1. Will and I got a dog!!!: If you read last month’s recap or this post you know we had been looking to rescue a dog and some things fell through but OMG WE GOT A DOG AND HE IS PERFECT. His name is Finnikin (named from Finnikin of the Rock, Finn for short) and he’s so great — he’s fun and loves to play but also he is literally your perfect dog to nap next to you while you watch 7 hours of Game of Thrones (I’m not proud that happened. It was necessary though).
2. I barely read or blogged this month — No really, I read 2 books (plus parts of a dog book lol) which is the smallest amount I’ve read in a month in the past 5-6 years. And I’ve been pretty sparse here. It was half the fact we got Finn and we’ve been spending time with him and also half my binge watching seasons 2/3/most of 4 of Game of Thrones. I tried to blame my MIA-ness on solely the dog but I’m like lols okay maybe at first that was it but then the rest of the month the dog was my GoT watching buddy. I’m honestly happy I took some time off blogging and just the book community in general. I’m not a person who has to blog every day and I frequently take days off when I don’t feel like it but I don’t know…it was just a much needed break.
3. We took a trip up to my dad’s house that didn’t go so well: Finn LOVES other dogs — dogs at the dog park and dogs we see walking at our apartment complex or the walking trail we like so we didn’t think we’d have any issues with my dad’s new pup. BUUUUT they hated each other from the first second and it didn’t get any better so we ended up leaving early because it was so stressful to work to keep these dogs away from each other because they were going to kill each other. Was really bummed because I wanted to spend time up there but just too stressful and I didn’t want anyone to get hurt.
4. My stepdad got remarried– It was a really hard day (because of how we feel about her which is super complicated and also because it was just another reminder my mom is not alive…and her birthday fell on the wedding weekend) but we were supportive and tried to put on good faces (okay so some day drinking happened before the wedding to survive). The reception was really fun though and it was SOOOO nice to see family and family friends we hadn’t seen in a while.
5. I started to try running again but HAHAHA: I took Finn with me a couple times but mostly it was a fail. I really need to start running again because I’m doing a 5K on Thanksgiving and HAVE to do better than last time!! I’m suuuuch a self conscious runner which is part of the problem. The other problem is just that I hate running.
I put all my Monthly Rewinds in a Spotify playlist so you can listen to them here !
1. Night Vision — Transviolet
2. Tired Of Talking — LÈON
3. Take It Or Leave It — Great Good Fine Okay
4. Bad Blood – Ryan Adams (Tay’s 1989 is still way better to me but I’ve been digging Ryan Adam’s interpretation of her songs!)
5. Shine A Light — Banners
6. Weak – Wet
I only actually READ 2 books this month so I’ll just share what I read!
1. The Status Of All Things by Liz Fenton: Liked this one — interesting look at social media and also marriage!
2. All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr: This was as good as everyone said it was!!!
My spoiler-tastic (all spoilers are marked so have no fears!) discussion of one of my most anticipated books — Queen of Shadows!
“Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever.” — All The Light We Cannot See
I loved this sentence so much. NEW MANTRA.
Heh well since I didn’t blog very much this month I didn’t have that much going on but here are a few good posts:
1. Exciting Thing Is Exciting — My Finn story!!
2. Ten series I need to finish: This was fun to go through my series that I need to finish (which is a lot because I’m awful at finishing series) and I LOVED your feedback about which ones I definitely should get to.
3. Ten Quotes I Loved From Books I Read This Year: Yay quotes!
4. Books To Read If You Like These Super Popular Books/Authors: Nice to give maybe less well known readalikes for popular books!
5. Books I’m Planning To Read This Fall : My Fall TBR has not gone so well clearly with only reading 2 books this month!
1. Why Snapchat Matters – I have been loooooving Snapchat so much in these past couple months! Such a fun way to add content in a VERY different way than other places I am on the interwebs. A more behind the scenes way where I don’t have to proofread or use a filter or have a perfect picture or even feel pressured to do ANYTHING other than add stuff. SO STRESS FREE. I’m brokeandbookish if you are on there.
2. Let’s Stop Pretending It’s “SO EASY” To Be Healthy: Love this!! I would say I eat healthy about 80% of the time and I *try* to work out and be active but it is a struggle every day. Not easy but worth it. I just wanted to slow clap reading this.
3. No Regrets: I read this in the midst of my lack of blogging this month and I was like YEP this is exactly how I feel. NO REGRETS. I love blogging but sometimes I push myself to devote more time to it than I truly know I want to. It’s not like I FEEL like I have to but sometimes I feel this pressure, in addition to writing posts and stuff, like I have to reply to ALL the things and I have to comment on other blogs or keep up enough on Twitter or people will think I’m rude. I’m not. AT ALL. I want to community-oriented and appreciative to my readers…but I also want to have a life outside this computer and this online world. It’s a hard balance to find for me — being part of the community in the way that I want to but also not spending MORE time than I want to devote to this. It’s only a sliver of my life and sometimes I think I give it too much of my time. I’ve definitely reevaluated my Twitter usage and I have zero regrets about spending less time. Just need to find a time allotment to this hobby that makes me happy and makes me have NO REGRETS.
4. How To Love Your Work….Even When You Don’t Love Your Work: I feel like I have struggled with this a lot so definitely keeping these tips!
5. Why Experience Still Matters: Found this really interesting and mirroring some of my own thoughts lately.
1. My birthday: Soooo I am half looking forward to it and half not. I’m turning 30. I’m having a slight breakdown about this even though logically I know it’s just a number but OMG I AM GOING TO BE 30. I feel like I enjoyed my 20’s as up and down as they were. I KNOW 30 IS NOT OLD BUT I ALWAYS THOUGHT WHEN I WAS 30 I WOULD BE A LEGIT ADULT.
What’s your favorite thing about Fall? Also, do you like to read certain types of books or *a* certain book in the fall?
Pick a category (or 5… or all of them) and tell me what went on in YOUR life this month!! What sort of things were noteworthy for you this month? New obsessions? Any new song recs?? Best books you read this month? Great posts I missed on your blog? Answer to my question of the month?