Top Ten Tuesday, as always, is hosted at my other blog — The Broke & the Bookish
This week’s topic: Top Ten Underrated Authors/Books in X Genre
I chose a genre near and dear to my heart that I see myself as pretty well read in — contemporary YA. Yeah no surprise to my regular readers right? Now some of these authors might be popular here in the book blogosphere but I realize how many AMAZING authors don’t get nearly enough recognition. I love sooo many of the super well known authors and think they are so deserving of the attention but here are 10 authors that I think should be WAY more well known than they are.
* I tried to pick authors that have had books out for a while rather than some underrated new-ish authors which I have SO many of those!!
1) Jessi Kirby: NO SERIOUSLY. How is she not more popular?!? Her books are so awesome and perfect for Sarah Dessen fans! In order of my love for them: Golden (this book!!), Moonglass and In Honor. Seriously, I am DYING for her next book to come out next year and I just can’t comprehend how she isn’t more well known. A definite favorite author of mine!!
2. Corrine Jackson: If there was ever a gem I read this year…Corrine’s book If I Lie was definitely it!
3. Trish Doller: Trish is certainly popular here in the book blogging world but I won’t be satisfied until she becomes a household name!! She is one of my FAVORITE authors and you need to read Something Like Normal and Where The Stars Still Shine — both of which made me cry and were 5 stars reads for me.
4. Laura Buzo: Okay, so she’s an Aussie author and her one novels that I liked (Holier Than Thou) isn’t even published here but you should know about here in America. Her book Love & Other Perishable Items (also know as Good Oil in Australia) is PHENOMENAL. Very very character driven book and not a huge plot but I loved it SO MUCH.
5. Leila Sales: I haven’t yet read Leila’s other books (PLANNING ON IT BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE I TRUST LOVE THEM) but based on This Song Will Save Your Life…I don’t know WHY she isn’t more popular. One of my favorite books of last year and one of my favorite contemporary books ever!
6. Courtney Summers: No seriously she is brilliant…the world needs to know her more than they do now! Also, love following her on Twitter.
7. Sarah Ockler: Her book, Twenty Boy Summer, got major buzz because of some people trying to ban it but she’s such a solid writer in the contemporary YA space that I’d really like to see her other books get more recognition especially The Book of Broken Hearts.
8. Robin Benway: I’ve made it my mission to get everyone to read Audrey, Wait (it seriously made me create a WTF-why-is-this-not-more-popular shelf on Goodreads). It’s hilarious and fun! And her new series (first book: Also Known As) is really fun, too! Robin Benway is one of the only authors to make me laugh as hard as I did when I read Megan McCafferty’s Jessica Darling series!
9. Daisy Whitney: Her book When You Were Here was brilliant and did NOT get nearly the attention it deserved! Very emotional and beautiful book! And I have her other book The Mockingbirds on my shelf which got rave reviews from people I trust when it came out!
10. Siobhan Vivian: Whether it’s her contemporary books or her series she co-writes with Jenny Han…Siobhan Vivian deserves WAY more attention. Not That Kind Of Girl is a book I want to give every teenage girl!