Top Ten Tuesday, as always, is hosted at my other blog — The Broke & the Bookish
This week’s topic: Top Bookish Problems I Have In My Life
This list could have been easily a list of 50. I have many, many “problems” of the bookworm variety.
1. A TBR list longer than I can handle: I count my TBR list as the thing on Goodreads in which I add things I own/want to read/want to check out at some point. So it’s pretty MASSIVE. And it keeps growing and growing. You can learn more about my TBR list here. I’m so happy to have so many choices but pretty much HAVING such a huge TBR list means that I get overwhelmed by the “what to read next?” question because I HAVE TOO MANY OPTIONS and basically an indecision massacre happens every time. Jamie’s TBR: 1, Jamie: 0. You can read more on my recent musings about having too many choices.
2. Not enough shelf space: There are books on books on books. My shelves are overcrowded. I AM DROWNING IN BOOKS.There are piles that I try to discreetly hide. I’d LOVE to add more shelves but we’ve maxed out the space in this here one bedroom apartment.
3. I am the worst at quitting books I’m not into: I’ve talked about this extensively throughout this past ~5 years but I am not good at putting down books when I’m not digging. I’ve tried to be better at it and I HAVE come a long way compared to back in the day but MAN…I wish I was easily able to just make that decision. Related Reading: Reasons Why I Stink At Quitting Books
4. Being a mood reader is a pain in the ass sometimes: I’ve written about what it’s like to be a mood reader (the good, bad and the ugly!) but basically sometimes it is a pain because of meeting book club deadlines, not being able to choose what to read, library books I was excited about go back unread, I can’t keep a schedule, etc. etc.
5. A very small book budget at this season in my life: This is a money problem really. I JUST WANT TO BUY ALL THE BOOKS SOMEONE GIVE ME A MONEY TREE. Although, apparently I’m a reformed book buyer? But who knows what I’d be if I had a book buying money tree!
6. Being too addicted to the internet that I get distracted from my books: I’ve already admitted to being a VERY distracted reader these days thanks to my brain and technology. BUT REALLY. I would get far more reading done if I didn’t have all these DISTRACTIONS. I need to be better about focusing.
7. This beloved hobby makes my butt hurt too much sometimes: OKAY FOR REAL THOUGH? I know it’s absurd that I wrote a whole POST on this a couple years ago but both of my hobbies (reading and blogging) require a lot of time sitting on my ass. And SOMETIMES IT IS UNCOMFORTABLE. It’s VERY hard to find the right position that will sustain long-term reading.
8. Too short of a life span: SO MANY BOOKS, SO LITTLE TIME ON THIS EARTH. I need about 5 lifetimes (or more) to get through all the books I want to read!
9. Forgetting what happens in between series & also sucking at FINISHING series: Okay so this is two in one but I SUCK AT SERIES. I am the wooooorst at remembering what happens in between series. (THANK GOD FOR RECAPTAINS.) But I also am the worst at following through and finishing series…even series I really like. My list of series I haven’t finished is AWFUL (I’ve finished a couple since).
10. I always forget about the books on my Kindle: Out of sight, out of mind! I always go for the physical books when I pick what to read next and never think of all the poor books on my Kindle.
So tell me some of your bookish problems!