Top Ten Tuesday, as always, is hosted at my other blog — The Broke & the Bookish
This week’s topic: 10 things I like/dislike in romances in books
With Valentine’s Day coming up, what better time to talk about the things I love the MOST when it concerns romance in books. These things get me a-swoonin’ hardcore.
1. Banter: IS THERE NOTHING MORE DELIGHTFUL THAN SEXUAL TENSION LADEN BANTER?!? I love banter. It makes me giddy.The more banter the more I’ll be shipping it.
2. Slow burn romance: You can take your instalove and give me slow burn romance ANY DAY. Omg the tension. The longing. The intensification of all those FEELS. The OMG-I-CAN’T-TAKE-IT-ANYMORE-PLEASE-JUMP-EACH-OTHERS-BONES feeling. I love a good whirlwind romance when done right but the slow burn always lights my heart on fire.
3. The “I kind of hate you” turned “woah hey actually I WANT YOU”: Logan and Veronica anybody??? Also, I actually REALLY didn’t like Will when I first met him and now we are married all these years later so I have a soft spot. AND CAN WE JUST TALK ABOUT HOW I SWEAR IT IS EVEN BETTER WHEN THEY FINALLY GET TOGETHER?? SO MUCH PASSION.
4. The boy/girl next door or the “have known each other since we were wee ones” thang: Particularly if they are friends! I think of Lola and Cricket from Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins or Corey/Topanga from Boy Meets World. I love all that history they have. I think the reason I love this one so much is because throughout middle school and high school I had this weird “was never a romance but we always liked each other just not at the same time” thing with the boy across the street. It was kind of adorable when I think about all the flirting and hanging out that went on being neighbors/good friends but all that tension! We DID go to a homecoming dance together but that’s the furthest it went.
5. Opposites attract (also opposite side of the tracks): If there was ONE way to categorize mine and Will’s relationship is this. We are the most opposites ever and it just WORKS somehow. I love seeing it in books whether it is because she’s the prom queen and he’s the nerd or the live on different sides of the tracks…I’m all over it. I love watching people get past what they think makes them so different.
BONUS: OTPs that have to go through hell and back to finally be together!!! Because sometimes IT IS THAT HARD.
BRB I CANNOT CONTAIN ALL MY LoVE feeeeeeels.
So tell me…what are some things you LOVE in your romances?