Hunger Games Hangover

Lately I’ve had a lot of friends, knowing that I’m a book nerd and that I read and loved the series long before the talk of the movie, who have been asking me what to read next after The Hunger Games.

I’m thrilled that, even though they may have only heard about the books because of the movie, that they are looking for books like The Hunger Games! It gives me hope that since I had recommended the Hunger Games to many of them years ago that maybe they will trust my recommendations about books in general and start branching out and reading from other genres as well!

For now, I’m going to share the same list that I compiled for a friend of books that one might like if they just read The Hunger Games and want to venture even more into the world of YA dystopian novels (and then of course then check out some of my other book reviews/recommendations for other type of books to read).

Please feel free to list some in the comments if I haven’t mentioned them!

Divergent by Veronica Roth
- Delirium by Lauren Oliver
- Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
- Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
- Matched by Ally Condie
- Enclave by Ann Aguirre
- Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

*Note: I’m not comparing these books to The Hunger Games or saying they are “readalikes” or anything…just some books that you might want to give a try if you started reading The Hunger Games because of the movie and don’t know where to go from there! ALSO, most of these ARE young adult books.

If you are looking for adult fiction books: read The Handmaid’s Tale by  Margaret Atwood, The Road by Cormac McCarthy (post apocalyptic), Battle Royale by Kouhun Takami, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley & 1984 by George Orwell. I read adult fiction but I have yet to find too many dystopian novels besides some of the classics. Would LOVE some recommendations!!

Comments

1. Just bookmarked some of these books. GREAT list!

• You could read Ender’s Game before the movie comes out….

• yes! I was going to suggest Ender’s Game. GREAT dystopian novel, and I honestly doubt the movie will be able to compare. =\

• I was going to suggest Ender’s Game as well. Ender’s Shadow is also extremely good– it follows a different character.

• There is going to be an Ender’s Game movie? Do NOT toy with my emotions here. LOVE that book. As a fan of Ender’s Game you might consider reading the Nicholas Seafort series (Midshipman’s Hope is the 1st), by David Feintuch. They are both based on the Horatio Hornblower series originally written in 1937 (had to look it up:) by C.S. Forester; very good books. What can I say, I am a sucker for guy with integrity that has to overcome insane odds. Of note: The tv series about Horatio Hornblower is wonderfully worth the watch. For Real? About Ender’s Game?

2. Thank you! Glad you found it helpful! :)

3. Forever Lost in Books says:

Isn't it UNDER the Never Sky? Also, GIVER is great :D And Shatter Me :D

4. Oops good catch! I should have reread the list when I was writing it up for my friend lol. YES..The Giver is one of my all time fave books. I read it about a billion times as a child.

• The Lois Lowry Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger are my favorite books of all time next to HP and Hunger Games of course!

• Love all of these, Bess!!! Another good set is “Oryx and Crake” and “The Year of The Flood” (MaddAddam Trilogy, Margaret Atwood). Those are particularly good because they occur concurrently, so you can read them in any order, or at the same time… the last one hasn’t come out yet though. Another good (but relatively short) one is The Last Book in the Universe by Rodman Philbrick.

• LOVE the MaddAdam Trilogy (well OK, anything by Margaret Atwood)…have we heard when the third is coming out yet?

This list is all right. I’ve read quite a few. Some I really enjoyed, some left me disappointed. Even for YA, some of the writing is too boring & easy, and the storyline isn’t intriguing enough to compensate. Maybe it’s just that I’m older.

• Sara Lynette Thetford says:

Jamie, I just finished one called Enclave by Aguirrre that I really liked a lot.

5. Sara (The Page Sage) says:

I'm so glad The Maze Runner is on here! I would definitely add Starters by Lissa Price to this list!

• I LOVED the Maze Runner, a friend of mine got me hooked, :) and Starters was amazing too, I can’t wait till Enders comes out! :)

6. Christina Booktasty says:

Good list! I agree they're good titles to point people to :D

7. Kyle @ A Reader's Pensieve says:

Birthmarked and Prized by Caragh M. O'Brien are great dystopians as well! I feel like they don't get the recognition (I think) they deserve. Great list! :)

8. Kyle @ A Reader's Pensieve says:

Birthmarked and Prized by Caragh M. O'Brien are also great dystopians that I have really enjoyed. Good list! :)

9. Anonymous says:

You sound snobbish in everything you said. "I read them long before the movie"…and "I recommended Hunger Games many years ago". Bet your favorite phrase is " I told you so".

• anonymous says:

don’t be so jeally.

• Becky C. says:

Unecessary rudeness. Perhaps we should recommend a book on manners for you.

• Why do you feel the need to post that? So unnecessary. Such a great example you’re setting there, keep it up and see how far it gets you.

• Huh? Why did you find it necessary to post your thought? I appreciate this list. If you don’t, then just exit and don’t come back.

• SillieJilly says:

I didn’t find her to be snobby at all, more like bubbly, cheerful and extremely thoughtful sharing her likes and passion for books with others. In MY opinion, you’re the snob!

10. Awesome list — so glad to see Unwind on there! Definitely one of the best dystopians I've ever read. I'd also add the Chemical Garden Trilogy (Wither, Fever and ?) by Lauren DeStefano. I'm halfway through the second one at the moment and it's soooooo good!

• heather w says:

so good im about 80% done with fever and i love them!

• Unwind is awesome! I devoured his other books too >< even better the skin jacker trilogy, epic. Just learned unwound is a trilogy, I read the second book in a day.. The third one is coming out YAY!

11. Anonymous says:

There's always the Ender's Saga by Orson Scott Card.

• So glad you added this one to the list! I was sad to see it missing.

• Yes!! The movie is coming out next March!

• Sara Lynette Thetford says:

Yea! I didn’t know there was a movie coming out. I need to get extra copies in the library because when a movie’s coming out the kids go crazy reading the book! Thanks for the information.

• Completely agree… I ADORE the Ender’s saga. I had to read Ender’s Game in my college Science Fiction literature class and fell in love.. I had no idea I even liked that genre… now I’m addicted and loved The Hunger Games. I could read the series 5 more times and not be mad at all about it! Thanks for the list! Definitely will be checking it out!

12. Nah..more so I'm really excited that they are coming to me asking for books to read so I send them off with a pile of books to read :)

13. and honestly…I DID read them long ago…that's just a fact.

14. Christina T says:

Great list! I hope your friends will try some of them out. It is fantastic that the Hunger Games movie inspires people to read the books and other great YA dystopian fiction. At my library we have adults clamoring for the books now and there are hundreds on the waiting list. I am even buying them in large print! I'll have to keep your suggestions in mind when patrons come asking for more.

15. That's so awesome!! I love that it is turning more people on to reading. I saw the same thing happen with Twilight. My sister, who NEVER read before then, started reading after we saw the first movie.

So far my friends read Legend off my list and they all have loved it so far! Here's to hoping they like some of the others!

• brittany says:

It was the same thing with my cousin she hated reading and i read twilight way before the movie was even thought about. When she saw the movie i told her i wasn’t going to tell her what happened in New Moon and she’d have to read the books to find out. Now she’s a book addict like me!! haha

16. Lisa [is Busy Nerding] says:

This is SUCH a great idea. And YAY for mentioning The Knife of Never Letting Go! Hooray!

17. Love this list & the suggestions from other people as well! I've read a few off the list & most were already on my TBR list, but I added the ones that weren't!

Thanks for this! = )

18. Daniel Martin says:

How about The Roar by Emma Clayton?

19. Daniel Martin says:

How about The Roar by Emma Clayton?

20. Anonymous says:

FANTASTIC series. Omg.

21. Anonymous says:

the long walk by stephen king -short story

22. Oh, that last comment just reminded me that my husband told me that Stephen King also has a story called The Running Man (?), which is apparently a more adult rendition of The Hunger Games. He says that the Hunger Games copied the King story, but made it more accessible for teens.

And, in response to Anonymous (the earlier one), there's nothing snobbish about having read a book long before it becomes "cool" — in fact, I always think it's pretty neat when something that you'd read ages ago all of a sudden goes viral. It means people are READING, and isn't that always a wonderful thing?!?

• The Running Man was a great read. SK wrote several books under a pen name and this was one of them.
      It IS fun when your friends start reading something you read “long ago”. I read the Twilight series before it exploded and the Hunger Games series as well. Of course, as a 40 something… that isn’t much of an accomplishment eh?
      happy reading
      kari

23. Anonymous says:

handmaids tale, orxy and crake both by Margaret Atwood

24. Jasmine Rose says:

I suggested Divergent to someone though it was unsolicited :P

25. The Sweet Life says:

Good to know!!! I just downloaded and started divergent about an hour ago! :). Thanks for the recommendations!!!

26. Anonymous says:

The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield is a great series. It almost seems that Hunger Games could have followed this series in terms of the development of the Districts. I recommend it to anyone that LOVES the Hunger Games!

27. Megan Ann says:

I read The Hunger Games years ago as well, and when I tried to tell my friends what it was about, they looked at me like I was crazy. Now it has become a huge thing and they have all read it.. All I can do is roll my eyes at them.
    Thanks for the recommendations! I've been looking for something good to read recently, and this helps a lot!

• heather w says:

haha i was so one of those! when friends told me about it it just didnt seem like something i would be interested in. finally everyone was going all crazy and i just had to figure out what on earth made this series so crazy! and i of course was hooked!

28. The Adoration of Jenna Fox (first in a series). Seconding the Uglies series. Also the Gone series is so fabulous. And the Skinned series.

29. Anonymous says:

This is what I was going ro recommend – The Uglies, The Pretties, and the Specials – I read before the Hunger Games, and loved both!!!

30. Great List!
    Also I read The Knife of Never Letting Go and loved it!

31. Granola Girl says:

The Giver is now a series of 3…the other two are just as fabulous. Gathering Blue and Messenger are the other two.

• There is actually and fourth, and final, book in the “series”. I put that in quotes because they are only loosely related to one another and have different main characters. You can read all of them on their own just fine. The last one is called Son by Lois Lowry. Enjoyed your list!

32. Happy Go Lucky says:

The Night Circus is incredible!

33. Anonymous says:

Incarceron is another fantastic book that would fit this list.

34. Kelsey@TheLostBookReports says:

I like how the person kept themselves Anonymous…

35. Thanks for the great list! Added a bunch of these to my Goodreads lists.

36. Anonymous says:

Wings by Aprilynne Pike is good!!

37. Magan @ Rather Be Reading says:

Awesome list, Jamie! I'm about to tweet and facebook this because so many people are craving more like the Hunger Games. I've read quite a few of the books you included, and overall just really love dystopias. SO. GOOD. :)

38. Matched is great – it reminded me a lot of The Giver. I think there is going to be a series; I don't know if the second book is out yet but I'll be excited to read it.

39. The second book actually came out in November and it's called Crossed! And I totally love The Giver. SO SO MUCH.

40. Thanks Magan!! Appreciated <3

41. Haven't yet read that one but another friend of mine really loves her books! Will have to check them out!

42. No problem! Hope you enjoy them! :)

43. I've heard amazing things about that book! Will need to read that one soon! Thanks for mentioning it!

44. I've had that book on my list since it came out and have YET to read it. I AM THE WORST. I've heard amazing things though. Should get to that sooner rather than later!

45. I had soo many people telling me how good it was and finally had to cave and go read it! Thanks for stopping by!

46. I've heard amazing things about Jenna Fox. I MUST get that from my library soon! Thanks for the recs! I'm finding so many new ones to read from all the comments!

47. Thanks a bunch for the list. I work at a library and even though I love to read I can't read everything! These suggestions will help me.

• Melony Healy says:

Me too. I am a middle school librarian and have several of these series’ mentioned and am glad to have the suggestion of others to order. THANX!!!

48. Hahah that was the same reaction my friends gave me! "WHY would I want to read a book about teens killing themselves?" But now they are all like, "I don't know why I didn't listen to you forever ago!" I'm hoping that maybe they'll start asking me for more recs! :)

49. Oh- I found this post via Pinterest

50. You know..I read Uglies like 4 or 5 years ago and just could NOT get into it. BUT I think it's also because I wasn't sure how much I liked YA fiction as an adult. lol. So I think I was being a little snobby about it. I think I'm going to give it another chance!!

51. No problem!! Hope you love it!! :)

52. Sara — I got Starters in the mail and reallyyy need to get to it! I've heard nothing but praise so far! Thanks for reminding me!

53. Thanks Christina! After having a few friends ask, I figured I might as well share the list for others who aren't so immersed in the book world as we bloggers can be! I remember how hard it was to find books similar to ones I liked before blogging and Goodreads (which was what introduced me to bloggers).

54. I haven't even heard of those! Will def be checking those out. I love reading books that are gems and deserve more recognition!

55. YES. I meant to put Wither on there! ONE OF MY FAVE SERIES EVER! Fever was so stinking good!!

56. I have yet to read that series and have heard nothing but amazing things!

57. Thanks Lisa!!

58. Thanks Andrea! I agree..I've been loving the recs from commenters! I've added a few books to my TBR list already!

59. I've never heard of that one! Will be going to check it out! Thanks for the rec!

60. I DO love me some Stephen! Thanks for the suggestion. I don't read enough short stories. I think the last book of short stories I read was from Ray Bradbury.

61. Hmm I'll have to check out The Running Man! You have piqued my interest for sure!

And thanks Melissa — I wasn't try to be snobbish at all (although I totally am when it comes to music and I try SO HARD not to be) but reading it just makes me so happy that something I love goes viral. And I've had a few friends even say, "Isn't that the book series you recommended a while ago to me?" But it's great because now they've been asking me for more! I'm always about sharing the book love!

• Sorry, I know this is old, but I saw it on pinterest. The Running Man was one of the first movies I remember Arnold Schwarzenegger in….classic. I love this list by the way. I’ve added so many ‘to-read’s to my Goodreads list. Trying to decide where to start!

62. LOVE Margaret Atwood — her work and her as a person. Good suggestion!

63. No problem! I'm so jealous of your profession, btw! :P Hope this list helps supplement what you already recommend to people! Thanks for stopping by! :)

64. Oh Pinterest..how I love thee! <33

65. Have you read Robopocalypse? Also I'm curious as to what you thought about The Passage? I felt like it dragged on in the middle.

PS Your name rocks!

66. Genevieve Deits says:

That was exactly what I was going to suggest. You should definetly read the Ender's Sage as well as any other series by Orson Scott Card, they are all amazing!

67. Anonymous says:

Delirium series is excellent! The second book just came out. I may love them more than The Hunger Games…

68. Anonymous says:

I just read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, pretty good, Tiger Curse Series was ok. I loved the Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater (sp?) So many good YA books out there now. Discovery of Witches was pretty good. I hate having to wait for the next book to come out…

69. Stephanie G. says:

Lauren DeStafano is writing a dystopian triology. The first is called Wither, the second is called Fever, and third hasn't been released yet. I've only read the first, just started the second. They're no Hunger Games but they're an enjoyable read.

70. Anonymous says:

The Running Man – read it for context, it was far ahead of its time.
    The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Nice List – thank you

71. aspanoudis says:

matched is really good. Good suggestion!

72. Distopian adult read: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

• This book creeped me out in a big way. It was excellent but I just kept thinking how real it seemed and how ‘nearly’ it could be! I loved it but hated it, if you get what I mean:)

73. Anonymous says:

The Night Circus is just spedtacular, the imagery in it was amazing.

74. Anonymous says:

snobbish never crossed my mind. the first book did come out a few years ago which i would describe as a long time ago.

75. HOW did I forget that one!? I just reviewed it last year! lol Thanks for suggesting that one!

76. Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland is worth reading (adult fiction), as well as Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

77. Anonymous says:

The Wool Series by Hugh Howey (there are five, and they can be bought together in "The Wool Omnibus"). They're post-apocalyptic adolescent lit, and the number one on Kindle Fiction right now.

78. Life with a Van says:

I'm a big fan of this series and couldn't help but do some comparisons when reading the hunger games trilogy.

79. These are great suggestions – I've read Delirium (and Pandemonium) and liked them both. I also saw that someone recommended Birthmarked – that's one of my favorites as well. I'd also like to suggest Poison Study (and Magic/Fire Study) to the list. They are really good!

80. Anonymous says:

There's a new book by the name of Eleftheria that's VERY captivating. Definitely one you cant put down. And I hear the second one is in the works for next year. I say get this one first!

Eleftheria by Jade DeKelaita
    Barnes and noble and amazon have it online.

81. Not sure if anyone suggested it yet but Anthem ny Ayn Rand is another really good young adult book

82. I would surely add Graceling by Kristen Cashore, and it's companion book Fire to this list… I'm a huge Hunger Games fan and I have specific loaner copies of the book that I give out to friends so they can read them… Doesn't it feel great to share amazing stories with other people?? :)

83. Yep! Same here! I think Hunger Games is just one of those books where the story is really difficult to do justice to if you're trying to summarize it. But, the friends who DID take my advice and read the books certainly were glad they did. :)

84. Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan is the first in what I believe is supposed to be a trilogy (Sky Chasers), I really enjoyed it!

85. Anonymous says:

What about the Mortal Instruments (1st of series is City of Bones)by Cassandra Clare? I could not stop reading them.

86. Definitely read Ender's Game, then go to Ender's Shadow and the other Shadow books and then read Speaker for the Dead, it's 2,000 years later so the story barely has anything to do with the characters in Ender's Game.

87. librarian4 says:

Ember City by Jeanne DuPrau and the house of the scorpion by Nancy farmer

88. the last song by Nicholas Sparks and My sister's keeper by Jodi Picoult both amazing! I also did a blog post on my favorite books http://skyeslife.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/the-greatest-books-of-all-time-at-least-in-my-opinion/

89. The Brightly Colored Misfit says:

That's not snobbish, it's just a fact. Book nerds often read things before they become mainstream, it doesn't mean we are trying to rub it in our friends faces.

90. Anonymous says:

HUGE fan of Birthmarked! I would highly recommend it!

91. Lauren Michelle says:

The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld is really good and YA dystopian. Thanks for the list!

92. Thanks for this.
    I would add this Young Adult Novel -
    GLOW by Amy Kathleen Ryan

93. Anonymous says:

Ugh I read all three. They're well enough written but…. I just didn't like them very much. Felt the need to see the series through, though, so that's something.

94. Anonymous says:

Divergent is spectacular. I'm trying to lend it to as many people as I can to get the word out about it! Delirium…not one of my favorites. It was hard to get through.

95. the hollie rogue says:

i read Delirium and loved it! thanks for sharing this great list.

96. Great list! I would like to add one to the list.

Downburst by Katie Robison

It was published independently, so not a lot of people have heard of it, but it is a fantastic book. Also Young Adult fiction.

97. I second this!!! If I hadn't seen it in the comments I would have said something. Birthmarked was something random I picked up last summer and was bummed to find out I had to wait for the other books to come out. HAHAHA

98. Anonymous says:

Life as We Know it has follow up books now C:

99. The Tripod Trilogy series by John Christopher is also excellent. It was published in the 1980's, but it is a timeless story with tons of adventure. The three books are The White Mountains, The City Of Gold and Lead, and The Pool of Fire. I read them as a kid and then as an adult and appreciated them all the more.

• Cheryl Sammons says:

I remember those books well! I had forgotton who wrote them, but I remember vividly ‘the tripods’. Big brother was watching over us before Orwells “1984”. Thank you for sharing them and jarring my memory. I was in 7th grade when I read these. That would make it 1969. I was 12. Very good read!

• Jenn Cartwright says:

Yes! That was my first taste of a world gone awry. I read the first two in grade school and found the third as an adult helping my kids find books. I picked up all three and read them, thankful to finally finish the series!

100. Anonymous says:

You should add "A Discovery of Witches" to that list!!! AMAZING read!! And the sequel is coming out in JUNE!!!!!!!

101. MaryAshlyn says:

Scott Westerfield's "Uglies" trilogy is another great series I would recommend! The books are "Uglies," "Pretties," and "Specials." There is also a fourth book – "Extras" – that I wouldn't say is really a part of the trilogy but definitely continues the storyline. They're all great books, but easy reads!

102. Megan Brenner says:

Consider checking out Violet Eyes (http://www.amazon.com/Violet-Eyes-Nicole-Luiken/dp/0743400771) I remember reading it in middle school and loving it.

103. Not sure if you mentioned "The Daughter of Smoke and Bone" by Liam Taylor or "Cinder" by Marissa Meyer. Not so explicity dystopian fiction, but both a action packed page turners with strong female protaganists.

Great list! Thanks for sharing.

104. goose9902 says:

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (first book of a YA trilogy). I highly recommend. Obviously not as good as Hunger Games, but it was a fun read!

105. The Petersons says:

I love so many of these books, but I advice people to be careful indulging your Hunger Games hangover. Your brain will become a dystopian mess and you will have a hard time keeping all of the stories straight! :)

106. The Petersons says:

It's so good! Did you know a sequel just came out?

107. Anonymous says:

I didn't see anyone mention The Among the Hidden series by Margaret Peterson Haddix, aimed a little "younger" than Hunger Games but still good.

108. Anonymous says:

there are those who like to stir the pot when doing so is unnecessary.

thank for all the recommendations. that's really what thi is about.

109. Anonymous says:

ditto

110. apulliam says:

The uglies series by Scott westerfield.

111. Lauren Bingham says:

I cannot wait to delve into your list! I am always hungry for more delicious books. I heartily agree with the commenters recommending the Uglies series and anything that Orson Scott Card has written (my favorite is Enchantment). I will add Kristen Cashore's Graceling & Fire YA novels (took my breath away and I devour multiple books every week, so that is hard to do.) A great old post nuclear war America book is Alas, Babylon. Whee! Very real and intense. One last recommendation (once I get started…) is Diana Wynne Jones' Deep Secret. I love book lists by book lovers. Thank you!

112. Anonymous says:

I think the problem with the Uglies series was that he took it in a way I didn't hope for. In all actuality, it wasn't a bad series. I just kept thinking, "NO. Not that!!!" and it frustrated me. The writing style is a simple one, but well-enough to keep me going.

Thank you for the suggestions in the list, and throughout comments! I have a nice selection of books to read!

Not a YA book, but great (and long!!) nonetheless, The Stand by Stephen King. A little bit more apocalyptic than dystopian, but still a favorite!

113. Anonymous says:

Someone already said it, but the Uglies series is sooooo good, and the whole time I read Hunger Games I thought of those books. I can't wait to read some of these suggestions!

114. The Queen Vee says:

I've read many of the books suggested. The Bartimeaus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud is an absolutely WELL written stand out dystopian read, almost too sophisticated to be classified YA. The end notes are what make his story.

115. Mandi Sue says:

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman!

116. Anonymous says:

I've only read the first Ender's Game novel but I highly recommend it. They're also releasing a movie adaptation in 2013 starring that kid from Hugo. I'm interested in seeing how it goes.

117. mommy long legs says:

Ps. I'm sorry for all the typos. For some reason as I was typing (on my phone) it would auto correct and then the website froze every time I tried to backspace and edit. I really am literate and educated, although somewhat sleep deprived after staying up til 4 am to finish Hunger Games. ;)

118. mommy long legs says:

I do agree. I think I need something To really lighten the mood before forging back into dystopian worlds. I'm thinking Tina Fey's Bossy Pants might do the trick. ;)

119. I am in heaven with all of these suggestions! I have read most on your list but, there are several in these comments that I have never heard of. I am a fellow book nerd as well and I too have friends ask me often for recommendations. Isn't it wonderful when they tell you how much they liked the books you've suggested?

Not dystopian but, one that I have come across and really enjoyed is Inescapable (The premonition series) by Amy A Bartol. The 3rd book is being released next week.

120. I love Divergent! I stumbled upon it the day it came out and I am rereading rigt now since the sequel comes out next month.

121. I didn't get through all the suggestions, so hopefully I'm not repeating; but "Posession" by Elana Johnson (came out this year) is a GREAT read and is a YA book —

122. seriously? "anonymous". Whose the snob by not being able to show who they really are? Step up to the plate, be a man and show yourself — you've apparently got something to hide.

123. Trent Ross says:

BITCH Y U SO DUMB

124. Some days, I really like Pinterest… and some days I love it. Like today, it brought me to you. I am so excited to be a new follower of your blog. I am a reader and am constantly looking for new things to read. Thank you for sharing your reviews. I can’t wait to start this list.

Thanks, Jenni

125. I read and LOVED Divergent (especially being born and raised and still living in Chicago)!!! The second book Insurgent comes out on May 1 and I can not wait!!!

126. What did you think of the Gregor the Overlander series? I, too, am a “snob” and read Hunger Games a few years ago. I was hesitant to read HG because I did not like the Gregor series. I loved the Knife of never letting go series and I’m just finishing up The Maze Runner. I loved them both. Great website.

127. Annie Dunavan says:

This is also a great list:
    Would the book One Second After, be dystopian? It is definitely post – apocalyptic. I liked it.

128. I know a lot of people already mentioned the uglies trilogy by scott westerfield, but I just want to mention I read them back to back because they were so good…!!! I highly recommend them:)

129. Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but The Chrysalids by John Wyndham is awesome – an old classic.

130. Divergent is GREAT and will be a trilogy also (2nd one coming out in May!). AND the movie rights have been bought. YAY!!!

131. Thanks for the recommendations. I have already read Life As We Knew It and it’s sequels as well as Delirium and Pandemonium.

I am reading Feed by M.T. Anderson right now and it is quite an interesting read. It is a dystopian novel.

132. Rikelle says:

Thanks so much for sharing this list. I have been desperate to escape in a new series!

133. Mommy Long Legs says:

Apparently my original post didn’t post. But The Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler is another book I loved. As I was reading hunger games, I often thought of Parable. The strong female protagonists were very similar and set in a dystopian society as well.

134. Michlle says:

Thanks for sharing this list :) I read Divergent and really liked it. Can’t wait for book 2!!! I will have to check out some of the others :)

135. Calpernia Honeyfletcher says:

Those books were SO good. As toilet paper. And that’s just a FACT.

• To each their own…that’s fine if you didn’t like them. Others did..so this list is for them. Feel free to share some recommendations of other dystopian novels you find better…

136. The City of Ember series is also good. I loved The Giver when I was younger, and plan to check out quite a few of the ones mentioned above. Thanks!

137. Madelynkay says:

Shatter me was INCREDIBLE. The writing was well done and very descriptive. Definitely worth reading.

138. FrenchAngel says:

A series that I didn’t see mentioned is Tui Sutherland’s “Avatars” trilogy. The 3rd book can be hard to find, and they are a little younger than Hunger Games, but they are still quite good.

I’d also highly recommend Margaret Atwood’s “Handmaid’s Tale”, which I know someone did mention above.

139. Farenheit 451

140. KathieC says:

I would recommend Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. It’s not written for young adults but I don’t see any issue with it being read by that age group.

141. Eleftheria was a great read. I can’t believe it doesn’t have more readers. It seems to be inching its way into the b&n best sellers. i liked it.

142. Alyssa Binney says:

I have read unwind and it a GREAT book.

143. Thanks for this list! I am always looking for good reads. Although I have read most of these, there are a few that I am totally going to jump on! Thanks again!

144. Whitney says:

All great books!! You need to add a new book to your list Risen-By Britney Jensen! Such a great read.

145. Try Wool by Hugh Howey. It’s a series of 5 short stories (with more on the way) about a future (somewhat dystopian) society. Anything by Hugh Howey is great.

146. the handmaid’s tale is super good. it is similar to hunger games in that it is set is what seems to the the not so distant future if things go weirdly wrong with the world. but a different take on it. good and more of an adult subject matter.

147. Not sure anyone mentioned Battle Royal but it is a awesome read!

148. Michele says:

I usually never comment on anything, however, I Love to read and am always looking for new authors. Here is my contribution to good reads….
    The Mating (Law of the Lycans series) by Nicky Charles. I have found all of these books for free download. Nicky uses Canadian spelling in her novels. Writing is a hobby for her. If you can get past the difference in spelling specific words then you will LOVE this series. I could not put the books down.

The second series I recommend: Darkfever (Fever Series) by Karen Marie Moning. Another series I found for free and could not put it down. If you like long books, these are great. This author also has another series The Highlander Series. I have not read any of these books, however, if they are ANYTHING like the previous series I mentioned, I will be all over it.

• Samantha says:

Yes, the novel The Mating was spectacular. One of my favorites! I still have yet to read the other three in the Law of the Lycans series, but plan to.

Right now I am finishing up The Hunger Games (a little behind!). So good!

149. So many good books suggested! Just a note on all of Karen Marie Moning’s books such as the dark fever books- they are excellent books but not meant to be young novels. Her highlander series is the same, great adult reads.
    Another series that got me through high school was Madeline LeEngle’s Wrinkle in Time series and her books Ring of Endless Light and Arm of the Starfish! Great for any age. Not precisely dystopian, but such treasures!
    I also loved the Bartimaeus Trilogy and the Mortal Instruments series was really well done!
    Thanks for the list!!

150. I have to say, I was actually hugely disappointed in The Maze Runner trilogy. Especially the third book! It just felt like he was just throwing random things together… Anyone else?

Oh, and Uglies is AMAZING! When will that be a movie???

151. The Maze Runner series is really good! I’m sure that these will be made into a movie at some point

152. This is a great list … I’m not really suffering a Hunger Games Hangover, but I’m constantly looking for new books to read. If you haven’t read it yet, I recommend “Always Coming Home” by Ursula K. LeGuin. Not a novel, but a lovely collection of stories from a culture which “might be going to have lived a long, long time from now in Northern California.”

153. Maybe check out some other Margaret Atwood books, such as Oryx & Crake and Year of the Flood (they have related characters/plots). Also, I really loved The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. Happy Reading!

154. samantha says:

Try califa’s daughter. Can’t remember. The author but another female protagonist in dysotopian world.

155. mistaya27 says:

I stopped halfway thru Uglies. Maybe if I give it a break and pick it up again, it’ll grow on me, because I’ve read rave reviews about it.
    But I’m really glad Divergent by Veronica Roth is on this list. This book is packed with action and suspense and is fast-paced (compared to Uglies). I was having a serious hangover from HG and this book satisfied my craving for more dystopia. I can’t wait for Insurgent coming out in May 2012!!!!!

156. r.y. storteboom says:

So many good recommendations! I would add a one or three more. For the grown-ups the best two books I’ve read this past year were both dystopian: ASHES OF THE EARTH by Eliot Pattison and FAR NORTH by Marcel Theroux. For the YA fans among us Andrea White’s SURVIVING ANTARCTICA: REALITY TV 2083.

157. I read Divergent and it is by far my FAVORITE book. The next one comes out May 1.

158. Great list, thanks so much! I just placed several of them on hold at my library. Just finished Divergent – LOVED it – and have to second the recommendations for the Uglies series, Incarceron and The Giver. :)

Jess

159. Karen J. says:

I also read the books before there was any talk of a movie. As I was reading them, I thought how great it would be if they could turn them into a movie (or series of movies, rather). Then, when I heard they were going to, I was SO PUMPED!!! (I don’t think it’s snobbish to say that you enjoyed something long before the hype. If NO ONE had read the books before, there would be no movie and no hype to speak of. It had to start somewhere.) I had also recommended them to family and friends back when I read them. Many of them know that I would only recommend something that really IS good, so they borrowed my copies and they all really enjoyed them as well. When the people who hadn’t read them after I recommended them (because they were too busy or just didn’t think it sounded like something they’d like) heard the movie was coming out and finally decided to read them, they too, really enjoyed them. It’s interesting that the hype around a movie like this can turn non-readers into readers, at least for a little while. Right now people are borrowing my copies of the trilogy and I even have people on a waiting list to read them. I just want them back so I can read them again.

I read the books over a year ago, and when I heard about the movie I decided that I wouldn’t reread them before it came out. I knew that if I did, I would be so critical of the differences between the two, that I wouldn’t be able to enjoy the movie. I think it was a good choice. I was able to remember enough about the book that I knew more of the background and what was going on, and I knew there were some differences, but I wasn’t as picky as I would have been otherwise. I feel they did a great job making the book into a movie, and I hope they can do the same with the next two books. :o)

I saw previous posts about Stephen King’s (writting as Richard Bachman) books The Long Walk and The Running Man. I read them a few years ago and really enjoyed both books. I also thought The Hunger Games was very similar to The Running Man, except that in The Running Man, the main character is an adult male. I liked how Suzanne Collins made Katniss the main character and hero in The Hunger Games.

Thank you for the recommendations of these other books like Divergent, The Maze Runner, The House of the Scorpion, and Matched . I’ve seen these on the shelf at the library and book store, but wasn’t quite sure about them. Now I will definitely have to pick them up, along with the others you suggested. Thanks!

160. I read MATCHED and it was GREAT – the second in the trilogy, CROSSED, unfortunately isn’t nearly as good and is definitely a ‘filler.’ Plus the ending of Crossed is unrealistic based on what the charectors had just gone through, but… Just my opinion! SHATTER ME is also really good and a very quick read.

Can any of you tell me if DIVERGENT is good? I read the sample from Amazon on my Kindle and thought it was a little odd… Slightly intriguing but not enough to make me want to buy it. Opinions?

• I agree with you about Crossed.
      DIVERGENT, DIVERGENT, DIVERGENT!!!! I had to keep a notebook close by to keep up with who was in what faction!! Counting down the days before #2 comes out!! I am 41, and just starting reading for ME as a hobby about 3 years ago. All I read for the last 10-15 years was baby, and parenting books/magazines. Can’t believe that I am reading and enjoying these books.

161. I will really need this! They say The Giver is a good “cure” book.

162. Suggestions:
    Shades of Gray by Jasper Fforde- adult
    The Giver by Lois Lowry- childrens
    City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau- childrens

163. The Uglies set is a great YA read. Uglies, Pretties, Specials, and Extras. It’s definitely in a similar thread as some of these other reads. Really awesome. One of my fav series. Also, for a more adult read, try Sharon Shinn’s Archangel Trilogy. The land of Samaria is fascinating. You don’t realize what’s truly going on until deeper into the novels.

164. Brimstada says:

So glad that you mentioned Handmaids tale one of the best books ever. My one suggestion is the Ender series by Orson Scott Card, not exactly distopian, more science fiction, but enough distopia to get your fix and it’s hopefully going to be a movie soon ( they have been talking about making it a movie FOREVER )

165. Wool by Hugh Howey!

166. Thewalnut says:

I loved The Handmaid’s Tale and in fact I just reread it because I was in need of something a bit dystopian. I also love Atwood’s Oryx and Crake , and The Year of the Flood. One of my personal favorite however is Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card. Good reading to all!

167. Christine says:

YA books: Shiver trilogy and the Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
    Adult: Pure by Julianna Baggott–excellent!!

168. Stephanie says:

I’ve also found The Passage by Justin Cronin to be a nice step-up for an adult read.

Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater was fantastic.

169. I really liked angelfall and Alice in deadland too…both are more post-apocalyptic novels really but I lovvvvve a bunch of these suggestions and wanted to share these that I haven’t seen yet…like I said, not dystopian but still good, both have yet to be published sequels i believe? Angelfall by Susan Ee and Alice in Deadland by Mainak Dhar

170. Yes! I love it. I’m looking forward to reading some of these. I would also totally recommend Downburst, by Katie Robison. I seriously could not put it down. It’s on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Downburst-Katie-Robison/dp/0985046511/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334293137&sr=1-1

171. And, Ally Condie’s MATCHED has its sequel CROSSED out!! I love these books!

172. Great adult post-apocalypse book : In A Country of Last Things, Paul Auster

173. This is a great list, especially with all the additional suggestions! Gathering Blue from the Giver trilogy was one of my favorites growing up!

174. Jordyn G says:

i’ve already read a lot of these books…(:

175. Don’t forget The Uglies series! It’s a fantastic distopian series that I love

176. I have never posted to someone before but recognize a great reader when I see your post. I go back and forth to YA and adult fiction and can recommend The Giver, by Lois Lowry. then read the next two. Another series to enjoy is the City of Ember, followed by People of Sparks. Skip third book and read the finale fourth… Name escapes me. Always a joy to throw some re-read of Harry potter in. Then a total departure but good… The dark angel by John Leary. He is worth your time. Sincerely, a book lover

• Beth Taylor says:

I also loved th City of Ember series but didn’t like the 3rd book. Haven’t read the 4th but will do now that I’ve read your post. You must read Life as We Knew It (trilogy now, I do believe). I loved them!!! I will read The Giver next!

177. Just read all the posts, realize I should have done that first. Great list and will be following you. Thanks to all of you posting I have a greeaattt reading list. Great blog.

178. An good one that is post apocalyptic/dystopian/zombies is The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. I really enjoyed that. Matched is good, Divergent as well. The Chemical Garden series is definitely awesome in a creepy way. Just a question , though, why is it considered snobby if you read the books a long time ago? I go to the bookstore all the time and just pick stuff up I think looks cool. I ‘ve read most of the “popular” stuff waaaaaay before it’s popular, and don’t mean it to sound snotty. Some of us just spend a lot more time reading , and buying books. Maybe we’re weird, but hey, what can I say? ;)

179. I’m not sure if anyone above mentioned it, but I loved The Passage, by Justin Cronin. The second book doesn’t come out until October, but I am already looking forward to it.

180. LOVED Divergent!!! I can’t wait for the next one to come out. I’m in the middle of The Passage right now…it’s intriguing…I’m really enjoying it. Thanks for the list!

181. Check out Gate to Woman’s Country…it’s a great read

182. I love The Hunger Games trilogy and I saw that Barnes & Nobles suggests Graceling by Kristin Cashore. Would you recommend that one?

183. There’s a bajillion comments here, lol, so I didn’t check to see – but I’d add The Giver, Gathering Blue, and Messenger to this list (all by Lois Lowry), in the name of YA dystopia. I caught a glimpse of someone mentioning the Ender series as I scrolled, and I concur. Reading the Hunger Games put me in a mood to read A Wizard of Earthsea (again) by Ursula K Leguin, so I guess they’re connected in my subconsious. Haha.

184. Kim Bond says:

I have read about half of these so I will read some of your other recommendations as well. Another one you should check out is Possession by Elana Johnson. I love it and it is similar to Matched and Delirium. Enjoy!

185. I also had the “hangover” and found a list of books to read at my local library. I picked Delirium by Lauren Oliver and became obsessed. I read it in less than a day (poor hubby an kids). I then found the sequel Pandemonium and read that with a couple of days. I cannot wait for Lauren Oliver to finish of the triology!

186. WOOL is incredible. Get the omnibus edition which includes all 5 books!

187. Clockwork Orange

188. Kim Higgs says:

Have you read the Tomorrow series? Australian books by John Marsden, beginning with Tomorrow, When the War Began. A group of kids go camping in Aussie bush. When they return, the country has been taken over by a hostile army and all their families are thrown into camps. Great story as they search for other survivors – I read them in my late 20’s and shared them with my 60 yr old dad who loved them too.

• I will second this suggestion – my FAVOURITE series of books. Could not put them down.
      I really enjoyed the Wool series also.

I am SO glad I have found this blog, I cant wait to read so many of these suggestions. I have just filled a couple pages with titles already and only got halfway through the comments. Thank you for everyone’s recommendations.

189. So many comments, so I am not sure if this book was already mentioned, but you need to read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. This book is beautiful.

190. I just read the “Uglies” series by Scott Westerfeld-that is the name of the first book in a series of four-they were VERY similar to the Hunger Games in that it depicts a dystopian society set in the future….VERY interesting and VERY hard to put down! I highly recommend them!

191. The Passage by Justin Cronin.

192. DIVERGENT, I just read it. It was a very very easy read. It was great. Can’t wait for the second one.

193. anonymous says:

don’t read the “matched” series. you end up hating the main character through the whole book and she never gets the picture. wasted hours of my life…

194. I read Unwind a few years ago when I was 15. It was very interesting and I couldn’t put it down! Defiantly something to get caught up in after HG.

195. What about Brave New World? Assigned reading when I was in high school. SO good!

196. ‘The City of Ember’ and ‘The People of Sparks’ are written for an audience younger than the Hunger Games…. but still provide lots to think about. (Just realized that there is another in the series but I haven’t read it.)

197. How about “Never Let Me Go” by Kazuo Ishiguro?

198. Mercedes "FireCraker" Luey says:

I haven’t read any of these yet but “The Legend” is a really, really good book. Reminds me a lot of the Hunger Games. You should really add it! :3)

199. Never Let Me Go
    Kazuo Ishiguro

200. I think that anything by Brandon Sanderson beats out the Hunger Games on my love list. My favorite is “Way of Kings” but The “Mistborn” Trilogy is good as well :)

201. The House of Night series was one that I really enjoyed. It isn’t very alike to the hunger games books but it’s interesting.

202. YourMama says:

Try Graceling and Fire…both by Kristin Cashore

203. The Uglies was also a great series, if you like hunger games you’ll like it

204. i didn’t get the chance to read all the comments but beautiful creatures is worth a mention for this genre

205. Allison says:

Sundial by M. Pearsall and C. Fruzetti! If you liked Hunger Games, you’ll love Sundial!

206. “Oryx and Crake” and “The Year of the Flood” by Margaret Atwood are also excellent dystopic novels. She’s a fantastic writer.

“Boneshaker” by Cherie Priest is a fun steampunk novel. It has zombies and airships and it’s really cool. It’s part of her “Clockwork Century” series.

Also, The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix is a great read. Not really dystopic, but definitely under-read and underrated. Start with “Sabriel.”

Lastly, His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman is a great trilogy as well.

Cheers!

207. Wither (Book 1 in the Chemical Garden Trilogy) by Lauren DeStefano is definately a must read if you loved The Hunger Games. You should totally add it to the list and read it, yourself. One of my most favoriate books, for sure.

208. if you like hunger games and maze runner you should read incarceron!!!!!

209. I have read most of these and they are great! actually prefer most of them to the hunger games.

I would add anything by margaret peterson Haddix as well. INCREDIBLE author. I have read all of her books (she has over a dozen stand alone books and several series too) and I still can’t predict what’s going to happen next in any of them! she’s great!

210. Anonymous says:

Ender’s Game!!! best book ever and great YA novel. Also the subsequent series following Bean…Shadow of the Giant, Shadow of the Hegemon,

211. BetsyAFS says:

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami is more adult than YA – definitely leave you thinking. I think that I liked it, although it is very very different than anything I have read before. Huge hit in Japan.

212. A Great And Terrible Beauty series. =)

213. I’m SO glad Divergent is on here, such a great book.
    The Mortal Instrument series should be added :)

214. I decided to try Life as we know it, since a few people on here recommended it. I have to say I find it incredibly boring, however I’m only a third into it. I’m trying really hard to keep reading but it’s just not doing it for me.. I know some books are just boring til you get further in.
    I did read Delirium and found it really boring too until about halfway through, and I loved the second book Pandemonium. I can’t believe I have to wait a year to find out what happens next.
    Same thing kinda happened with The Uglies. Once you get past the first half it gets so good. The Uglies series is top notch. I love love loved it. The second book The Pretties is the best out of the three.

215. Emma Burger says:

Blindness, by Jose Saramago, is a FANTASTIC read for adults (it’s not dystopian as much as magic realism/alternate reality, but if you like dystopian novels it will appeal to you!). The style is really difficult at first, because the only punctuation used is periods–no quotation marks, question marks, dashes, semicolons, etc. But you get used to it really quickly. If you pick up the book and are intimidated by this prose, I highly recommend getting it on audiobook. It isn’t horribly long, and after reading it it quickly became my favorite book.

216. Oryx & Crake by Margarett Attwood was a great (non-YA) follow up… Great distopian read.

217. I would just like to add to my previous comment about Life as We Knew it. I just finished, usually it takes me a couple days to finish a book. This book took nearly two weeks because it was so boring. I don’t wanna sound like a Debbie downer, but it was definitely not worth buying. The majority or the book was about canned goods an how they rationed it and chopping wood. Hardly any action, if the world was truly in that much chaos then people would be going mad and fighting and raiding and stealing more. Anyways I think I’ll try divergent next.

218. You might want to check out Steve Erickson’s books. Some of them are tough to find since they’re out of print but well worth the hunt. In particular: ‘ arc d’x’ and ‘Our ecstatic days’.

219. The cloud prophet trilogy by Megg Jensen

Not dystopian, more fantasy. About two warring peoples, one enslaved and the other rule over them. You can buy this on amazon I dont think you can find it in many stores.

220. I really like the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield!

221. Danielle says:

Hi, thanks for the list! I’m not sure if the book, “The Running Man” by Stephen King has been suggested to go along with the adult fiction list as well as the short story, “The Lottery” by Shirely Jackson. My husband suggested these reads and said that he’s pretty sure The Hunger Games series was inspired by the short story. I’m sure we could list off a few more but these are all the come to mind at the moment. Have a good one, fellow reader! :)

222. Water wars is also a good one

223. margaret says:

Another great book I just read is Whither by Lauren Destefano, it comes as a trilogy… Its a a must!

224. If I Stay and the sequel Where She Went by Gayle Forman are superb books, not dystopian but very real, emotional and well written

225. The Chrysalids by John Wyndham is a fantastic book! I have wished they would make it into a movie although I have seen hints of its story in a lot of books and movies with similiar stories.

226. lmondon says:

Graceling series by Kristin Cashore!! It is so good!
    Also the books series Battle Royale is almost the exact same premise as the Hunger Games and written by a Japanese writer translated into English. It is supposed to be really good and also has a movie already made for it.

227. Jasmine says:

Dang it, I’ve already read most of these. I do agree though.

228. Matched is wonderful! Also, The Host by Stephenie Meyer reminds me of the hunger games and is one of my favorite books, but it’s nothing like Twilight for any twilight haters.

229. Christine says:

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo is another that you can add to this list, it only came out last week so not a lot of people know about it yet, but it was a good read, fast and different.

230. Michelle says:

So glad to see The Knife of Never Letting Go on one of these sorts of lists! I’ve been recommending that trilogy to everyone that would listen since the first book came out! Incredible series, Patrick Ness is wonderful!

231. Matched is excellent! Can’t wait for the final installment this fall!

232. SggurcsYeleak says:

I’m glad to see that Battle Royale, Unwind, and The Handmaid’s Tale made it onto this list!

233. Shout-out to Ship Breaker, as well. I loved it!

234. I’ve got to say – I am LOVING the suggestions you have up there. I’m in complete agreement with your suggestions of Divergent and Incarnate. Both would make sense as a read that might help fill the new void THG creates.

235. matched is SOOOO GOOD. when i came to this page i looked for it cause i knew it was so great for this. but better. i love it. its actually a series, and the thrid and final book is coming out in november. ALL WILL BE SORTED

236. twilight

237. celtics4eva says:

I will go ahead and admit that Divergent is just as good, possibly better than the hunger games!

238. The Mortal Instruments series is a great series as well! Has a lot of action and romance, but also a fantastical side to it like Harry Potter. It is an amazing series that doesn’t take long to read, but you won’t want to stop reading it like The Hunger Games!

This is a great post and now I have so many books that I’m going to read!

239. I’m very late to the book party, but wanted to thank you for providing a list for all the new Hunger Games fans. As a former librarian, I happen to love Young Adult literature even though lately I’ve been creeping into more adult fiction when I find something engaging enough. In Young Adult I also recently enjoyed Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) by Susan Ee. What’s especially intriguing is that it’s her first novel and she has no publicity team since she self-published it. I continued to hear great things about it, so I grabbed it up last month. Now I’m on her list to hear when Book 2 comes out. For book 2 (and on) she has a publisher who will be working PR for her. :)

In adult fiction I’m (finally) enjoying the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I was overwhelmed to find almost every book was 1,000 pages, but it reads so quickly. Now I’m looking forward to the release of book 8 next fall (and also want to read the Lord John Grey series that is connected to the Outlander series). YAY! I have four young children and we homeschool, so I always try to squeeze good books in the little nooks and crannies of my day.

Thanks, again!

240. I love the house of night series by P.C. Cast & Kirstin Cast, really good books!

241. If you haven’t read The Giver by Lois Lowry, it can give you a lot to think about.

242. I would add Graceling, along with Fire and Bitterblue, by Kristen Cashore. And especially Graceling. They’re great books.

243. Courtney says:

The mortal instrument series and the infernal devices series by Cassandra Clare are also really good to help cut the “hunger” pains!

244. AprilDC says:

Sorry, I didn’t read all the posts, but I read about halfway down and didn’t see these mentioned… I highly recommend The Secret Under My Skin. Also: Compound was enjoyed by my son; the Susan Beth Pfeffer series has two additional books, The Dead and the Gone and This World We Live In, both excellent; The Roar has a sequel, The Whisper; another book about teens forced into a reality-to-the-death show is Surviving Antarctica; the Dark Life series is dystopia under the ocean; The Bar Code Tatoo and The Bar Code Rebellion; for zombie lovers there are the Rot and Ruin series and (my recommendation) The Forest of Hands and Teeth and its sequel, The Dead Tossed Waves;…. I could go on. You originally asked about adult dystopian fiction. I highly recommend Beauty, by Sheri S. Tepper. It combines my two loves in literature, dystopian settings and fairy tales. As in, what would happen if all those fairy tale princesses were real, and their time traveling descendant/ancestor (time travel makes that possible) tried to help them with their screwed up lives? Sounds a little silly, but trust me, it is an absolutely stunning book. Hope some of these recommendations were helpful. :)

245. AprilDC says:

Sorry, a few more things: I recommended several books earlier. In no way am I saying that these are “as good as” The Hunger Games trilogy. They are just more titles in the genre that readers might like. Some are better than others. When I first started reading dystopian fiction, I read everything I could find, as it was a lot more rare then. Also, another adult dystopian book I recommend is The Gate to Women’s Country by S. Tepper. A review of yours made me think of it.

246. This was so helpful! Not that I don’t already have enough books to read but hey. I just downloaded samples for nearly everything mentioned and added them to my Amazon wishlist. The only ones I knew of were Delirium, Unwind (read and loved both), Divergent, Uglies, and Gone. I have all of these series waiting for me along with The Declaration by Gemma Malley which I don’t think has been mentioned, and The Host, Marked and The Passage which I didn’t realise were similar. I must say though there is a lot of repetition which was annoying but good to have people back up the books already mentioned I guess. Oh and I love Pinterest too as that’s how I found this :)

247. Just started reading “Matched” by Ally Condie. Another dystopian novel – the first book of a young adult trilogy. So far so good!

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

248. matched is awful. you end up hating the main character through the whole book. giver and unwind are great. so is ‘when she woke’ by hilary jordan.

249. In the YA category, you’re missing the Giver series by Lois Lowry (though really, I think she’s a children’s author?). There are three and they’re fantastic, though each one centers around a different character, instead of being a continuation. Along the same vein are Jeanne DuPrau’s Books of Ember. I thought they were pretty awesome. My nine year old niece says the movie, The City of Ember wasn’t that great, but I have yet to get her to read the books.

In the adult category, dystopian and post-apocalyptic are some of my favorite sub genres!
    Robert R. McCammon – Swan Song (this is my FAVORITE book of all time!)
    Stephen King – The Stand
    Ursula K. Le Guin – The Lathe of Heaven (read this years ago, and it makes a bit more sense on the second read. Also, it’s more science fiction than dystopian, but I lumped it in since it’s got a different take on history and how things turned out in our world)
    David Brin – The Postman (Yes, as in the Kevin Costner movie. Like most other book/movie titles, the book is a billion times better!)
    E.E. Knight – The Vampire Earth series (if you want something different, this is a pretty good choice. Knight’s writing took some getting used to for me, as he does a lot of “background” before he starts the novel, and if I recall correctly, some chapters have a bit of background as well. But, I liked these quite a bit.)

That’s all I can think of right now.

250. Not sure if it’s been suggested (So many responses!) but if you’re still looking for more YA dystopias, try the Storm Thief by… Er, crud, I have it packed. Christopher Wood, Wooding, Woods? Something like that. I think.

It’s a good little book. I wish he’d written more!

251. I’ve been reading the Gone series for years and they’re amazing!!

The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare are really good as well.

252. Ita not dystopian at all but if you like young adult fantasy fiction perhaps try The Rose Legends by Kate Brown. Book 1 is currently the only one available but I’ve heard rumors that book 2 will be out some time next year.

253. I can’t wait to look into these. I found a similar list several months back that I got wonderful results from. Check out a book called “Exceptional” by Jess Petosa. It’s only 200 pages, but I really enjoyed it and it’s got a very similar THG quality about it.

254. Rebecca C says:

Check out Shades of Gray (no, not that one!) by Jasper Fforde! One of my favorite newer dystopias about a world that is separated by caste determined by what colors you can see. Sounds strange, I know, but it is fantastic! Typical, witty Fforde!

255. If you are looking for good adult fiction books, the sword of truth series by terry goodkind are fantastic! They are more sci fi byt they definitely have some dystopia based plots about it as well

256. this is a great list :) i also like

Bumped (McCafferty) – YA
    Battlefield Earth (of course! Hubbard) – adult
    The Unidentified (Mariz) – YA
    Outside (Boland) – YA

257. Jenebra says:

Thank you so much for these suggestions! I am currently reading the “Matched” series per your recommendation and LOVE it. You’ve saved my reading life. THANK YOU!!!

258. Natalie says:

I just read Cinder a couple of days ago and it was really good! It’s more of a futuristic style with there being “Lunars” living on the moon and cyborgs, but it isn’t really science-fictiony, in my opinion. It’s just an updated version of Cinderella (obviously). The next one will be involving Red Riding Hood, as well. Looking forward to it.

I remember reading The Uglies series and having to wait for the next ones to come out. They were fantastic and definitely deserve to be on the list. I didn’t commit to reading THG until the movies, but I can say that once The Uglies movie comes out – it’ll be the same thing… just like any other book > movie.

Other good ones I’ve been reading and some I haven’t read, but are on my list:
    Insurgent – the sequel to Divergent
    Tortured – another in the “Birthmarked” series
    Across the Universe & it’s sequel A Million Suns
    The sequels to The Maze Runner

*** I would suggest going to goodreads.com because they give lists of the new dystopian books coming out this year as well as just good ones in general. The lists are pretty long, too. It’s where I’ve gotten all my new book reads from.

259. Awesome blog! Just found it via Pinterest.
    I’d recommend Feed by M.T. Anderson for a YA dystopian option and adult fiction I’d recommend Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy, Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, and News from Nowhere by William Morris as some utopian/dystopian options!

260. I have been using this book as a cure for my Hunger Games Hangover. I have to say that Divergent and its sequel Insurgent were devoured in two days! I am upset to have to wait a whole year for the third book, though. I would also suggest reading The City of Ember and its sequel books. (There are a total of four.) I transitioned straight to these books from Divergent and fell in LOVE with them! Thanks for the list posted. It is a great jumping off point for future reads.

261. Michele says:

Matched reminded me much of the hunger games. It was a good book. It is also good for spurring political conversations with the students!

262. Great list and even more in the comments to check out. I don’t have the time to read all the comments, so I hope I’m not repeating, but I also thought Shipbreaker by Pasco Bacigalupi had a similar tone and mood to Hunger Games. I’ve recommended it to several high school students having HG withdrawals. A few cuss words so consider the audience when recommending it.
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

263. I’m on the third book of The Maze Runner series and I love them! I would recommend them to anyone!

264. Thanks for the list! I started the Gone series when it first came out and just finished up The Maze Runner trilogy. I just checked out The Knife of Never Letting Go and can’t wait to start it!

265. I’m gonna give an extra shout-out for Divergent. I can’t wait til the next books come out; I thought it was (dare I say it aloud) BETTER than Hunger Games! Of course, that’s just my humble opinion!

266. Susanne H says:

Susan Beth Pfeffer …Life As We Knew It,
    The World we Live In,
    & The Dead & The Gone

I can’t wait for the next one!

267. good list iv read divergent and enclave!both great!divergent is alot like the setting of the hunger games but the main character in enclave is more like katniss . they bith have very strong female characters though.the celestra serise by addison moore is also good.hush hush by becca fitzpatrick is another good one.switched by amanda hocking is also good.the adoration of jena fox by mary e pearson, a beautiful dark by jocelyn davies, a dark divine by bree despain. and if your into the romance thing the statistical probability of love at first sight by jennifer e smith ,th eforest of hands and teath by carrie ryan beautiful creaturs is also going to be a movie

268. Christine says:

Great list. i will have to check these out. I haven’t read a novel in about 10 years. I just read the Hunger Games trilogy three times in the past month. I loved it. Just watched the movie released today for the first time and I felt so much was missing. I didn’t feel the passion the books brought. I am trying to decide what to read next. Insurgent series or The Uglies series. I would love some suggestions.

• Christine,
      The Uglies series is amazing and I highly recommend them. Similar to The Hunger Games in ways. Definitely a good transition.

269. Ally Condie’s Matched series is fantastic. I’m very excited for Reached to come out.

270. I’ve read a few of those… and have a few on my shelf :) Just haven’t gotten round to reading them yet!

271. Into the Forest by Jean Hegland. … If you’ve wandered this far down the page and are still looking for something

272. Also…Life of Pi

273. BLOOD RED ROAD <3!!

274. Also, if you’re looking for books about the series (but not visual companion sort of things), I just recently reviewed a title called ‘The Girl Who Was On Fire’, which is a series of essays on the books contributed by various authors. It was a very thought provoking read, my review is up now =) I’d definitely recommend it if you want some more HG!
    Rinn

275. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

276. Have any of you tried The Wind on Fire trilogy? The Wind Singer, Slaves of the Mastery,Firestone, by William Nicholson . Brilliant, as are the Dark Materials trilogy by PhilipPullman .

277. Found this list on Pinterest. Subscribing to your blog. I like your style! This list looks great to me. Have you read the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield. It is a dystopian series with 4 books total. I liked it a lot. I think you might dig it.

278. All of Margaret Atwood’s books are great reads, I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for more adult themes.

279. City of Bones(The Mortal Instruments) and Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices) are AMAZING books by Cassandra Clare! The Selection is a AWESOME book by Kiera Cass… she also wrote The Siren which is also a really good book.

280. The Leftovers

281. Wow, thank you for this list!! I’ve bookmarked your page as well as printing out your list! I am reading Unwind right now and it’s an excellent read. I didn’t know what this genre was called before coming across your site. Thank you again!!

282. I LOVE this list!! And Ender’s Game is a fantastic read as well! I do have to admit that The Maze Runner trilogy plus the prequel (which I just finished; so 4 books total) also gave me a hangover!! Left me wanting more! I said the same thing at the end of both series (Hunger Games and Maze Runner) Why are there only 3 books ;)

283. The passage by Justin Cronin is an amazing book! It’s adult fiction apocalyptic type

284. Pure by Julianna Baggot is an adult dystopian…very good although it is very brutal (not YA at all!) and reminded me in parts of the hunger games.

285. Amber Jones says:

I just came across your list through Pinterest; wonderful stuff on here! I would like to suggest Ayn Rand’s Anthem if no one else has. It’s a quick-reading dystopian novel that I loved. Atlas Shrugged is also really great. Thanks for the suggestions; I will be checking a few of these out.

286. Christine says:

This is a great list and I will be checking the ones I haven’t read out at the book store. I scanned some of the comments and I noticed the Giver, which is a great book. I would also like to recommend The Chrysalids and The Uglies, The Pretties and the Specials trilogy (those are the titles of all 3 books).

287. I’m not gonna read through all the comments, so I apologize if this is redundant, but “The Passage” and “The Twelve” by Justin Cronin are two awesome adult dystopian books. Be prepared, though…they are part of a trilogy and the last book, “City of Mirrors” is not out until 2014.
    Also, another classic adult dystopian novel (since Stephen King was brought up) is “The Stand.” I am reading it now for the first time and it’s awesome.

288. How about “Fahrenheit 451″? Great dystopian. I had some others…. maybe they’ll come back.

Oh! “The Messenger”!

FYI, for those who read the Matched trilogy, you will find that the Delirium one is very similar.. it really didn’t catch my attention after the first one.

289. a series I read around the same time as The Hunger Games series is the Uglies series. Equally as amazing! Also set in the future…

290. Battle Royale by Takami is basically where all of Hunger Games storyline was taken from. I can’t believe it didn’t make your 15 book list. You should read it and see what you think. It is just Japanese teens that are taken to an island and forced to kill each other with random weapons in a fight to the finish. It is more vulgar and also more graphic because you get to know every character and you read about every death. I can’t wait to read some of the 15 books though.

Morgan

291. great list! another book i highly reccommend is The Odds by Amy Kinzer :)

292. Not sure if it was mentioned, but the Wool Omnibus edition is fantasic!!

293. I found your page on Pinterest a few months ago, and I just wanted to say thank you! Most of my life I didn’t think I enjoyed reading. Truth is, I just didn’t read the right books. I started with Divergent from your recommendation and LOVED it! I have almost finished all of the others on this list, and I have enjoyed all of them. Excellent list! I am now the type of person who can read a book in a day. Thanks again!

294. hey. you have got to read Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood, both by Margaret Atwood. They’re soooo good. Also try Never Let Me Go by The Passage by JustIn CronIn, The City and the CIty by China MIevIlle, EInsteIn’s Dreams by Alan LIghtman, The Host by StephenIe Meyer, and sooo many more. YA Is awesome, but you know, there’re tons of “grown-up” dystopIan books out there. Just have to fInd them. happy readIng

295. As far as a dystopian/post-apocalyptic novel that I didn’t see mentioned in the comments (I can’t really differentiate between the two types), I’d suggest Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart. I just finished it and it was quite good. It was written in a very interesting manner. It’s been compared to 1984, as being a more modern version of it. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also, Reddit.com has a great search feature that you can use to search for a topic like “dystopian novels”. What’s great about the site is that you’ll get a lot of results of discussion posts and you can read comments about the books to know whether or not you’d like to read them!

296. The Enemy (book 1 of trilogy) by Charlie Higson is good also.

297. Ninja lord says:

The Tapestry series by Henry H. Neff is a good one too.

298. Makai Queen is a new YA fiction that is a crowd pleaser!

299. Hey, I did not see Kristin Simmons mentioned: Article 5 is her book and it is really good! YA fiction and Dystopian and definitely a good read. There is another book in this series now, but I have not read it, yet. Good author, good book.

300. Another great book series is the Maddaddam Trilogy by Margaret Atwood! The last book is coming out in September (I think). The first two books, Oryx and Crake, and Year of the Flood are amazing! If you loved Hunger Games, you will love this series!

301. Another great dystopian adult fiction book is Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. In my English 101 class we focused on dystopian fiction and read that book as well as 1984 and Brave New World. All are great books.

302. Here are many of the suggestions listed:
    – Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
    – Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
    – Matched by Ally Condie
    – Enclave by Ann Aguirre
    – Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
    Ender’s Game
    Ender’s Shadow is also extremely good– it follows a different character.
    Ender’s Saga by Orson Scott Card.
    Definitely read Ender’s Game, then go to Ender’s Shadow and the other Shadow books and then read Speaker for the Dead, it’s 2,000 years later so the story barely has anything to do with the characters in Ender’s Game.

THE GIVER
    Shatter Me

If you are looking for adult fiction books: read The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood,

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (post apocalyptic),

Battle Royale by Kouhun Takami,

The Roar by Emma Clayton?

Stephen King also has a story called The Running Man (?), which is apparently a more adult rendition of The Hunger Games.The Running Man was a great read. SK wrote several books under a pen name and this was one of them.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley & 1984 by George Orwell.

Another good set is “Oryx and Crake” and

Enclave by Aguirrre

Starters by Lissa Price

handmaids tale, orxy and crake both by Margaret Atwood

Birthmarked and Prized by Caragh M. O’Brien

Chemical Garden Trilogy (Wither, Fever and ?) by Lauren DeStefano.

Skinned series by Robin Wasserman!

The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield

The Adoration of Jenna Fox (first in a series).

The Night Circus is incredible!

Incarceron is another fantastic book that would fit this list.

Wings by Aprilynne Pike is good!!

Matched is great – it reminded me a lot of The Giver.

The second book actually came out in November and it's called Crossed!

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Wither –

Robopocalypse

Any other series by Orson Scott Card, they are all amazing!

ONE OF MY FAVE SERIES EVER! Fever was so stinking good!!

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, pretty good,

Tiger Curse Series was ok.

Discovery of Witches was pretty good.

Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland is worth reading (adult fiction),

The Night Circus

Distopian adult read: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Eleftheria by Jade DeKelaita

Anthem ny Ayn Rand is another really good young adult book

Graceling by Kristen Cashore, and it's companion book Fire to this list…

Mortal Instruments (1st of series is City of Bones)by Cassandra Clare?

Ember City by Jeanne DuPrau and the

House of the Scorpion by Nancy farmer

HUGE fan of Birthmarked!

GLOW by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Delirium

Downburst by Katie Robison

Article 5 by Kristin Simmons

Makai Queen is a new YA fiction

The Tapestry series by Henry H. Neff

The Enemy (book 1 of trilogy) by Charlie Higson

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart.

Never Let Me Go by The Passage by JustIn CronIn,

The City and the CIty by China MIevIlle,

EInsteIn’s Dreams by Alan Lightman,

The Host by StephenIe Meyer

Wool Omnibus edition is fantasic!!

The Odds by Amy Kinzer

The Chrysalids

Atlas Shrugged is also really great.

The Passage by Justin Cronin is an amazing book! It’s adult fiction apocalyptic typePure by Julianna Baggot is an adult dystopian…very good although it is very brutal (not YA at all!) and reminded me in parts of the hunger games.

The Leftovers

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

BLOOD RED ROAD

Life of Pi

Into the Forest by Jean Hegland

Ally Condie’s Matched series is fantastic.

the celestra serise by addison moore is also good.

the adoration of jena fox by mary e pearson,

a beautiful dark by jocelyn davies, a dark divine by bree despair.

th eforest of hands and teath by carrie ryan

Susan Beth Pfeffer …Life As We Knew It,
    The World we Live In,
    & The Dead & The Gone

Shipbreaker by Pasco Bacigalupi had a similar tone and mood to Hunger Games.

Janine Spendlove’s War of the Seasons series to this list, the first two books are currently available.
    Book One: the human
    Book Two: the half-blood

Feed by M.T. Anderson for a YA dystopian option and adult fiction

Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy,

Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, and

Insurgent – the sequel to Divergent

Tortured – another in the “Birthmarked” series
    Across the Universe & it’s sequel A Million SunsNews from Nowhere by William Morris as some utopian/dystopian options!

Cinder

Bumped (McCafferty) – YA
    Battlefield Earth (of course! Hubbard) – adult
    The Unidentified (Mariz) – YA
    Outside (Boland) – YA

Shades of Gray by Jasper Fforde

Exceptional by Jess Petosa

Shiver trilogy and the Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Passage by Justin Cronin to be a nice step-up for an adult read.

Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater was fantastic.

Angelfall by Susan Ee and

Ally Condie’s MATCHED has its sequel CROSSED

Downburst, by Katie Robison.

In A Country of Last Things, Paul Auster – adult

The dark angel by John Leary.

Life as We Knew It (trilogy now,

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan.

The Passage, by Justin Cronin.

Gate to Woman’s Country

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K Leguin

Delirium by Lauren Oliver and sequel Pandemonium

Tomorrow series – Australian books by John Marsden

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. This book is beautiful.

Unwind
    The Passage by Justin Cronin.

Alice in Deadland by Mainak Dhar

Adult: Pure by Julianna Baggott–excellent!!

The Legend

The House of Night series

Sundial by M. Pearsall and C. Fruzetti

Incarceron

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami is more adult than YA – definitely leave you thinking.

A Great And Terrible Beauty series.

The Mortal Instrument series should be added

The cloud prophet trilogy by Megg Jensen – Not dystopian, more fantasy.

Water wars

Whither by Lauren Destefano, it comes as a trilogy

The Chrysalids by John Wyndham is a fantastic book!

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Sorry, by Paolo Bacigalupi

The Mortal Instruments series is a great series as well!

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) by Susan Ee

Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon

house of night series by P.C. Cast & Kirstin Cast

when she woke’ by hilary jordan

Robert R. McCammon – Swan Song (this is my FAVORITE book of all time!)

Stephen King – The Stand

David Brin – The Postman

Storm Thief

303. Kirsten Miller’s, Eternal One’s series is really good. Hoping there is a third book in the making.

304. The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau is a book like The Hunger Games. It’s a novel where chosen students are made to go through a variety of tests to determine the top twenty test-takers who would be the best leaders and allowed to go to college.

305. Thx, you’ve just quadrupled my to-read list. SD

306. Awesome list!! I need to get started on The Mae Runner trilogy and The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness.

Trackbacks

1. […] to read for pleasure again? Can’t wait! Here is a list of books from The Perpetual Page Turner that you might like if you loved The Hunger […]

2. […] Hunger Games Hangover. Blogger Jamie, of The Perpetual Page Turner, put together a list of books that you may enjoy if […]

3. […] At Perpetual Page Turner: 15 Books To Cure Your The Hunger Games Hangover […]

4. […] 15 Books to Cure your Hunger Games Hangover. I can fully admit that I have not recovered from my Hunger Games hang0ver and I have been looking for something to fill the giant void for some time. I have heard of Diveregent and was considering reading the series, do you have any insight into this novel or any of the others on the list? Sharing is caring you know! […]

5. […] fan of Jamie over at The Perpetual Page Turner.  See, she did this post back in March entitled How to cure your Hunger Games Hangover which was basically other books you could read similar to the Hunger Games.  I found it on […]

6. […] the first book. From there, Sash had what our friend Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner calls “The Hunger Games hangover” – she was searching for more books to satiate her then unknown love of YA. All the while, […]