Looking for a good book to read but sick of stuffy, too serious reviews from a newspaper or some major publication that feel more like textbook reading with no personality? The Perpetual Page-Turner book blog just might be for you!
Simply put, The Perpetual Page-Turner is a book blog that has no boundaries. I read and review young adult literature of all genres, adult fiction (of most genres) and non-fiction –mostly travelogues and memoirs). This book blog isn’t a serious, literary criticism type of joint. Think of it as sitting down with a friend after reading a good book (with some margaritas and chips & guac) and just talking back and forth about a book. It’s conversational, there might be swooning, there might be CAPS LOCK, lots of !!!!! & angry keysmashing or I might pour my heart out to you. You will also find fun bookish posts, discussions about all things bookish and a smattering of personal posts and whatever my little heart desires.
THIS GIRL! I’m Jamie. I’m 28 and I’m on this never ending quest for good books, good music, good conversation, epic adventures, the perfect outfit… and I pretty much can’t sit still. I live in Philadelphia, am married, have a book club and LOVE being an aunt so much.
1. Will is my husband. I will refer to him often. He cooks for me (every meal…and cleans up *cough* worst wife ever *cough*). He puts up with my shenanigans like when I belly flop into bed, when I gchat him inappropriate things when we are sitting next to each other or when I get up randomly from the couch and have a spontaneous dance party in front of the tv where he is playing video games. He is NOT a reader (but that’s okay —> here’s why). He feels like soon we are going to have to remove furniture to make room for my books but he takes it in stride and will even go to bookish things with me, play bartender for book club and listen to me freak out about books even though he has no idea what I’m talking about. He’s a good egg mostly. True story: I hated him when I first met him in college, tried to hook him up with my sister and eventually was wooed even though we are complete opposites in many ways! I should write a book about this.
2. If I could just travel and read for a living I would be THE happiest person in the entire world. I have this insatiable desire to be everywhere I’m not. I try to combat this with books but, in the end, there is no substitute for a real adventure somewhere else in the world…putting your feet down somewhere you’ve never been and just experiencing culture and something new. Say it with me, WANDERLUST.
3. I’m the Queen of Car Dancing & Madame of the Mixtape. Music is life and I enjoy it in all the ways I possibly can — car dancing, lying in the grass with my headphones or standing in a crowd of sweaty people all experiencing the same show.
4. One of the reasons I love books is, because even though reading is a very solitary activity, it makes me feel closer to humanity. I feel like I get new slices of life, connect more to the human spirit, am able to THINK from different perspectives, etc. This is one of the main reasons I started this blog — to connect with other people who are reading and connecting to books. This is why I have many personal discussions here because I interact so much with my reading and connecting with people about books and life makes that experience even richer.
5. I am the ultimate procrastinator and a hopeless insomniac. Also, I suffer from Extreme Snooze Button Pushing.
YA Fiction– Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door, The Book Thief, If I Stay, Where She Went, The Perks of Being A Wallflower, Wither, and Please Ignore Vera Dietz.
Adult Fiction — Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, On the Road, The Bell Jar, Franny and Zooey, Love in the Time of Cholera, Pride and Prejudice, The Bird Sisters and Never Let Me Go.
Photo taken by Margot Wood (Anna and the French Kiss fauxto)
My goal with this blog is to create a place where I can talk to other insanely awesome bookish people about all the books I’ve read, books I’m excited to read, discuss all things bookish & more! I maintain an honest and conversational reviewing style. There aren’t any gimmicks here. I just like books and I like to talk about them and I LOVE hearing what you have to say…even if you don’t agree with me!
So if you’d like to follow the madness here that is The Perpetual Page-Turner, you may want to do one of these things:
- Add my blog to your RSS feed!
- Follow me on Twitter @brokeandbookish where I tweet about books, food, music, the general insanity of my life & more. I’m fun, I promise. And I’m quite chatty…so don’t be afraid to say hi!
- Like my page on Facebook .
- Join my sporadic vlogging adventures on Youtube
- Follow me on Instagram where I tweet pictures of books, food and sometimes my adorable nieces.