Eric’s release party was at the coolest venue — Tattooed Mom
1. Will & I froze our butts off at Winter Jam: Our alternative radio station in Philly puts on free concerts sometimes (I talked about the Summer Block party we went to in August before). We snagged the free but limited tickets to see Andrew McMahon, Walk the Moon, Cold War Kids and The Gaslight Anthem. It was outside & COOOOOLD. Seeing Andrew McMahon was a dream because I was a huge Something Corporate fan back in the day and Walk the Moon was fun! Love CWK and it was fun but the first two stole the show. We left before Gaslight Anthem because Will’s layering game wasn’t as good as mine and he was too cold to handle it anymore.
2. We went to Eric Smith’s release party for his YA debut Inked — I was thrilled to celebrate this exciting day with Eric and FINALLY meet his lovely fiance. Will and I didn’t know anybody really but the venue was SO awesome and everyone was really nice. (Check out Eric’s guest post here on the blog)
3. Genevieve turned 3: I seriously can’t believe she is THREE!!! It was so cute because my sister said she woke up at 5am and said “IT’S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY!” so it was the first time she really UNDERSTOOD it. Had such a good day with them and then her party was fun.
4. SICKNESS PART 2- I was sick a lot in December and OH MY GOSH I CANNOT STAY HEALTHY in 2015 apparently. Nannying = GERM CENTRAL. I was doing so good. I got so lazy with trying to keep the germs at bay so THAT WILL TEACH ME.
5. I had a weird reading slump in January: It had nothing to do with what I was reading. I was reading good things. GREAT THINGS. BUUUUUT. It was like more like I didn’t read at all for the first 10 days of the month?? I just haven’t had a burning desire and think I may have gotten burnt out so I just let myself wait it out and figured I’d pick up a book when I wanted to.
I put all my Monthly Rewinds in a Spotify playlist so you can listen to them here now !
1. Shake It Off – Us The Duo (love this cover!!)
2. Big Guns — Ruelle
3. Kamikaze – Young Brother
4. Fits & Starts — Daniel Ellsworth & the Great Lakes
5. Under the Influence — Elle King
6. Trustful Hands – The Dø
I only read 5 books this month so I’m just going to go with my TOP book I read and then list the other ones I read!
1. A Darkness Strange & Lovely by Susan Dennard – awesome sequel!!
2. The Boy In the Black Suit by Jason Reynolds — so underrated!
3. The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey — book club pick that I really loved!
4. The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie E. Hall — I thought this one was a quick, fun read but I’m dying for book 2 after the way that ended.
I was so happy to share this one with you guys. GOD I LOVED THIS BOOK!!
” But this game here, I-DEE-clare war, is how life really goes down.”…. “I flip a card, then you flip a card,” he explained, and waited for me to turn my first card. A six. His was a ten. “Sometimes I win” — he raked the cards off to the side, close to him — ” and sometimes I lose.” He flipped another card. An eight. This time I turned a queen and beat him. “And sometimes,” he continued while flipping another one, “I can lose and lose and lose and I don’t know why. But there’s nothing I can do but just keep flipping the cards. Eventually I’ll win again. As long as you got cards to keep turning, you’re fine. Now, that’s life,” he said, pushing another hand I won over to me. ” — The Boy in the Black Suit by Jason Reynolds
1. Ten Series Starters That Should Be On Your Radar For 2015 — SO MANY GOOD SOUNDING SERIES.
2. The Five Best 2015 Books I Read In 2014 & Highly Recommend: These should be on your radar for SURE.
5. Reformed Book Buyer…Apparently: Habits change I guess!
Hmm the post where I talked about enjoying life for what it is or my review of I Was Here by Gayle Forman just because I know it has been a very polarizing book amongst fans and would have loved to discuss it!
I STILL didn’t do anything on Youtube this month. I blame getting sick so often. No fun to be snotting all over the place while filming. (this is why blogging is so much easier because being film ready is HARD haha)
1. Four ways to pursue new friendships – I am notoriously bad at pursuing new friendships — it’s a combination of fearing rejection, getting set in my ways and also just really enjoying my own time so much I forget to let others in. This was really SUCH a great post about friendship with four easy ways to be more intentional! BUT FOR REAL WHY IS THERE NO TINDER FOR FRIENDSHIP?
2. The Possibility In Blank Spaces: “Don’t see the emptiness in your blank spaces, see the possibilities.”
3. How To Forgive Someone Who Has Hurt You: Oh dear god I needed this post. I really try to be a person who doesn’t hold grudges because it’s clutters up too much and life is too short for it most of the time. Plus, I want people to be gracious with me, as I am only human, so I try to do the same and give second chances/forgive (when it’s not an unhealthy situation). But when someone really DOES hurt me deep down I really struggle to let go. I internalize. I cry. I try to forgive and let go. I fail. I feel awful. IT SUCKS. This post is PERFECT and practical and makes so much sense.
4. Today Is Not Over Yet: I saw this post on a day where I had slept in and messed around on the computer for HOURS getting NOTHING done. I was just SO frustrated. SO FRUSTRATED. I had resigned myself to the fact it was a waste of a day now. Somehow I had gotten into my blog reader and this was the first post I saw. Funny how you sometimes see the things you need to, huh? GREAT reminder.
5. Realistic Advice On How To Save Money To Travel: I’ve been in a situation I’ve hated for the past couple years of getting laid off. The financial struggles that brought made travel happen less for me and I can’t tell you how much it hurts my soul. For real. But I really do want to, as we rebuild our finances, want to prioritize and save money for travel. This article had some great things to think about plus linked to other resources!
What’s something you’ve been wanting to do but haven’t because something has held you back?
(This question is something I have been thinking about A LOT for my own life because I can recognize things I want to do but haven’t and there are a number of things that have held me back — fear, not believing in myself, sometimes it’s my own fault such as laziness or something)
Pick a category (or 5… or all of them) and tell me what went on in YOUR life this month!! What sort of things were noteworthy for you this month? New obsessions? Any new song recs?? Best books you read this month? Great posts I missed on your blog? Answer to my question of the month?