Confession: My name is Jamie and I have a really big problem with not putting down books even when I’m really just not into them. Even if I’m bored out of my mind. Even when I’d rather clean my whole house than read a book.
Why would I do this when I have so many books to read and limited time to read and do all the things I want to do in life?
This past weekend, while at the home of the lovely Anna from Anna Reads, we had a conversation about not finishing books we start. I learned that Anna isn’t afraid to DNF books she isn’t in to and she learned that I am one of those people who just cannot make myself put down a book once I start reading it…no matter how not into I am or how long it’s taking me to finish. It’s honestly rare for me to put something down. We had a nice conversation about it and she lovingly reminded me that life is too short to read books I don’t like. I made a promise of sorts that I’d try harder to put books down when I’m not into them.
I don’t know WHY I feel so compelled to keep reading books I don’t even like but I’ve come up with a few reasons why I think I do this:
1) I feel as though it’s going to redeem itself at some point and I don’t want to miss out on that.I just think that maybe at some point it will just COME TOGETHER and click for me.
2) Friends loved it and I feel like I need to keep trying so that maybe I’ll see the awesome they see.
3) I hate starting something and not finishing it.
4) I’ve stuck with books that took a while to get into and they’ve turned out to be some of my favorite books.
5) I’m always afraid that it might be a mood thing. What if I put it down thinking I don’t like it but it’s really NOT the book, it’s just my mood or i’m distracted. I touched on this a little bit in a post entitled “It’s Not You, It’s Me.”
6. I feel guilty because a publisher sent it to me so I feel I must at least finish it…even if that means a not so good review.
I can’t seem to just pry my little fingers away from the book I’m reading and just move on. I think it would make me a more efficient blogger if I were to cut my losses on books that are just not for me.
Are you able to put books down easily or is it a struggle for you like it is for me? If you are able to put a book down, how do you determine it’s time? A certain number of pages? Do you just KNOW you aren’t going to like it? Do you find that you will pick books up again that you have put down?
So, here I am, lovely readers…I’m going to make a vow to TRY and curb my compulsion to keep reading books even if I am not enjoying them. I think it will go very nicely with some general life changes I’m making to make my life simpler and do things that I truly want to do.
I THINK I’ve come up with a way that will slowly help me learn to mark books as DNF and move on. I’ll be posting about it tomorrow and I’ll need your help. So make sure to stop back tomorrow and help me!! I’m excited to kick this habit!
YAY ME. Making resolutions and things to better my quality of life 😛