End of 2010 Survey!

I know 2010 isn’t over yet but this is the time I start reflecting on what I’ve read and start looking ahead to those books I just HAVE to read in 2011. The holidays get crazy for me so I figured I’d do this now rather than when I’m running around like a crazy person trying to get everything done before Christmas.  I’ve read A TON of good books this year and I’ve really expanded my interests–I had never really read much YA (and definitely no paranormal) until this year. I love that my reading taste has become so eclectic! I can always find something to suit the mood.

I’ve created a little survey for 2010 that you can fill out about your 2010 reading experience whenever you want until the beginning of January. Feel free to link up with Mr. Linky and share your “Best of What I Read 2010″ lists and visit others on the list.

1. Best book of 2010? This is hard. I am bad at picking favorites. To make it easier on myself, I’m going to break it into YA & Adult. YA– Please Ignore Vera Dietz, The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/Mockingjay & If I Stay. Adult — Pride & Prejudice. Hands down. Ok, and Never Let Me Go!

2. Worst book of 2010? Well, I won a book called Assault on the Senses on Goodreads and it was so terrible that I couldn’t finish it. I’d say the other one that was just meh for me was No One Belongs Here More Than You: Stories. I really really wanted to love it because I heard good things but it just didn’t do much for me.

3. Most Disappointing Book of 2010? I’d say probably Under the Tuscan Sun. I liked it but I was just expecting something incredible. Everything Is Going to Be Great: An Underfunded and Overexposed European Grand Tour was pretty disappointing as well.  I was SO looking forward to this because I love travelogues and the fact that the narrator was a recent college grad trying to find herself–like myself. It was really funny but was disappointing for my expectations.

4. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010? Please Ignore Vera Dietz was a book that I heard about and it sounded like it would be a decent read but I didn’t want to fork over the cash for it. I ended up winning it on Lenore’s blog and was ended up really loving it!

5. Book you recommended to people most in 2010? Aside from the fact that I am always a Jonathan Safran Foer/Nicole Krauss pusher, I’d say that I recommended three books a lot this year– The Hunger Games, A Long Long Time Ago & Essentially True and Thirteen Reasons Why.

6. Best series you discovered in 2010? The Hunger Games trilogy & the Millenium trilogy. I’ve only read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo but I can’t wait to read the other two.

7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010? David Levithan, Jennifer Donnelly, Nick Hornby, Kazuo Ishiguro and Jane Austen.

8. Most hilarious read of 2010? I’m reading Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares as we speak and I’d have to see this is pretty freaking hilarious and will probably take the cake.

9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2010?  It’s between The Hunger Games trilogy and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I was glued to both of them because I just HAD to know what was going to happen!

10. Book you most anticipated in 2010? Along with everyone else and their mom–Mockingjay! But I’d say I most anticipated Great House as I loved The History of Love and Nicole Krauss is one of my favorites!

11. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010? I loved the symbolism of Chains  and I thought If I Stay was pretty fitting and kind of haunting.

If I StayChains

12. Most memorable character in 2010? There were so many memorable characters from 2010–some because they kicked ass and some because they were so evil! Isabel from Chains is one that I loved. Also, Katniss from The Hunger Games. And Elizabeth Bennet from Pride & Prejudice..so mad at myself for waiting this long to be charmed by her!

13. Most beautifully written book in 2010? It’s between One Hundred Years of Solitude and A Long Long Time Ago and Essentially True.

14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010? Oh boy. This is hard because I feel like a lot of books I’ve read this year have had a big impact on me. I’m going to go with Thirteen Reasons Why because a friend committed suicide this year and it was really thought-provoking and dealt with the subject well. I would say If I Stay but I just finished it so I’m not sure of the impact on me.

15. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to finally read? Pride and Prejudice–seriously. WHY did I not read this sooner?? If you haven’t read it, read my vagrant thoughts.

Book Blogging in 2010 (optional)

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2010? Well, I’ve discovered most of my favorite book blogs this year since I only just started blogging in June of this year. I seriously have a huge list of favorite blogs but I’m just going to name a few: Steph Su Reads, Presenting Lenore and The Zen Leaf (very eclectic which I LOVE because it’s hard to find blogs that have a little of everything like me–YA, adult, classics, non-fiction). Check out my blogroll for other favorites!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2010? Never Let Me Go. I was scared that I wasn’t going to be able to write about it but I was actually happy with how it turned out and the discussion with it. I also loved writing the review of Chains. I loved the book and really put a good deal of time writing the review it deserved.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog? I think either my post on Blogging Etiquette (for something more serious) or Bookworms on the Big Screen (for something fun!).

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog? I really should have kept a list of them. I feel like there have been SO many. Steph Su always has thought-provoking reviews and discussions. Most recently she wrote a post about negative reviews that had great discussion with it!

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? I really had a wonderful time doing the Read-a-thon. Met so many fun people and felt very productive!  PAYA also has a special place in my heart because it was the first bookish event I went to. I’ve also had some great times participating in Top Ten Tuesday hosted over at my other blog–The Broke and the Bookish. I’ve had some good laughs reading people’s lists.

6. Best moment of book blogging in 2010? I’d have to say any time I’ve met up with fellow bloggers at signings and festivals. I’ve met some awesome people! Meeting Jonathan Safran Foer was up there too! But probably one of the most memorable ones was meeting Laurie Halse Anderson and recording THIS hilarious video. Also, I loved how the book blogging community really came together with the whole Speak Loudly ordeal.

7. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.) ? Paperbackswap was my 2009 best discovery but this year is NetGalley. I haven’t actually been able to use it too much because I’m not getting my Nook until Christmas BUT I already know it will be the best discovery of 2010. I’d say Book Depository is another one!

Comments

1. This is such a great idea! I'm going to have to start compiling my list now because some of those questions are going to be really hard and I'm going to need some time to think. YAY for lists :)

I agree with Tara – this will take me some time to come up with all my answers. Hopefully I'll have mine posted before 2010 ends! That will be my goal :-)

I started a similar event at my blog, showcasing my fav YA reads that I read this year. It's been fun revisiting some of these books & being able to share them with other book bloggers who may have never heard of them.

By far though, my favorite moment as a whole: getting to know you & a few other book blogging peeps through our endless twitter chats :-)

3. Haha it took me FOREVER to do. I have a hard time choosing!

4. Okay, I love you so freaking much for coming up with some of the best blogging community ideas. First of all, I am totally thinking of joining up with Top Ten Tuesday next year (still deciding if I can afford the time I will need to come up with my lists!) and I am starring this post so I can do it on, like, December 31. lol. YOU ARE THE BEST!

5. Aww thanks Steph! :) I hope you do join up with Top Ten Tuesday. I can't wait to see what you'd come up with! It takes me a little while to do my lists but it's not tooo bad. Definitely more time consuming that doing some of the other memes.

Can't to see what your Best of List looks like because I tend to add A LOT of books because of your reviews!

6. A.S. King says:

Popping by to say:

#1 I *love* this idea and it's not just because my book showed up as one of your favorites of 2010. (And yay! Thank you!)

#2 And One Hundred Years of Solitude is one of my FAVORITE BOOKS EVER. Isn't it the most beautiful thing ever?

#3 *hangs head* I am 40 and I still haven't read Pride and Prejudice. I have it, too. So, this blog will push me to read it ASAP.

7. Megan Marie says:

First, this is a great survey idea. Second, I've stopped by to give you THIS award :)

8. Love this survey. Hopefully I'll do something like this toward the end of the month after I've had some time to think…

9. Sorry to hear about your friend, my cousin took his life in May of this year so I know the feeling. I read the Thirteen Reasons Why as well and hope that teens can read it and think about the way they treat their classmates.

10. This looks like fun and I can't wait to do it.

11. I'm working on mine now. I was wondering if you can actually NOT finish a goodreads win. I was really anticipating a title I won and I really can't even bring myself to read it. You mentioned you couldn't finish yours. Just wondering if they send out some secret book police! Awesome survey!! :)

12. Thanks for creating this survey. Great idea! :-)

13. Nice idea! I will definitely be adding myself to the list next week!

14. Beth– I've never not finished one before but I decided this one was just going to have to be the exception. I mean, you can't force yourself to read something really awful. lol Good luck with yours!

15. christina says:

Excellent survey. I love your book list! Never Let Me Go – *sob* David Leviathan – <3 He makes me warm and fuzzy. AND I TOTALLY MET HIM and he's super cool IRL too.

16. Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read says:

This survey is a great way of reflection!

17. (1) I am definitely going to do this, but like the other girls said…it'll take me FOREVER. (2) Okay, okay, I'll read Vera Dietz! I will have to move it up to the top of the to-read list you're raving so much!

18. pathichose says:

I absolutely love your blog!! It gives me so many great reading ideas. Besides, who doesn't love books?

19. Kristen @ Daemon's Books says:

This is a really awesome idea. I'm going to have to fill out a survey of my own. It's fun to go back and look at what you've read during the course of the year.

20. ChristaJLS says:

I love One Hundred Years of Solitude.
    I know a lot of people find it hard to get into but he just writes so beautifully I can't put it down.

Christa
    christashookedonbooks.blogspot.com

21. Teacher/Learner says:

Great idea to wrap up 2010! Thanks :)

22. Hey, thanks for the love :)

And I am totally going to do this later in the month. I am telling myself there is still time to find faves this year!

23. I had forgotten about A Long Time Ago and Essentially True, I wanted to read that but forgot!

Thanks for the survey, it's awesome.

24. Never Let Me Go actually didn't come out in 2010…it came out in 2005. Just because Barnes and Noble puts it on the shelves as "new" doesn't mean it's actually new…

25. Megan Hoover-Swicegood says:

This is fantastic! I think a lot of bloggers are wanting/intending to do a post like this and you've done the leg work for us. Thanks so much.

26. Um hey Anonymous–the survey isn't MEANT to be books that came out in 2010..just books that you READ in 2010.

27. jen7waters says:

I'm always happy to find out someone discovered Jane Austen and her P&P :) have you seen the movie already?

28. Great survey! I haven't read Pride and Prejudice yet, but I'm definitely going to read it soon.

29. Loved this survey! It was so much fun to do for myself. A little trip down memory lane :)
    ~Kell

30. Great questions! It was fun to reflect on the year's reading, and I think I picked up quite a few "to-reads" from reading everyone else's posts.

31. Thanks for this – as others have said, a really useful way to condense my thoughts on the year's reading. Great questions.

32. catherineryanhoward.com says:

Also did the survey on my blog… really hard to choose some of them though! Might make a list of the books I read in 2011 so it's easier to decide this time next year.

33. catherineryanhoward.com says:

P.S. Never Let Me Go is one of my favorite books of all time – glad you enjoyed it!

34. Avid Reader says:

I'm so with you on your most anticipated books. I'm glad you finally got to Pride & Prejudice too. You'll have to read Austen's Persuasion next!

35. bibliophilica says:

Thanks for hosting this. It has been quite a pleasure reading everyone's lists. We have several answers in common. But OF COURSE not Pride and Prejudice. Shame on you! :-D Just kidding – if you see my list I hadn't gotten around to reading Gone With the Wind until this year! (Shame on ME!)
    -Jay

36. Wow, that took some time! But great survey! Thanks!

37. Sarah Laurence says:

Hi Jamie, I’m here via Steph Su. Thanks for compiling this list from all book bloggers. I’ve added a link to my Best Gift Books from 2010 list and will link to your post from there too. We share some similar favorites both recent and from the past (LOVED 100 Years of Solitude.) Have you read The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende? It’s similar but from a female perspective. I’m looking forward to reading more of your posts. It’s so nice to connect with you!

38. Bloody movies – Never let Me Go is brilliant, but quite a few years old!

39. I am aware that Never Let Me Go is a few years old…so is Pride and Prejudice and many of the other books on my list. This survey is meant to be a record of the books I READ in 2010 despite when they were PUBLISHED.

40. runningshadow says:

Great idea. I loved The Hunger Games too! The trilogy is all over my survey, as well. :)

41. Liked this idea…so have added myself to the list too!:)

42. Finally finished it!!

43. kellyvision says:

This is the BEST idea! :)

44. This was *so* hard. Excellent fun though. :D

45. emilycsims.com says:

This survey was tough, but fun to complete!

46. waverlyandwaverly.com says:

found this through Gillian! what fun! thanks for coming up with it :)

47. Great survey! Thanks for hosting this. I'm going to spend the last few days of 2010 checking out everyone else's posts.

48. readerbuzz says:

I can't wait to look over everyone's posts!

49. Posted mine today – what a great idea!

50. This is such a great idea. Love reading everyone's favs. Posting ours tomorrow!

51. Kim Werker says:

Thanks for providing a way better end-of-year post than what I'd originally planned! This was far more fun than a rambling round-up.

52. SmallWorld at Home says:

Great idea! I'm already adding to my TBR list just with your survey!

53. Darlyn (Your Move, Dickens) says:

Thanks for hosting this survey! I've noticed The Hunger Games is practically in every blogger's survey post. :)

54. Thanks for hosting this survey! It was a good way to think back over the past year and what I've read.

55. M Caledonius Rae says:

Great survey. Thank you for preparing this.

56. I can't believe (but am so glad you did) discover and love Elizabeth Bennett and Jane Austen this year. You should also check out Northanger Abbey and Persuasion. Those three are the best Austen books imo.

If you liked Thirteen Reasons Why and had a friend commit suicide recently, then you really should read Nina LaCour's Hold Still. It's very beautiful and moving, and I think it'll speak to you too.

57. bookshelflust says:

What a fun list to make! I've been working on my 10 best of 2010 posts over the last week or so. But the survey let me include a lot of other great books that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to mention! Thanks! : )

58. I just added my link. Thanks for making this fun survey!

I'm new to your blog and I love your reviews!

59. Thanks for making this survey, it was fun taking it.

60. Great survey, but hard! Thanks for doing this. Happy New Year!

61. Mlle Pointillés says:

Such a great idea! I love it!
    Posting mine this afternoon on my french blog…!

Thanks!

62. Great idea, it took me forever to do though, I just couldn't choose! Haha

63. thereadingdate says:

Thanks for creating this survey! It was a fun way to remember the year in books & blogging.
    It was harder than I expected to complete!
    From your list, I also really liked Please Ignore Vera Dietz. And If I Stay is one of my all-time favorites – can't wait for Where She Went. I need to check out Never Let Me Go from your list.
    Happy New Year & happy reading!

64. I finally remembered to come and post my link. :) Thank you for hosting such a wonderful survey. It is great to see everyone's answers and compare.

65. After everyone's overwhelming recommendation of The History of Love I just picked it up last week. Hope to get to it in 2011! And definitely Ishiguro–such a fantastic author. I can't wait to read more of him (and re-read the old stuff)

Thanks for putting together the fun meme!

66. Addley C. Fannin says:

Always loved these things. :3 It's fun to compare everyone's answers, so thanks.

67. The Survey is a great idea! Thanks for coming up with it.

68. alexandra george says:

hi!!! just found your blog, love this meme! happy new year :)

69. Thanks for posting this survey out! It was a good way to review the year when it comes to books =)

70. This survey sounds fun… doing it on my blog. Check it out. Thanks :)

71. Thank you for this awesome survey, i've posted mine on my French blog !

72. playing.librarian says:

hi, i've just started my own book blog. this is a nice survey to start :) will be posting book reviews soon.

feel free to visit my blog at

73. I Read Banned Books says:

Whew…that took FOREVER! It was much harder than I thought!

Jen

74. Liz @ Through the Pages says:

Great survey Jamie! It's fun to look back at all the books I've read this year & see which ones stick out to me.

75. Library Steph says:

That took way longer than I expected but it's a great idea. Thanks for hosting it.

76. Wow, Great Idea :) Had my problems filling it out though :D Happy New Year!

77. Great survey! Thanks for posting it.

Happy New Year!

78. Finally doing this survey over on my blog! Happy New Year!!!

79. i started doing this because it looked like fun but it ended up really helping me clear my head and start to visualize things i want to do in the next year. Thanks and Happy New Year.

80. Thanks for this great survey!! :D
    And happy new year!

81. I forgot to add my link until just now.
    Thanks for creating the survey.

Trackbacks

1. […] at The Perpetual Page-Turner has created an end of 2010 survey to reflect on this year’s best and worst reads. I’ve read 21 so far this year, which in […]