1. We had some issues with the pup: Early in November we noticed Finn having a limp (w/ no apparent pain or slowing down of activity) when he would run (well not a full run but when he would more so trot) and we took him to the vet, they put him on anti-inflammatory meds and then he was still limping so we took him back for x-rays (which saddest thing ever..he was crying for me and scratching to get to me when she led him out) and found out that he has hip dysplasia. She didn’t recommend surgery yet so I don’t think it’s awful yet but we have to give him supplements to help with his joints and really just monitor the limp/everything he’s doing. He doesn’t act like he’s in pain at all but he probably is a little bit. Hoping we follow the vet’s plans and that it never gets too bad. Feel so bad for the little guy 🙁
2. I saw Mockingjay Part 2 with my book club — I really enjoyed it!! I cried quite a bit, not going to lie. So bittersweet for this franchise to be over but I truly enjoyed these movies just as much as I enjoyed the books.
3. Will and I booked our trip to Madrid and London: SO SO SO SO excited to return to London (Will has never been though) and visit Madrid for the first time (plus visit some friends who recently moved there AND had a baby last week!!). If you’ve got recs for either of those cities of MUST DO’S/SEES/EATS/DRINKS let me have them! Also maybe some of your favorite books set in either place?
4. I had two separate dates with a new group of lady friends– I got to try two new local places — one for brunch and one for an Italian dinner and both times were so fun! It’s always so hard to make new friends at this age and I’m so happy to find people again who I click with. I’m looking forward to more shenanigans with them next month.
5. I started culling my “to read” list on Goodreads: It was out of control at around 1300 books — due to being on Goodreads since 2008 and also my habit to had ANYTHING that I am even remotely interested in or want to remember or want to check out to that list. It’s been a tedious process but I feel really good about taking a first stab at weeding out books I’m not interested in anymore — whether it’s that my interests are different than from when I added it years ago or trusted friends have all disliked it or I’m just not SUPER excited about it like I was when I added it (or some I’m like WHY THE HECK DID I ADD THIS?!). There still are probably way too many books on there…more than I’ll ever read..but it’s a start to get out the obvious ones I know I’ll never get to or am 100% not interested in anymore.
I put all my Monthly Rewinds in a Spotify playlist so you can listen to them here !
1. We Were Here — BOY
2. Arm’s Length — Kacy Hill
3. Avalanche — Kalle Mattson
4. Skin — Kyla La Grange
5. West Coast — Hey Marseilles
6. Into the Night — Madeline Juno
I read a total of 7 books this month — okay one was a dog training book but whatever.
1. Just Visiting by Dahlia Adler: What a great book about friendship! So excited for my upcoming book talk about this one!!
2. Passenger by Alexandra Bracken: This book reminded me how much I love time travel books!
3. Friday Never Leaving by Vikki Wakefield: AUSSIE YA WOOOO!
Not surprising since An Ember in Ashes was a huge hyped up book this year!
Ummm I really didn’t post much this month (I slow down a lot in November and December) so not much to wade through but here’s
1. The Tale of Two Warring Bookworms Within Me — Bookworm problems, man!
2. Recommendations Needs From YOU: It was nice to turn the tables and ask you all for book recs — in this case I was looking for comic books and graphic novels! AND BOY DID YOU ALL HELP. I am still wading through suggestions!! Thank you!
3. Ten Book To Movie Adaptions I Want To See: Already got to check Mockingjay off that list yay!
4. Whatcha In The Mood For? Happy to provide some recs for different moods! Hope you guys found some!
5. Beyond the Pages: Insecurities Then vs Now : It was nice to reflect on insecurities as a teen vs. now at 30 — “I think one of the things I’m learning about adulthood is that certain things that you experience as a young person don’t simply disappear as you get older…you just learn to deal with them differently/better and your tools for handling it are sharper. It could also be that you just simply run out of shits to give –you only have so much you can worry or care about and something has to give. ONLY A FINITE AMOUNT OF SHITS TO BE GIVEN.”
Any book talks honestly! I just want to talk about booooks with you all.
NOTHING. Will Jamie ever return? WE SHALL SEE. Maybe in the new year.
1. How To Hygge (or 29 Ways To Actually Enjoy Winter) – Winter is the pits for me, guys. I get sad that the sun is out. I get miserable that the cold air assaults me as I leave my apartment. I kick my car when the door gets frozen with ice. I just miss the nice weather. Sure I love snuggling in my blankets with some hot cocoa and a book but BLAH winter just gives me major blues. SOOO I will be trying this list and forcing myself to change my attitude towards winter!
2. Now What? 5 Steps To Figuring Out What You Want To Do Next When You Don’t Have A Goddamn Clue: I just entered my 30’s in October and I feel like I *AM* at this crossroads where I’m like I don’t know at all where I want to go next. I feel like certain doors are closing and I need to rally and make a new game plan for life. Going to try some of her tips!
3. 30 Simple Ways To Take Care of Yourself Over the Holidays: I’m already looking at my calendar for December and I’m half tempted to just go curl in bed until the month is over. I’m EXCITED for all my plans and things to do but also…wow lots of peopling and being on the go. Need to remember to take care of myself — particularly because the holidays always have the tendency of making me sad (without me even really being aware that’s what it is going on) because I miss my mom.
4. Smoky Maple Chipotle Brussel Sprouts: Hey don’t judge me…brussel sprouts are DELICIOUS, YO. And these look amazing and Will is totally going to make them for us. Maybe next month I’ll get back to sharing desserts or yummy drinks…but BRUSSEL SPROUTS.
5. No emojis necessary from Write Meg!: I’ve enjoyed Meg’s blog for years and this experience she shared with connecting with a friend IRL and her reflection of friendship in the age of social media.
1. All the Christmas parties: Will’s work Christmas party, family Christmas party, book club Christmas party, Christmas party with new lady friends. ALL THE CHRISTMAS PARTIES.
What book do you hope Santa brings you this year? And what NON-book item do you hope he brings you this year? (seriously though why can’t Santa be actually real though quite alarming to have someone slinking around your house when you sleep I suppose.)
Pick a category (or 5… or all of them) and tell me what went on in YOUR life this month!! What sort of things were noteworthy for you this month? New obsessions? Any new song recs?? Best books you read this month? Great posts I missed on your blog? Answer to my question of the month?