I’m excited to have Victoria Aveyard, author of one of the HOTTEST young adult releases of this season, on the blog with me today! Her book Red Queen came out this week surrounded with MUCH pre-publication buzz! Before you get to know Victoria a little bit through some fun top ten lists (which obviously I’m a big fan of) check out what Red Queen is about!
The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers. To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change. Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control. But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?
Get to know Victoria with a couple of fun top ten lists!
10 Bookish (or otherwise) Quotes That I Love, in no particular order:
1. “He’s got a two day head start on you, which is more than he needs. Brody’s got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he’ll blend in, disappear, you’ll never see him again. With any luck, he’s got the Grail already.” Cut to Brody in a marketplace: “Does anyone here speak English? Or even Ancient Greek?” – Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, my all-time favorite movie quote.
2. “Winter is coming.” – George RR Martin, A Game of Thrones (I could do all ASOIAF quotes for this but I won’t)
3. “And my sister, my Lindsey, left me in her memories, where I was meant to be.” – Alice Sebold, The Lovely Bones
4. “It was the drink that killed him.” “Oh, he was an alcoholic?” “No, he was hit by a Guinness truck.” – Mrs. Doubtfire
5. “Go then, there are other worlds than these.” – Stephen King, The Gunslinger
6. “In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.” – JRR Tolkien, The Hobbit
7. “I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again.” – JRR Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings (and all of LotR essentially)
8. “When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.” – George RR Martin, A Storm of Swords (had to sneak this one in)
9. “Never tell me the odds.” – The Empire Strikes Back
10. “P.S. Germany invaded Belgium an hour ago.” – Ken Follett, Fall of Giants
Honorable mention (because quotes are my life):
Chapter 8 of The Stand, Stephen King
the entirety of Home Alone written by John Hughes
The Indianapolis Speech, Jaws, Robert Shaw
“Well, can’t he just beam up?” “This is reality, Greg.” – ET, Melissa Mathison
10 Favorite Lines I Wrote In Red Queen
1. The truth is what I make it. I could set this world on fire and call it rain.
2. In school, we learned about the world before ours, about the angels and gods that lived in the sky, ruling the earth with kind and loving hands. Some say those are just stories, but I don’t believe that. The gods rule us still. They have come down from the stars. And they are no longer kind.
3. We destroy. It’s the constant of our kind. No matter the color of blood, man will always fall.
4. “Dear family, I am alive. Obviously.”
5. “From now until the end of your days, you must lie. Your life depends on it, little lightning girl.”
6. “They were a threat to my kingdom, and they were stupid,” he fires back. He stoops, bending over me with his twisted smile. “Were.”
7. Gold and silver and iron, dripping from his hands like tears.
8. When the sword flashes, arcing through air and flesh and bone, she doesn’t blink.
9. In the stories, the old fairy tales, a hero comes. But all my heroes are gone or dead. No one is coming for me.
10. “I have the advantage,” I tell his corpse.
10 Movies I Could Watch Forever
The Lord of the Rings
Pirates of the Caribbean
10 Things I Never Leave Home Without
Something to read
Keys (unless I forget, which is often)
Scarf or sweater
A mental plan and schedule for whatever I’m doing
Lipstick if I can remember
My rings (two family heirlooms, one gift to myself)
About The Author
Victoria Aveyard is a screenwriter/YA author who likes books and lists. Her book RED QUEEN will be published Winter 2015 from HarperTeen at HarperCollins. She’s repped by the incomparable Suzie Townsend at New Leaf Literary & Media, Inc. The genres she’s into include YA, Fantasy, Historical, Adventure, Apocalyptic – if people are dying, she’s buying. TWITTER | WEBSITE
One Winner will get Finished Copies of: RED QUEEN by Victoria Aveyard, THE LAST TIME WE SAY GOODBYE by Cynthia Hand and MY HEART AND OTHER BLACK HOLES by Jasmine Warga.
Ships in US only | Must be 13+ To enter