1. Will and I started looking for a dog: One day I’m just like LET’S JUST GO VISIT THE PUPPIES and the next day we are seriously looking for one. We put in an application for a 3 month old Staffordshire puppy at the shelter and then they called our leasing office (we thought the dog met the weight requirements and all) and they denied us and said we couldn’t have a Staffordshire because of breed restrictions and apparently they have some pit bull blood in them. I was so upset. We loved this dog. He was so sweet. I think breed restrictions are such crap and of course all the sweet dogs we fall in love with are that breed. So we are still looking..hoping we will find a dog to come home with us!
2. Will and I celebrated 3 years of marriage — I can’t believe it’s been 3 years but also it feels like we’ve been married way longer because we’ve been together since January 2007. We ate in Center City at one of our favorite places and indulged in donuts and ice cream and just generally walked around enjoying the beautiful weather.
3. We saw Matt and Kim, Atlas Genius, Saint Motel and Wolf Alice.: Another fun concert series!!
4. We tried a new local brewery– We went to a brewery that is basically right in our backyard (Conshhocken Brewery) and we loved it! I can’t believe it took us this long to go. It was really cool though because a bike trail is right behind it and soooo many people riding on the trail would stop for beers. MY KIND OF PEOPLE. Exercise followed by beer.
5. Will and I are starting the process of looking at houses: We are in the very very early looking stages and starting to figure out our range, what we want/where we want and need to inquire about loans and mortgages and all that crap BUT it’s starting. Any tips are welcome!!!
I put all my Monthly Rewinds in a Spotify playlist so you can listen to them here !
1. Alive Tonight — Grace Potter (super super love her stuff she does as Grace Potter and the Nocturnals but loving this new stuff!)
2. Deadwater — Wet
3. Never Ending Circles — CHVRCHES
4. Colors — Halsey (you know I’ve been obsessed with Halsey for awhile…MOAR MOAR MOAR PLS I JUST WANT MOAR)
5. Drive — Oh Wonder
6. Falling Faster — Andrew Ripp
I read 8 book this month!
1. The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler — I really enjoyed this one so much which made me happy because I’ve enjoyed this author’s past books but didn’t have good success with her most recent one before this.
2. Happiness For Beginners by Katherine Center: I read this book at just the right time when I needed to! It’s an adult fiction book and I highly recommend.
3. Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas: Best book I read all month and probably all year to be honest. Everything I had been hoping for and more.
“When one dream burns to ash, you don’t crumble beneath it. You get on your hands and knees, and you sift through those ashes until you find the very last ember, the very last spark. Then you breathe. You breathe. You fucking breathe. And you make a new fire.” — The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler
I loved this and it is kind of my new mantra when things aren’t working out.
1. Perception, Reality & Our Super Reader Community — I really really loved hearing your thoughts on this!! It was also really nice to hear from authors on Twitter and for them to (sadly) confirm a lot of what I’ve been thinking.
2. If We Were Having Coffee: Love getting to catch up with you guys!!
3. Retail Therapy: In Need of Cute Mugs: OMG I AM GOING MUG CRAZY.
4. Aussie YA 101: I love talking about the Australian books I love and I’m glad so many of you found recs!
5. Authors On My Auto-Buy list: I’ve realized I have a lot of auto-buy authors…good thing they don’t all publish books at the same time!! EEP.
My Whatcha In The Mood For? post! The first one of these I ever did got a lot of great feedback and I LOVED that people were posting their own recommendations for the categories because I thought it might be helpful! But each month it’s gotten less and less and this month was really sad! I LOVE doing these posts so I won’t stop but I really was hopeful it could be interactive where people could help others out with recommendations in the comments as well.
I actually DID get my butt in gear this month! I filmed a video about what I’ve been reading, a tag video and a book haul (which you can also find here if you don’t do videos).
1. Why I Do Not Use Social Media Anymore – I thought this was interesting! While I definitely am not to the point where I want to give it up, because it DOES (well Twitter at least) add to my life in positive ways, I have cut back A LOT for the same reasons she talks about. Social media is great but I’ve realized being on it as much as I used to is not how I want to spend my days. I also loved her post The Phone People…something I’ve noticed before as well and found equally as distressing.
2. The Answer To Where Do You Get Your Time: Love this! I feel like people ask me a lot about where I get the time to read so much as well as blog about it and this is how I feel, too!
3. Slow Cooker Mango Salsa Chicken Burritos: Made them since bookmarking that post and YUM. And YES….Will cooks 99% of the time but your girl actuaaaaally made these. Heh well the slow cooker did but DETAILS.
4. 32 and growing up; what I know so far: I really enjoy this blog and I just liked the lessons she shared and found myself really agreeing with them as I’m approaching 30 this fall.
5. Why I Scrapped My Bucket List: I am a big fan of the bucket list but I REALLY liked this post. I liked her question: “If I truly only had 6-12 months left of my life, how do I want to spend that time? What could I realistically achieve in that time, that I would totally regret not doing? If I had one wild, final fling with life, how could I life it to the fullest?”
1. The last block party concert of the year: Panic! At the Disco, Joywave, The Wombats, The Front Bottoms + Good Old War.
Favorite memory you made this summer?
Pick a category (or 5… or all of them) and tell me what went on in YOUR life this month!! What sort of things were noteworthy for you this month? New obsessions? Any new song recs?? Best books you read this month? Great posts I missed on your blog? Answer to my question of the month?