To learn more about why I started doing this Save The Date feature and how it differs from my reviews — go here!
* Release date according to Goodreads
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
What We Were Liars Is About: For once I’m not writing my own synopsis because pretty much I want to give not even an inkling more than I knew going into this book:
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.The truth.
Why You Should Be Saving The Date for We Were Liars by E. Lockhart:
1. We Were Liars is one of the BEST books I’ve read in a LONG time: I’m not the type of person to proclaim every book to be amazing and the best and on and on because I try to reserve that for the books that REALLY mean a lot to me. I want you to believe me when I say THIS IS A BOOK YOU NEED TO READ. Everyone. I don’t care what you read. So please hear me when I say this: this book is beyond amazing, it blew me away and it is one of the BEST BOOKS I’ve read in a long time. I don’t have a rating system on this blog but I’m letting you know if I did this would be easily 5 stars and I’d try to cobble together more stars because it deserves more. I haven’t had a book really wreck me like this one did but I sobbed and I screamed and this is why I love reading…BOOKS LIKE THIS. A truly remarkable story from start to finish. Especially the finish. When asked what kinds of books I liked to read…this meets A LOT of those things that I listed. It’s just brilliant and my words are just paltry little things that can’t do it any justice.
2. The suspense: There’s something that happens and the main character can’t remember it and that’s pretty much all I’m telling you. GO IN BLIND TO THIS ONE. Please. I knew nothing about it and that made this reading experience the absolute best. Don’t look at anything about this book. You just need to know that the underlying suspense there is to this amazing story will consume you. I read this all in one day because I could NOT put it down.
3. The writing: I love how E. Lockhart writes — it’s smart, brilliant, funny at times, beautiful, heartbreaking. It’s memorable. It’s j a Jamie book through and through especially when it comes to the writing.
4. The Liars: I LOVED the Liars. Oh my god I loved them so hard. I loved learning about their friendship and the intricacies of this old money family. I wish I had a childhood crew like the Liars.
5. BECAUSE: You just have to. You do. This book is special. Truly. It’s different. It’s beautiful. It’s remarkable. I don’t want to hype it up too much because EXPECTATIONS but seriously…I cannot even begin to explain this book.
Who Should Save The Date: Everyone. Listen, I rarely make sweeping “EVERYONE MUST READ THIS” but I’m telling you do it. Read We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. If you start reading it and you tell me, “I don’t think this is for me” I’d normally say “eh just put it down…life is too short” but I’m going to tell you not to even think about putting it down. Seriously, pre-order it. I have NEVER said that on this blog ever.
A Sneak Peek: “It tasted like salt and failure. The bright red shame of being unloved soaked the grass in front of our house, the bricks of the path, the steps to the porch. My heart spasmed among the peonies like a trout.”
(this is taken from the advanced copy I received from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review, and could be subject to change)
Be on the lookout for my FULL review closer to the release date where I will flesh out my thoughts a little more!
Have you read this one? Are you excited for it?? Putting it on your TBR list?