Top Ten Books Everyone Has Read…Except Me!

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at my other blog – The Broke and the Bookish – and is brought to you by the letter P…because procrastination is my middle name.

1. Harry Potter: Ok, readers of this blog. You’ve seen me mention multiple times on these sorts of lists that I’ve never read Harry Potter. SOMEBODY lock me in a room with a good reading light and only these books and a bag of Starbursts and Milk Duds so I can just GET TO IT ALREADY. Literally everyone I know…people who don’t even read as much as I do..has read them!

2. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater – I seriously feel like I’m the only one who hasn’t read these in the YA community. I was late to the game and just never caught up. I own them all and have even met Maggie…who is AWESOME.

3. Room by Emma Donoghue- Being an eclectic reader, I’m disappointed in myself for not having read this one yet as it seems like everyone from adult lit readers and YA readers has read this one.

4. Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead- Again, late to the game and feel like everyone has read this series! I even went to an event that she had at my local indie but I still haven’t gone out and gotten the first book in the series.

5. Jane Eyre — This is one of two classics (aside from the usual high school required reading titles) that I feel like EVERYONE has read…the other one being Pride & Prejudice which I finally read two summers ago. I remember girls in a college lit class talking about how they read this and P&P a million times and pretty much you couldn’t love literature if you haven’t read it. PSH. I love literature. But I just have too many books. I plan to read this during the Fall for sure!

6. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern — I know this book just came out but EVERYBODY has read it…even a lot of readers who read mostly YA. I want to read it!!

7. The Help by Kathryn Stockett – I swear every time I talk to someone and they find out that I like books they ask me if I’ve read this. I own it but just haven’t gotten to it yet. This whole summer I had Will’s aunt asking me if I’ve read this yet. Nope NOT YET…I will. I sound like a broken record.

8. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini — Friends of mine who don’t ever read have all read this book. Again..I own it but I just didn’t read it. I actually started it but wasn’t in the mood for it.

9. Divergent by Veronica Roth — Anytime I am with book bloggers everyone mentions this book and apparently I am the only one who hasn’t read it yet. I WANT TO. I do. I love dystopian novels sooo I need to get to this soon so people can stop being like, “OMG YOU HAVEN”T READ THIS!?!?”

10. Anything by Jodi Picoult — Everyone in my “real life” has read Jodi Picoult. Literally. Everyone has told me how much I would “like these books” but I just don’t think they know me. But still..I have about 6 of them on my shelf from other people “passing them on to me”…I need to either bite the bullet and read one to see if I like her or just pass them on…

Comments

1. April (BooksandWine) says:

I have pretty much punched every Jodi Piccoult book I've ever read in the face because I hated the endings SO MUCH.

And I am going to lock you into a panic room so you can read Harry Potter. For reals. Give me your YA fan membership card. You can have it back when you read Harry Potter.

2. LOLOL at your whole comment. Oh April, I love you.

3. homebetweenpages.com says:

Actually, if you're worrying about reading The Kite Runner, I wouldn't. I enjoyed his follow-up, A Thousand Splendid Suns much better, and if you're going to pick one, that's the one to go with.

I also haven't read Jane Eyre, The Night Circus (even though I got an ARC at BEA!), or the Shiver series. I own them all. You're not alone 🙂

4. Rebecca-Books says:

Totally with you on Shiver – not one I particularly am enthusiastic to read though and of course DIVERGENT. Maybe, we're just the only people in the blogosphere that haven't read that one? :S

5. READ HARRY POTTER!! Seriously!! You will love them!
    And Jane Eyre! I have so much love for that book, it's not even funny.
    That said, aside from the first book in the Vampire Academy series and Shiver, I haven't read these books either… Especially Divergent needs some getting to.

6. I have avoided Piccolt as well and plan on doing so for as long as possible. I just got around to reading both Pride & Prejudice and Jane Eyre and personally, I liked P&P much more.

7. Sandie @Teen Lit Rocks says:

I didn't read Harry Potter until 2008, when my son wanted to read it, so don't feel like the only one who resisted. Now I'm an unabashed fan girl! I have to confess, I haven't read all the Bronte sisters' books either. Get "Divergent"! It's an excellent debut novel. And as for "Room," it's not an easy to read book because of the heavy themes, but it's so beautifully written.

8. Sarah Reads Too Much says:

I just read Jane Eyre earlier this year, but still haven't read any Jane Austen at all. You will love Harry Potter, and the first few books will go really quickly for you. You MUST read The Night Circus though… it is a work of art.

9. Harry Potter is seriously a must read- so awesome and exciting and just the best things ever! I've got to advise you to steer clear of Jodi Picoult though, or just read one of her books and don't bother with the rest because they're basically all the same and it's just awful.
    Room, Jane Eyre and The Kite Runner are pretty great though, so go for it with them 🙂

10. Shut down the computer and go read Shiver. RIGHT NOW. DO IT.

11. It took me awhile to get into The Help but I ended up really liking it. Shiver I couldn't get through. I finally read the first Harry Potter book this summer. I thought it was cute and a good kids book but I wasn't that moved by it. Jane Eyre's one of my favs. I'm hoping to read it again soon. So many books so little time!

12. Bev Hankins says:

I could have put The Help and The Kite Runner on my list too. As two more that I probably won't ever read. Too many other books that I'm really interested in….

Thanks for stopping by!

I'm going to need you to read Divergent.. like yesterday. It's easily one of my favorite books of the year. Also, Shiver? Hello! Such beautiful writing. You're going to adore it.

P.S. I'm reading my first Harry Potter book next month! eeeep!

14. Wow, we have a lot of books in common we haven't read: Shiver, Divergent, VA, Room. I'm relieved to discover today there are quite a few people who haven't read Harry Potter:) I love Jane Eyre, it is a great book, romantic and dark, highly recommended. Thanks for stopping by.

15. Wow, we really do have a lot of the same book…. How crazy is that? I need to get on the Harry Potter Train SOON!!! hahaha 🙂

16. I think I've read too much Jodi Picoult. Her books are just too formulaic for me to enjoy them now. I read Jane Eyre for the first time earlier this year so don't feel too bad about not reading it, although I would encourage you to read it sooner rather than later.

As for Harry Potter, I'm not really a Harry Potter fanatic. I think I also missed a book or two along the way.

17. Amy @ bookgoonie says:

Jane Eyre was assigned in college. Loved it. One if the 1st books I couldn't put down.

18. SweetestLittleBookworm says:

I have read a total of one Picoult book. I got about five pages from the end, and my HUSBAND spoiled it for me. Yes, a DUDE. Turns out he overheard some of the gals at his office talking about it and blurted out the ending just before I finished the book. The book was going down a bad path for me anyway, but after the spoilage, I will probably never read another of her books again because I've hear they're all pretty much similar.

I've only read the first four HP books. I keep waiting for this big, gigantic awesome book blogger read-along for the HP books, but it never happens. 🙁 (Those books are total magic, btw.)

The only ones on your list I haven't read are the Vampire Academy books, and I am embarrassed about this.

About Room, being an adult fic fan, I read this one and loved it. It was really well done. Tough to get through, but I'm oh-so-glad I did.

You better get to it. You've got lots of great ones on this list!!

~Asheley

19. I've read everything but The Night Circus, but it's waiting at the library right now.
    What you need is a nice little illness or weather disaster so you can hole up in bed and just read!

20. Christina / Book Addict says:

We have so much in common- I also have not read The Help, The Kite Runner or ANY of Jodi Picoult either. ha. I really want you to read Vampire Academy though- remember how awesome that event was? You must get your hands on a copy! Oh, and Harry Potter is incredible!!!

21. Christina / Book Addict says:

22. I really enjoyed Divergent! I haven't read Shiver or the Vampire Academy series either.

Susanne

23. Sara (of the Page Sage) says:

We have 3 of the same books on our lists! (http://thepagesage.blogspot.com/)
    I want to read the Night Circus, but someone put it on hold before me at the library, and I simply don't have the money to buy it at the time! ): The Help is great, and the movie adaptation was actually pretty good, and this is coming from the girl who goes on rants about the HP movies that are longer than the actual film. I've never had any desire to read Jane Eyre. I prefer Jane Austen much more. (:

24. Amber (Books of Amber) says:

You've never read Harry Potter… I refuse to accept this. *Runs out to buy some Starbursts* I could write a whole speech about the series, but I think you already know how incredible the series is, even if you haven't read it!

I've never read any Jodi Picoult books either. I have a few here, staring me in the face and daring me to pick them up, but I just can't bring myself to do it just yet.

Books of Amber

25. I have only read 1, 3, 5 and 9, so you're not alone with those other ones! Room is SO GOOD! I listened to the audiobook last month and highly suggest it! The reader for the voice of the little boy is amazing (an adult woman – I definitely thought she was a kid). I'm planning to listen to The Night Circus soon (read by Jim Dale who also narrated the Harry Potter series which is amazing on audio!). Oh also, I did my first ever Top Ten Tuesday post today – are you proud of me or what? (please say yes)

26. 1. READ HARRY POTTER IT will CHANGE YOUR LIFE!
    2. I haven't read them either…
    3. Eh I wasn't head over heels in love with it
    4. Yup, again haven't read either
    5. I want to read this so bad, it wasn't required reading for me at school, but I have always wanted to read it.
    6. I have seen this book around and it has intrigued me.
    7. Saw the movie,which I liked, heard the book is WAY Better, but I am no longer as inspired to read it.
    8. The Kite Runner was actually assigned reading in high school and I read half of it, but my friends had it as assigned reading the year before me, and when they described certain details, i was too creeped out to continue reading
    9. Nope haven't read the series
    10. Ive only read one book from her.

27. Mickey @ imabookshark says:

I have not yet read The Kite Runner either, but I do think I own it. I just started HP not too long ago because I thought I was the only one who hadn't, and I don't like it that much. Sad story. The Help is great, and so are most books by Jodi Picoult. Shiver isn't that great, IMP. Room sounds fabulous but I haven't read it yet.

Great list!!! Here's my TT.

Mickey @ imabookshark

28. Ashley @ Bookaholics Anonymous says:

You guys are killing me with finding all these people who have not read the VA series. It's finished, and you don't have to be stuck with the darn cliffhangers like I was, but seriously whenever you get time read them. 🙂

29. You haven't read HP??? Get to it woman!! 😉 I loved Divergent, the VA series and Shiver, highly recommend those. I haven't read Jane Eyre either but i really don't like classics. =/

30. Lenore Appelhans says:

I haven't read 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 8 so you are in good company!

31. lisa [the nerd] says:

please read HP. pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease! i'm begging you. it will be amazing, i promise!

32. Vy (Vy's Blog) says:

*gasps* You haven't read HP?

lol actually I sadly haven't either. I'm in need of some down time to read it too.

Divergent is also pretty amazing and can't wait until you read it!

33. I haven't read Shiver either and was JUST thinking earlier tonight that I need to read it. I have all three of the books, LOL. Which of the JP books do you have?

34. As the Crowe Flies and Reads says:

I put The Kite Runner, too. If reading HP seems a bit of a challenge, try getting the audio books from your library–they're *amazing*. Jim Dale's reading of Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone was my HP gateway drug.

35. I haven't read any Jodi Picoult, The Help, The Kite Runner, Room or HP 2-7 either. Good to know we're not alone, and that there's lots of good reads left. Jane Eyre is worth it- I've even read it twice now. I'd never heard of Divergent til I started reading everyones Top Ten.

36. I haven't read shiver either–so you are not alone. thanks for stopping by today.

37. I can't wait to meet you this weekend (At the National Book Festival)! We can both be like "I WANT TO READ DIVERGENT BUT I HAVEN'T YET!!!" Because I haven't yet either 🙂 I keep wanting to get to Jodi Picoult books too, but haven't yet. I will eventually. You're not missing much with The Kite Runner, I had to read it for school and it wasn't super exciting.

Jess @ The Midnight Bookworm

38. Let's see:
    1. Harry Potter is a must. An absolute MUST!
    2. I have Shiver, but haven't read it yet. It judges me from it's position on the shelf.
    3. Never heard of it, but am running to see what it is.
    4. HATED these books. All of them. I wanted to burn them.
    5. This is probably my absolute favorite classic EVER. Beats Jane Austen, hands down, and I LOVE Jane Austen.
    6. I want this one! I want it now!
    7. LOVED this one too. One of my favorites.
    8. Meh. I'm not interested in reading this one, even though all my friends love it.
    9. This was on my list. Sitting on my shelf next to Shiver, where they give me doleful looks and ask me why I haven't chosen them yet.
    10. HATE Jodie Picoult. I refuse to read any more by her. Couldn't stomach the one that I tried.

39. I haven't read Harry Potter either, but I really do mean to eventually. Jodi Picoult is everywhere, but I'm not sure I'd like her books. I may try one just to see…

40. parolediscribacchina says:

The Help almost made my list too. As for the rest, I'd leave HP and the Kite Runner for a time you want to concentrate with only half of your brain on a book. Go read Jane Eyre, though!

41. I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't read Harry Potter either lol.

42. Thank you so much for commenting and following my blog! I really appreciate it 🙂

In response to your question about reading the sequels to The Hunger Games – of course I have! I read them all earlier on in the year, and now I am so excited for the movie.

I think I have read about 3/4 of the things you listed, haha. Room is an amazing book, one of my favourites!

I haven't read The Kite Runner either, but I really want to! I have seen the movie, as I used it as a related text in English, so I know what the story is about, but I would love to read the book.

Catriona

43. I recently read Jane Eyre and I would recommend reading it when you can. I enjoyed it.

44. You gots to get on Shiver and Divergent. Two really fantastic books to prioritize on this list. if it makes you feel better I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books either. I also don't think I ever will. LOL

45. Darith L. says:

I read the first HP book haha But I haven’t managed to read all the books >< I still need to read The Night Circus, which I own 😀