHING — no work, no school. Just play. Even though the summer is over I’m bookmarking this post for next summer and will think on what made SUMMER summer to me as a kid and try to incorporate more of this into summer.
4. When Everything Needs To Be Shared: Another interesting post for our social media, document-everything lives.
5. Things I Don’t Care About: I really loved this real talk. I’ve realized as an adult there are things I simply just don’t care about anymore — despite what society thinks or what past Jamie would think. MESSY HAIR DON’T CARE. LAUNDRY ON THE FLOOR WOO. CHIPPED NAIL POLISH THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN OFF A MONTH AGO. Also, this post makes me want to be more honest about those things I might still be pretending to care about.
Pick a category (or 5… or all of them) and tell me what went on in YOUR life this month!! What sort of things were noteworthy for you this month? New obsessions? Any new song recs?? Best books you read this month? Great posts I missed on your blog?