To learn more about why I started doing this Save The Date feature back in 2012 and how it differs from my reviews — go here!
* Release date according to Goodreads
Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
What Truthwitch is about:
“On a continent ruled by three empires, some are born with a “witchery”, a magical skill that sets them apart from others.
In the Witchlands, there are almost as many types of magic as there are ways to get in trouble—as two desperate young women know all too well.
Safiya is a Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lie. It’s a powerful magic that many would kill to have on their side, especially amongst the nobility to which Safi was born. So Safi must keep her gift hidden, lest she be used as a pawn in the struggle between empires.
Iseult, a Threadwitch, can see the invisible ties that bind and entangle the lives around her—but she cannot see the bonds that touch her own heart. Her unlikely friendship with Safi has taken her from life as an outcast into one of reckless adventure, where she is a cool, wary balance to Safi’s hotheaded impulsiveness.
Safi and Iseult just want to be free to live their own lives, but war is coming to the Witchlands. With the help of the cunning Prince Merik (a Windwitch and ship’s captain) and the hindrance of a Bloodwitch bent on revenge, the friends must fight emperors, princes, and mercenaries alike, who will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch.”
Why You Should Be Saving The Date for Truthwitch:
Oh my gosh! I have a feeling this is going to be the next big fantasy series! IT IS SO AMAZING. I started it IMMEDIATELY after I got back from BEA because I was so excited about it and OH MAN IT DELIVERED. I loved that I felt like it would be beloved by serious fantasy readers and newbs alike. I’m trying reaaaaally hard not to hype this up because hype can be so annoying when it comes to expectations but WHAT CAN YOU DO WHEN YOU MEGA LOVE SOMETHING SO MUCH AND THINK IT IS SO AMAZING?? I wanted to reread it immediately! BUT LIKE I ALSO WANT BOOK 2!!!
6 Reasons You Should Save The Date For/Pick Up Truthwitch If You Haven’t Already:
1. Compelling world & magic system: OH my goodness! All the different witcheries and magic! It’s so unique and absorbing. I loved learning more about it and loved how it was based within the elements. Windwitches, Truthwitches, Threadwitches, Bloodwitches and more — I LOVED learning about the various types. It took me a little bit to get my bearings with it all in the first 75 pages but once you do it’s like so absorbing and you will not want to come up for air.
2. Epic lady friendship & a bromance: Seriously the friendships in this book are legit. Safi & Iseult MAKE ME SO INEXPLICABLY HAPPY. And that bromance. It makes me weak in the knees.
3. Amazing characters you will love with your whole heart and not to mention some badass ladies: This book is overflowing with characters who will inspire you to be braver, kinder, courageous and to love genuinely and with all your heart. They are all so complicated and so well written and you will BELIEVE in their individual/shared journeys and their stories. And ummm badass ladies abound (badass physically and in a lot of other ways). Our two female protags are badass but there are some other ladies who are also around and make me want to become a badass in my daily life. So pretty much when I start back up running I’m going to just picture myself as one of these badass ladies running from the baddies.
4. HOLY ACTION, BATMAN: Action right out the gate even! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PUT IT DOWN. There were points while I was reading where I’d shoot straight up from my previous lounging position because sh*t got SERIOUS and my tension was visible. I know this because Will laughed at me a lot while I was reading this. Twists and turns and shocking moments! War and political maneuvering and death and magic! There are so many pieces to this plot and the way they come together is just EXCELLENT. I loved how each character is fighting for something and I love watching some of those things intersect but also clash at times. That tension is just palpable.
5. I’m just saying…Sooz knows how to do sexual tension: Romance was not the focus of this book because YOU KNOW possible wars/baddies chasing you/epic journeys are happening but OH MY STARS…there is some A+ sexual tension that made me consider writing some smutty fanfiction IMMEDIATELY. OH AND BANTER.
6. It made me want to reread immediately: I rarely reread these days so you know it’s some serious business when I wanted to reread immediately and even now, a couple months after, I am yearning to just reread. THAT is something special in my book that I can’t say happens much.
Who Should Save The Date: people who love epic fantasy and are looking for a new series to fall in love with!!! It’s magical!
Be on the lookout for my FULL review closer to the release date where I will flesh out my thoughts a little more with more specifics!
Have you read this one? Are you excited for it?? Putting it on your TBR list?